Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

Roger:

Your strength and internal fortitude is admirable. I am hoping that your wife is home for good soon and that you get your back under control and that both of you get back to enjoying life!
 
I wish I felt the way you all feel about me. I'm humbled.

What we are looking at is a 21 day regimen of IV antibiotics. Day 6 was today. They intend to move her to a skilled nursing facility later in the week. My concern is making sure the infection is indeed on the run and she isn't contagious. We're trying to get her moved to the facility here in town that she was in last December. That facility is being difficult again. But they are the only one in town, everything else is at least 30 minutes away.

I'm not really doing anything I wouldn't want someone to do for me. But yes, the far too frequent stays are really wearing on us all. She finally won her disability and with that will be some additional benefits. So even some financial help is on the horizon.:wink1:

As for me, my PT dug into my back with some simple arm exercises. But my back is sore today, as are my lower abs... But its a GOOD sore, so it won't be long before I can get back in the gym. Because I am still having issues with spasms and mild back cramps, my doc is having the PT issue me a TENS unit for home use. Hopefully, my daughter won't ever have the pads AND the controller at the same time! Though, I am one of those that likes to watch muscles jump... On the other hand, I am so tired of the cervical collar and not being able to drive!!! I have the collar through at LEAST the end of November.:hissyfit:

Adversity builds character I'm always told, I'm a pretty big character by now I should think. I mentioned to some friends recently, I need a paradigm shift. Even though I'm certain it wouldn't go in my favor!:DOH:

I'm flattered folks, truly...
 
Roger, just wanted to share that I hope your wife has fewer hurdles to overcome and that things will come together for you both. I don't know why we have to suffer so....it's so difficult and time just seems to stand still when you are in pain. I will continue to keep you both in prayer.
 
Its a year old now!

I wrote a too long tome for this and discarded it. It has been a wild year with big ups and one really big down. All are courtesy of my TKR. I have been able to run, play racquetball and ride my bikes again. I've not thought about hiking, or long walks through the mall, or even worried about stairs. I have been able to any and everything I've wanted to.

And yes, if I hadn't had my TKR, I probably wouldn't have had my bicycle wreck. And I wouldn't have found this forum.

As I am recovering from my back and neck injuries, I realize how lucky I am to have survived. Let alone, able to walk and type. My daughter may be tired of my story this year. But I feel compelled to share my knee recovery, as well as my current recovery with others. I have goals and plans for the next year, and will get to them as I heal over this coming winter. And I'll be here with my Bone Smart family.

Wonder how I can top this year?
 
Roger, I believe you can pen an inspirational story about your life and commitment to marriage, family & health for Guideposts, ReadersDigest or any health magazine ...I would be entralled with your life story.

Lifting you, your wife & family in prayers!
 
Congratulations Roger, your year has been so eventful and I also say thankyou for sharing it with us.
 
Roger

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Roger's New Knee, Happy Birthday to you, and many many more.

Now you need to go get a birthday cake and sick your knee in it.
 
Congrats on your year anniversary Roger....how about having a quiet year for next year. You have had way too much excitement this past year. I am so glad that you are doing so well and that your knees are cooperating. :thumb:
 
Way to go, Roger.....a whole year!!!! I just know things will get better and better for you. Your spirit and determination are such an inspiration. Your posts always brighten my day.
 
Adversity builds character I'm always told, I'm a pretty big character by now I should think. I mentioned to some friends recently, I need a paradigm shift. Even though I'm certain it wouldn't go in my favor!:DOH:
.


Well, I would say that you have enough adversity and you truly are a character! Seriously, yes, adversity does, I feel, build inner strength, but I would rather be, at times, a little weak than face so much adversity. Hang in there, buddy! You are moving forward with many things on your plate, and you are doing just fine!
 
Roger:
I too, am struggling with issues that started AFTER my TKR, but I can say life certainly has not been boring. I'm very impressed with your determination and your ability to share your journey with is.
I also have been vacillating between posting about my life now (like yours, back related), and my TKR, which still hurts, BTW.
I havent been posting alot lately because this is a knee forum, but I'm very glad you have posted your experiences because that migh encourage me to share with the Bonesmart Family.
May we both have a *quiet* year, sometime. Best wishes for your wife. When it rains it pours, huh?
Sandy
 
Not sure who to thank first folks!!! But thanks!

Sandy, I wasn't sure my continuing saga was worth writing about. Some of its for me, to keep things straight in my head. And some is for others that might be having some issues. While my KNEE might be amazing, what I went through on top of the replacement might be helpful. And then my year kept getting worse... My back is a whole new experience for me. And while I'm doing pretty good, I really know I have a long road. But with goals, I'll get ahead of things. Everything could be worse, and I could mess up and make things worse on my own. Actually, some of your story has helped me decide to keep going with mine. And keeps me in line with what I should do versus what I want to do.

Yes, and I'm ready for the rain to stop! My wife should be home again in a couple days, working with our insurance case manager to make sure things go smooth. We have a bunch of things that need to be done, and doctors to see.

I'm no superman, just a regular guy. With a solid knee.

Here is to a better year, Sandy. Best wishes for you...:wink1:
 
Re: Its a year old now!

Wonder how I can top this year?

Skydiving?

Seriously, I hope the coming year is largely uneventful in the catastrophic injury category. We want Roger to be living a robust lifestyle with his lovely bride at his side.
 
Roger and Sandy.....even though this is primarily a knee and hip forum, I believe your stories have a lot of value. You are part of the BoneSmart family and you both have joint replacements to deal with. But your additional challenges offer an insight into what some people go through following joint replacement surgery. It can put things in perspective for all of us. I do hope both of you will continue to share your journey with us.
 
Roger and Sandy.....even though this is primarily a knee and hip forum, I believe your stories have a lot of value.

Yes they do! Both of them have had an extra helping of life put on their plate and reading about their challenges helps me to put things into perspective and to be grateful for each and every day.
 
Sunshine, I gave up skydiving years ago. My last was over the island of Oahu in Hawaii. No way to top that one. I had wanted to hike and "peak" a couple local mountains this fall, but my accident postponed that. I had wanted to do something cool for my 1 year anniversary, but hadn't come up with exactly what. I do know, I will ride a bike on the 1 year of my wreck. Not in the same place though.

Jamie, I don't really want the take away message to be "gee it could always be worse". But rather, "Fixed that, what's next?" At least that's how I try to look at things. Not always that easy though. Gee, there's the optimist in me sneaking out again!
 
I think that message is coming through loud and clear! :thumb:
 
Back
Top Bottom