TKR Robin’s Road to RTKR Recovery

I wish you luck with your PT session today. I hope you have an excellent match in a therapist. Someone that uses a relaxed, no pressure approach as they guide you. You certainly have the right mindset going in. I wish you only the best. Please stay in touch with progress reports. We’d love to follow your journey.
Happy Tuesday!
@DizzyBlond
 
@selketine Thanks so much for your input! My number one concern at the PT clinic is exactly what you experienced - being able to do all the exercises while I’m there, but then paying for it later! I absolutely agree with you about breaking up the number of repetitions throughout the day! I really appreciate hearing a bit about your journey - early morning trips to Target, increased bend as time went by, etc….. such a good reminder to impatient me to relax as I find myself only 3 weeks into a 12 month recovery! :)
 
How did your PT session go?!

Well at least if your overdo it at PT - it is frustrating because it feels like you're back at week or two in recovery but in a few days you'll regain what you lost. I finally told her I didn't want to do so many reps (early on) and later the reps weren't as much of a problem.
 
@selketine Well, I think I’ll have a better idea of how it went when I wake up tomorrow! Though I think I’ll be working with a few different therapists, my first visit included an evaluation with a nice, though no-nonsense, therapist who then had me work on a variety of quad strengthening exercises. She’s happy with my bend, but not so thrilled with my extension. So far I don’t feel too sore or swollen, but I’ll have a better picture tomorrow! Thanks for checking in!
 
Hi Robin :hi:
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and wish you a great Thursday and wonderful weekend!
@DizzyBlond
 
@Layla Thank you so much! Sometimes it’s hard to tell if I’m any different than I was 2 weeks ago as I live in recovery mode! (One day just seems so much like the day before, and progress is sometimes difficult to measure as it arrives in the tiniest increments! I think it was @mendogal who mentioned making a note of every new accomplishment - something I intended to do, but didn’t get around to actually doing.)

I thankful to really like my physical therapists - while encouraging me to do all that I can, they’ve never once pushed me beyond what I’m comfortable with, so that’s been a relief! I’m maneuvering around the house with and without the cane, though I admit to missing my walker simply because, with its handy basket on the front, I was able to easily cart around all the things I like having at my fingertips - it became a bit of a purse on wheels! :heehee:

At this 4 week mark, I’m thankful to be doing much more for myself - my husband is back to work, and I’m now doing laundry, picking up around the house, and taking care of other various tasks and chores that have gone without my attention for the past month. It’s a relief to have some normalcy back! Swelling has decreased substantially, though all the soft tissue around the knee is extremely sensitive - decided to try some prescription strength lidocaine to see if that helps. PT suggested trying a heating pad for the quad, which is still tender, and I’ve found that to be a soothing addition to icing my knee.

One quick question I have is about a new sensation that’s just started in the past 4-5 days, and that has to do with the sound/feeling of a click when bending my knee. It seems I’ve read others here having a similar experience - I need to search other’s posts to find out if it’s been something that might go away, or if it’s now going to be part of my new normal. I keep telling myself these are very early days and that’s it’s probably too early to know what this will be like in a year’s time - like everyone else, I’m just so eager to hurry it all along! Both my surgeon and PT team assure me that I’ll be turning a corner in another few weeks - till then, just trying to take it one day at a time!
Thanks so much for checking in!
 
One quick question I have is about a new sensation that’s just started in the past 4-5 days, and that has to do with the sound/feeling of a click when bending my knee.
Many of us have this sensation. I had it with both my knees. Righty (which was done 2-1/2 years ago) is pretty quiet now; but leftie (at 7 months out) is still "noisy" -- although no one hears it except me, so I guess it's just bone conduction!

Here's an article from our library that you might find helpful:
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery
 
I'm eternally grateful my ortho team reminded me ahead of time to expect the clicking!

My 18 month old L knee is a metronome. It should have been wired as a step counter.

Nowadays often the clicking is at a very low volume, but if I have done strength training or, as I just did, stand too long at the easel, it gets loud and I know it's complaining!

My newer R knee, not so much but I have noticed it too clicks after working on the leg machines.
 
At this 4 week mark, I’m thankful to be doing much more for myself - my husband is back to work, and I’m now doing laundry, picking up around the house, and taking care of other various tasks and chores that have gone without my attention for the past month. It’s a relief to have some normalcy back!
Such a good feeling, I remember this. After joint replacement, you look forward to "normal".
You're doing great, keep it up! :)
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Robin :wave:
Have a great Sunday and week!
@DizzyBlond
 
Thanks so much, @Layla!

My 2 month check-in finds me enjoying more and more “regular” life, while continuing to try to find the balance between “too much” and “not enough” when it comes to activity and PT/exercising. :chinstroke: This long and non-linear recovery can be so puzzling - just when I think I’m able to do more than I did a week or two before, my new knee says, “Oh, no you don’t!,” and I’m back to icing, elevating, and trying to figure out where I crossed the line! :what: I’m sure I’m not alone in this ongoing conundrum!

But on to the good stuff! All walking aids have been stored away for almost 4 weeks - so grateful to feel so steady and confident on my feet! I’ve been driving since my last post - wow, does it feel good to not have to be chauffeured everywhere! I’ve got 2 more weeks of PT, which has been a wonderful challenge. I’m currently at 120 - 125, with a little gentle “encouragement.” At my last visit the therapist said he thought I’d get to 130 before I’m finished. My extension around +3 or so. My therapists are really happy with my weekly improvement, and I can see/feel the difference in my quad strength, ability to manage steps a little better, etc.

I saw my surgeon last week - he took X-rays (everything looking just as it should) and we went over the details of the surgery. (I wanted to know all the gory details.) He took one look at my ROM and was thrilled - he didn’t measure, just wanted to watch and see what my new knee was capable of. After that appointment (which included a very long walk from the car to the orthopedic dept.), we went to Costco - my first post-op visit to a big box store. It felt fantastic to finally be out shopping, though by the end I was holding pretty tightly to the cart! It was a long day filled with the most steps I’ve had since my surgery, and despite the need to ice and elevate as soon as I got home (and some very tight and uncomfortable quads and hamstrings the next day), it felt like a bit of a triumph!

My concerns now are about how things go from here on out. I feel like my PTs have been “holding my hand” throughout these early weeks… answering my questions, massaging achey muscles, changing up exercises, etc. I’m sure they’ll send me off with good instructions once I’m finished, but I’ll sure miss the twice-a-week assessment and input!

Though I started this journey with what I thought were eyes open to the fact that this would be a 12+ month recovery (something my OS reiterated last week), what I didn’t realize is how slow and wearying this process would feel! But the big picture is great, and I fully expect to come out of this with not only a fully functioning new knee, but a big boat-load of new-found patience, as well! :) :-) (:
 
I feel like my PTs have been “holding my hand” throughout these early weeks… answering my questions, massaging achey muscles, changing up exercises, etc. I’m sure they’ll send me off with good instructions once I’m finished, but I’ll sure miss the twice-a-week assessment and input!
We may not be a match for your PT, but collectively we're informed and ready to advise when able. Here to support always. Lights never go out!
Have a wonderful week and thanks for the inspiring update, Robin!
@DizzyBlond
 
@Layla Thank you, my BoneSmart friend! Without question I’ll be hopping on for answers, suggestions, and reassurance in the days ahead! So grateful for all the wisdom, advice, and experience to be found on this great forum. :SUNsmile:
 
just when I think I’m able to do more than I did a week or two before, my new knee says, “Oh, no you don’t!,”
Exactly why we say that this recovery is a roller coaster ride! The good news is that the dips get shallower and shallower as time goes on -- and eventually disappear.

You're doing great!
 
This isn’t where I expected to be at the 10 week mark, but here I am, seeming to have hit an exceptionally long stay on the ODIC bench - I’d so appreciate any thoughts on how to proceed from here! :sigh:

Back story: I was having a great week last week - so good, in fact, that I went out to lunch, then added 2 hours of shopping on top of that simply because it felt so great to be out and about! No problem doing all of that at the time, but the next day? OUCH! I felt as if I’d torpedoed back to week 2-3, with pain, swelling, and tightness I hadn’t had since those early days.
Now here I am, 5 days later, and I’m still not back to where I was prior to that bad decision to do far more than I was ready for. I’ve been icing and elevating, but not sure if I should continue to do my PT stretches or if I should really curtail all activity. I’m feeling a bit apprehensive that this set-back is lasting so long - I've got a lot of “regular life” obligations coming up at the end of month, and now feeling like it was a mistake to make those commitments when I was just certain I’d be good to go at the 3 month mark. :sad: Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
 
So sorry to read that you are still stuck on the ODIC bench, @DizzyBlond. But it sounds like you are doing all the correct things (icing, elevating and cutting back activity) to help yourself heal. Give it a bit more time.

Remember that you are still very early days in this recovery. All your soft tissues are still healing from surgery, and so are very susceptible to overuse. It can take up to 3 months for ligaments and tendons to fully heal!

You are probably tired of hearing this, but try to exercise that Patience Muscle a little longer. You'll get there!
 
Remember the icing and elevating should be at least 45 minutes at a time.
Short walks in the house and very slow gentle stretching should be ok, so should be some quad sets while icing and elevating.
 
I am sorry you're hurting after your lunch and shopping outing.
While feeling guilty can be a natural response to a setback it won't help with the healing process so please be compassionate with yourself. It is difficult to recognize our limitations when we're feeling good and it usually doesn't hurt, until we stop. Look at this as a learning experience to adjust your expectations to a more realistic timeline. While you're taking it easy, focus on the progress you've made, celebrating those victories.
Since you have obligations to meet at the end of the month, rest up while you're feeling sidelined, engage in the activities of daily living, ice, elevate and I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon.
Wishing you peace and comfort. :console2:
@DizzyBlond
 
I’ve been icing and elevating, but not sure if I should continue to do my PT stretches or if I should really curtail all activity.
IMO, you should skip PT until your knee settles back down. Just taking care of your easy daily needs is all that you should be doing right now. The ODIC is a bad place to be, and you want to get out of there and stay out of there!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom