Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

Roger, I came into this forum about three-quarters of the way through this thread. After being unable to sleep, again, last night, I decided to go back and read your post from the beginning. It's been a long, tough road for you and your family for the past couple of years. I've been traveling the same road, I think.
Two years ago, on 8/24/09, I had a heart attack about half an hour before I was due to teach an 8:00 a.m. class at the community college. I had sat down at a table outside, and, luckily, one of my students came and st at my table. I said, "I don't feel well.". Then my hands went numb. I pushed my phone towards him and told him to call 911.
I was really lucky that day. I was out of surgery, with a brand new stent in my right coronary artery within an hour of that phone call. My cardiologist told me I'd be better than ever within a week, with minimal heart damage. While he was right about the minimal heart damage, he was wrong about the better than ever part. Something had gone really wrong in my chest during the heart attack, and two years later, we still aren't sure what happened. The best guess, after many tests and many specialists, even spinal surgery to repair a herniated thoracic disk, is that I tore cartilage around the xiphoid process, the bottommost part of the sternum.
Anyway, it's been life-alteringly painful. It's been difficult or me to cook dinner, let alone teach, even though I've made it through a couple of classes each semester, with the help of pain medication.
Then there was the problem of the knees. My knees started giving me trouble when I was 20, and have just deteriorated and limited my activities over the years. I finally decided to go with the replacement that had been suggested to me five years ago by my OS. I figured it couldn't do anything but help. I have been so tired af my life being so limited by what my body could not do.
I guess I could identify with your detrmination to continue to find life's sweet spots, despite all the annoying seeds that keep getting in the way. I've had to remind myself often of all the wonderful things about my life a lot in the past couple of years, because I had many moments when I wondered what the point was of it all.
I, too, have been married for a long time, and I am still "the bride". I can imagine how difficult it was for your wife to be ill and put you through all that angst. I'm sure that it is very difficult for you to be the one putting her through it, now. I know my husband makes a far better nurse than he does a patient!
I guess my point in writing all this, Roger, is to tell you that I'm rooting for you, and your family. I kept seeing shadows of my life in your story and wanted to tell you that it's all good. I'm off to a new career of slaying dragons! At least, until I'm back in the classroom in January. I live on a mountain that cyclists just LOVE! I think I'll stick with the stationary and leave the thrill of the hill to them.
 
I sincerely and loudly applaud your attitude and determination! Keep it up! I have no doubt that you will return to a great physical state that matches your great mental one!

BTW--I ten to be very sarcastic as well!

My best to you!

Tim C.
 
The shell is mine for 8-12 weeks, give or take. The neck brace could come off sooner. I have an appointment tomorrow with the neurological surgeons to see where I'm at.

Heidi, sorry to hear of your own situations, and sincerely hope things take a turn for the better. Yes we've had rough go of things medically the last few years, but things seem to be going OK for now. My own situation not counting. I'm an optimist most of the time and tend to look for the silver lining. I like to share that attitude with others.

Tim, even my dogs get sarcasm most of the time. Way of life brother. Way of life. Thanks!
 
I see you were only out of the shell briefly for a nap? Best of luck at the appointment tomorrow.
 
Today is a blur. I'm on a cloud and still don't quite believe it. At my appointment, new Xrays were taken and the doc was happy with my progress. She took my TLSO brace off! I do have limits. But not many. I do have to wear the cervical collar for two more months. Which leads to my greatest restriction. No driving until the collar comes off. But I can attempt to return to work Monday if I choose.

Without the brace, I feel remarkably vulnerable. I need to start some core work, and have specific directions from the doc to my PT. And I hope I gain enough strength in the back so it will stop trying to cramp up on me...

Color me very happy this evening. I don't know if this is a normal time frame after fusion or if I'm special. I still have a follow up appointment tomorrow with physical therapy group at the hospital. I am certain, thanks to my own PT, they will be pleased.
 
Wow!!!! What fantastic news. Do be careful, though......try not to push the envelope tooo much just yet. Remember....slow and steady gets it done.
 
SLow and steady. I fought cramps in my back all night. And I slept without the shell to begin with. Feels, weird today.
 
I have just caught up with your thread.
What an ordeal!!!

You are amazingly positive and you put me to shame since I have been wallowing in self pity because I am facing possible fusion for severe degenerated disk at L5S1 and sciatic nerve compression on the TkA side.

I was 3 weeks out from my TKR when the butt/back/leg pain started, and that was March of 2010.

We are in the process of exhausting all non-surgical options at this time.

When I see the title of your post, I think you should change it to "Roger needs a new Helmet"....
:th_heehee:
Rock on. I'll be following closely as I'm headed that way.
Sandy
 
Roger, I am so pleased for you. Onwards and upwards, eh?
 
Sandy, I appreciate where you are coming from. I'm no superman (or I'd have flown out of my wreck...), but I've no desire to sit back and let this define me. In my case, this happened suddenly, not something that built over time. So that meant I had to deal with it. I really didn't have much input in the fusion, as my T9 was crushed and T7, T8 and T10 all had varying degrees of destruction. This was done during my "blur" days that I'm just not aware of what happened.

When I saw the doc yesterday, she said there had also been ligament and tendon damage that needed repair. And from the Xrays, she was delighted (she was VERY energetic about my Xrays) to see how I was healing. While I couldn't see what she was looking at, I was certainly happy that SHE was happy. I DID see the ligament damage in the first set of Xrays. And I could see how things were in proper position now.

I don't see how I can put you to shame. You've been through a lot, all spread out over time. You would be in exactly the same place I am if yours had been as time compressed. I have no doubt of that.

So, I went to see the physical therapy doc at the hospital this morning. He was very happy to see the TLSO brace off. We talked about my current PT and goals and back to work... I'll see him again in a month. Then we had some dead time before my wife had a doctor appointment. And I didn't have have any pain meds with me. Never really thought about on the way out of the house. Needless to say, whatever good mood I started the day with was gone by the time we got home and was WAYYY behind the pain curve. A couple pills and a nap and I was better, but still behind. But tolerable for the evening.

I'm a bit nervous about therapy tomorrow. But the doc yesterday left me a list for my PT... Time for some core work. Can I send a substitute?
 
Let me add one more positive... I weighed in at 269 this morning, cluding shoes and stuff in my pockets. Down from 294 the day of the accident.
 
Roger.....I'm happy for your weight loss, but this is one heck of a diet plan you have going....:hysterical:......don't recommend you try to patent it.

Seriously, though....you are doing amazingly well and it is so wonderful to read your posts. Keep 'em coming!!!
 
Roger,
I am so happy that you are healing so quickly and it is going so well. You have such a great attitude and I am sure that adds to your recovery. Take care of yourself,
Greda
 
Back
Top Bottom