Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

Roger, head onward my man, things shall get better! So glad you postponed heading back to work. Work will always be available but time to heal is now. I will always sport a helmet when I'm on my bike from now on. So sorry to hear about your wife. Not sure how you handle stress so well but boy, I applaud you. Hope the adult children are helping out & that your lives are moving forward. You deserve it, both you & your wife. My best to both of you. Peace.....:grouphug2:
 
Reminds me when we brought the Mastiff home, at 19 pounds... Our Male Akita wanted nothing to do with this interloper. But after a short time he was playing tug with the pup... Of course, when we brought the Shihtzu home a couple years later, we told the Akita and Mastiff that you don't eat family. The new pup had no idea what was up with these monsters. But within hours was tolerated by the Akita, and the Mastiff adopted the pup as hers...

Wife is doing better, moved to rehab, we stopped in last night and I wish she would eat better. She seems in good spirits, though her med mix isn't right. But might be as good as it gets.

One day at a time, Beth. One day at a time. And sometimes minute by minute. Once something happens, you have to put it behind enough to say, whats next. In this case, therapy for my wife. While I am planning for her discharge, and hoping she will agree to see my PT (schedule appointments together, LESS stress on my daughter.).

My son and his wife aren't local sadly. But they try to come up as much as they can afford to. They do a lot around the house as needed. My daughter had already taken a year from college, since she is working at a job in her major, and the chances for promotion are very good. She has every expectation to finish school. But the opportunities in front of her right now are really tough to pass on. Anyway, she is the driver and we set our schedules and appointments around her. Plain and simple. She has friends to occupy some of her time that she isn't wrapped up with us.

I had a wonderful chat this morning with my friend that does home PT. She dropped off a tray of lasagna for me and my daughter... More importantly, she is helping keep me grounded with what I need for my own healing. She thinks my scar is healing very well. We talked about my therapist, and that I had asked him to start working next week on my back as much as possible. I'm tired of the cramps and spasms. She agrees that I need that pretty soon. And keeps reminding me I'm only 6 weeks post surgery. And this is barely 10 days after removing the shell.

It snowed yesterday morning. So i need to have someone pull my snowthrower out of my shed so I can run some fuel through it.... And lube the cables as needed. Of course, I'll check with the doc to see if I'm allowed to push the thing. Its not driven, or I bet it'd be no problem...

And a question. Has anyone here ever received a prescription for a certain type of bed? And had insurance cover it? I might make this a different thread...
 
Oh gosh!!!! SNOW!!!! This early......at least it seems early to me here in Kansas. I hope you can get some help with your snowblower.....take care of yourself with the bad weather setting in.
 
I suddenly realized, today is the 11th month since my new knee... While I've been pretty focused on my other current injuries, my knee has been perfect. The recent weather changes though have been predicted by that same knee! I still can't begin to think if the first days I stopped worrying about it. But its a part of me now. It is me. It doesn't hurt, it doesn't swell now that I notice. Admittedly, I'm not beating on it as I had been either! I suppose I need to schedule a 1 year follow up soon!!!!

In other news... I asked my PT about doing more back work as opposed to keeping my legs strong and doing minor balance work. I'm tired of the back muscles cramping and having spasms. So, Tuesday, I'll get what I asked for... And will likely regret!!!

And lastly. I sneezed last night. My whole torso paid for it. Whatever noises I made after the sneeze, woke my daughter up and she came and checked on me. Let me just say that that was some very very special pain. I saw stars for a few MINUTES. I'll live with cramps and spasms as long as I never ever sneeze again.
 
Roger, I had spinal surgery for a herniated T7-8 last year. They had to go through the chest, deflate a lung, put in a drain, etc. I'll never, as long as I live, forget that first sneeze, about three days after I got out of the hospital. I was on the phone with my hubby when it happened and my "cries" really freaked him out. It was definitely a very special pain, so I think I know what you're talking about!
 
Roger and Ms Heidi,

I feel your pain. I have herniated disc from T7 thru T11, no surgery yet just Epidurals every 6 mos, but if I sneeze or cough to hard I think the entire neighborhood can hear me.
 
Wife comes home next Tuesday, plans are already in place to see my PT. She really needs to get stronger. And I expect it to take a while.

I went to work the other day. For the MOST part, I can manage OK. But I had to see the Occupational Health folks which was a 2 hour drive each way. Part of the road was really rough. And that took its toll on me. When I got up to go to work the next morning, I was really hurting too bad to go in. Try again Monday.

Crazy or not, I'm putting my bike on my indoor trainer for the winter. Hoping I can tolerate the riding position. I have some old aero bars from my "glory days" that I can use to lean on and hopefully get comfy. Might even provide a place to hold my iPad for reading books or watching movies. So, thats my weekend project. I have a couple numbers in mind for goals on the bike for the winter. We'll see if I reach either of them.
 
You are indeed a trooper! You are making progress and have a great attitude. That bike on the indoor trainer is a very good idea. Keep us posted as to how it is working out.
 
Roger, I'm glad your are coming along with your recovery and your wife will be home soon! You two have been through so much. I know your positive attitude is helping your recovery. Bless you both!

My friend had back surgery last month. The surgeon ordered a hospital bed rental for her. With her insurance, she had a co-pay and will keep the bed for two months. You probably will have to check with your insurance as to whether they will pay for it, but with the prescription, if you buy it, you should be able to take it off your taxes - I have a friend who was able to take a pool off her taxes due to her hubby's disease.
 
Had the bike on the trainer and watched the rear wheel hop as I spun it by hand. Hop and wobble. OK, needs to be trued before I can ride that, even on the trainer. With a speed and cadence computer on the bike, I'm thinking 1000 miles is attainable, if I apply myself. And even ride when I don't want to.

My Monday is almost over. I feel, pretty decent. But looking forward to tomorrow off, to bring my wife home and therapy later in the day. My PT is getting me a TENS unit to take home. That should be very helpful.

My daughter and I have a few changes about the house to make for my wife coming home. All to keep her more safe. The downside is that she will be left alone for a few hours and there is NO way to change that. So she is going to HAVE to stay on one level where her recliner is, and there is a bathroom available. But this shouldn't be more than three days a week since I'll be home Tuesdays Fridays and weekends. And likely my duaghter will have days off that will make it even less for her to be alone.

She will be seeing my PT. And he has a plan for her. We'll see how things go!
 
The downside is that she will be left alone for a few hours and there is NO way to change that.

Is she able to get around fairly well? Would hiring a professional sitter on those days give you both peace of mind? Social services at your hospital will be able to refer you to an agency that may be of help to her.
 
She was OK that first day, but apparently she caught a pneumonia bug before leaving the hospital. Again. And she went back in the hospital again Thursday. She has a particularly ugly strain this time... Antibiotics are doing what they should. But are also keeping her from eating. Can't keep stuff down. She is getting better and we hope to have her on food in another day or two. She is so susceptible to infections its beyond ironic.

When we got her home Tuesday, she was quite energetic (for her). But Wednesday she was weakish, but safe. Next day, well, back to the ER. Back on the roller coaster...
 
Roger ~

As I was reading your recent posts, I was going to say how happy I was that your wife was finally home and that you were back at work. Then...your last post about her being back in the hospital with pneumonia! I'm so sorry. It just doesn't seem fair - you just got her home and now she's back at it again. I'll pray that she can shake the pneumonia and get back home to you!


I'm always impressed by your determination! When I need a little "pick-me-up" (which I sure do now), I usually head to your thread for some encouragement! You are always ready to tackle the tough stuff, and have such a positive attitude.

Thank you for being an inspiration!!!
 
My heart goes out to both of you! I know this is frustrating. But it's good she's where people will be carefully monitoring her. Hopefully it's just a temporary setback that resolves itself very soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom