Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

Well, I'm getting tired of making lemonaid. But at the same time, I can't just step aside now can I?
 
I think I'm turning a corner. The last few days I've felt the best in my back since the wreck. I've even tried cutting back on one of my meds a bit without any issue. I hope this is a good sign for moving forward. I will also say, the cold settles into my back rather quickly when I'm outside. So I may have to bundle up more than I like when outside this winter.

In positive news, we are expecting to bring my wife home this Thursday. We were left with a lot more questions after this event than we have answers for. And we have a lot to do ahead of us.:sigh: At least she'll be home before all the bowl games begin...
 
It sounds like progress and I'm happy for you. Sometimes it's hard to accept that progress is measured in small steps. But being able to lessen your medications AND having your wife come home....BIG STEPS FORWARD!!! I am so happy for you.
 
Roger,

Really happy for you on the progress and that wife is coming home soon. That takes alot of stress off not having to do the traveling back and forth. Hope things keep on the upward swing for the both of you.
 
Roger,

Glad to hear things are getting better with your recovery and your wife getting home.

I can telll you from my back fusion experience that the "cold" you feel normal. I had the same issue until about 9-10 months post op. I actuall had an issue with the scar and about 2" ether side of it be super sensitive. It was difficult to have water running on it in the shower. This laster to about 11 monthe post op.

Sounds like things are going great for you. Hang in there dude !
 
In positive news, we are expecting to bring my wife home this Thursday.

That is great news, Roger! I hope she continues to get stronger with each passing day. She'll be cheering alongside you during the games while sharing the buffalo wings and blue cheese dip. And the fur kids will be absolutely thrilled to see their mommie home safe and sound. :doggieshmooze:
 
My wife is home, and seems to be doing well. We have a raft of appointments to get her too in the next couple weeks. I hope this is the the beginning to a long upside...

I saw my rehab doc (monitoring my bodily functions and physical progress, as well as med controls) earlier this week. He is very pleased with my progress. We discussed my main meds, Oxycontin, Roxycodone and Neurontin. I screwed up the refill process last week with the Oxycontin, and wound up running out over the weekend. I was all set for bad things to happen and deep pains to emerge. None of that happened. And even though I refilled the script, I haven't taken any. So, the doc is happy about that, especially for how recent the surgery and injuries are. Recent? I've been home for 2 months already, and I had surgery almost three MONTHS ago!!! As far as the back is concerned he says, 6 months is still quite recent. I'm ahead of where the average person would be, but he wouldn't say how far ahead. Probably a good thing. Since I am already so impatient. Also, as good as I'm doing in PT, don't rush things... Now where have we heard that? Hmmm?

Roxycodone is still a daily go to. When I have stressed my back even a little it screams at me. As happy as I am to be rid of one med, this one I still need. The doc agrees with me.

On the neurontin, I'm on a relatively low dose compared to many other patients he sees. I cannot do without this one either yet. I have pain in my feet (since the wreck and surgery) that moves around. Somedays on the top of my feet, or the sides. Worst is when it settles in the heel. I had tried to cut that in half before my last visit with him and that was disastrous. Because I'm on a lower dose, he says I can add an extra cap every now and again when I need it. Don't know that I will.

I also stopped in to see the occupational and physical therapist I saw while I was in the hospital. The physical therapist I saw the most was busy with a patient, but was happy to see me. My OT had a short time to visit and was pleased to see me as well. We talked about progress since the hospital and many other things. She says they are all happy to see former patients come back to visit. It does two things she said. One, lets them know they did a good job, but if there are other patients around, they see they can get better too... It was good to visit...
 
What a wonderful report. I'm so glad your wife is home now. That is better for both of you and should ease your schedule a lot. But I'm most amazed at your progress. You are doing so well....even with that impatience that creeps in now and then! :th_heehee: I'm glad you're giving that feedback to your caregivers too.....that's nice and definitely rewarding for them.
 
Roger,


So glad to hear the MRS. is home, that should really take a load of stress off of you. Also what an amazing report froom YOUR dr. Keep up the good work, be careful, and most of all be PATIENT.

Guess you really will be having a GREAT Thanksgiving, you really have so much t be thankful for this year.
 
roj--so glad to hear your wife is now home and that you've had a good recovery report. you've definitely come a long way. Do keep posting and keeping us up to date.
 
Even though my current recovery is for my back, I agree that this could help others. I was really happy with the doctor's visit. I just want everyone to know that despite all seeming good, things still can hurt. Sneezes are still very very "special". One today brought tears to my eyes. But the background pain is low enough I did stop the oxycontin. I really can't stress how much different this is from what I went though a year ago...

At therapy today, had some fun. One exercise walking sideways with a resistance band. 18 year old therapy assistant in training decided to do that with me. She used a lesser band, but not the lowest (her mistake!). So, even though I'm sort of slow with this exercise, she was slower. But it was great fun to tell her throughout the exercise what she was doing wrong... And she is going to be really sore tomorrow. Incidentally, last week my PT did the same exercise with me, and despite his being in good shape, he was sore the next day. Suddenly, I don't mind being "slow"!

Snowing tonight. Yippee... (heavy dose of sarcasm)

And with the wife home, we are going to start looking for a new bed this weekend. I narrowed some choices, so it shouldn't take long. I've wanted to re-arrange the bedroom for a while, but the waterbed doesn't move easily... The daughter can have her room back (after fumigating it to get my smell out she says!), and I promised to repaint it for her. I did try and get into the waterbed this morning. Took me 10 minutes to get out of it. Darnit. Gonna miss it!
 
I like your progress but I really enjoy seeing your attitude! Your progress is great and others should see what a positive attitude can do in moving forward.

Congrats and keep these great reports coming!
 
I'm humbled by a friend of mine. We were discussing PT in a local forum, my friend had a serious shoulder injury and has a really tight tendon that needs severe stretching. He has a high pain tolerance, I've watched him nearly pass out twice, and the only indication was his breathing changed. Here is what he had to say...

"there's two things about Roger and I at therapy;

1. When I am stretching my shoulder out and it sucks, I think, "Hey, look at Roger over there, he broke everything and he's going right along. Get on it, Sally".
2. When a guy with everything broken tells you your therapy looks like assault and is difficult to watch, it's a good indicator that it really is as painful as it feels. "
 
Back
Top Bottom