TKR Robin’s Road to RTKR Recovery

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Robin!
I hope you're feeling better these days. You mentioned some commitments you had toward the end of this month and I certainly hope you're feeling up to it by now. :fingersx:
Have a great week! :)
@DizzyBlond
 
I'm a little late to the official 3 month party - but hopefully better late than never! :wave:

How kind of you to remember my end-of-Spetember busyness, @Layla! It has been a whirlwind of many commitments - in fact, I'm now back to my pre-op level of participation at work, with much more on the horizon as the holidays get closer. It's not always easy, despite the fact that I have more and more decent days - the physical weariness is real, not to mention the knee tightness and achiness when I overdo. (The good days often fool me into thinking I'm closer to that full 12-month recovery than I actually am! :nah:)

I have one last PT visit this week - it'll be an evaluation, with a report sent to the surgeon. My bend was just shy of 130 a few weeks ago, so I think I'm good in that department, but I still struggle with quad tightness, which I suppose is to be expected. My biggest question as I look ahead is "Now what?" Find quad-strengthening exercises on YouTube? Let the passing of time bring further recovery and just wait it out? I was kind of hoping my daily recumbent bike ride would be sufficient, but I'm not sure that's the case.

Having many friends who've had this surgery and have had far more struggles than I have, I feel incredibly fortunate to have had an uncomplicated recovery so far - and the gift of mobility is something I'll never take for granted! Can't wait for the better and better days ahead!
 
Great update!

If your goal is to rebuild quads strength, mass, and tone - and I say "if" because not everyone has that goal; I sure do! - the bike won't do it.

At three months out, your bones, tendons, and ligaments are just healing. Some people are comfortable starting more strength training at 4 to 5 months; I chose to wait longer to ensure I didn't overtax my tendons as I have joint laxity that puts me at risk.

For now, to be prudent, I'd recommend increasing the walking distance and the biking. Walking is excellent for helping the implant fit nicely and for helping the support soft tissues readjust to your new structure.

Some people like to do (look them up!) "short arc quads" and "long arc quads." You can safely do some now without ankle weights. After 4 months you can try 2# to 5# weights.

Personally I prefer using machines - my Medicare secondary insurance covers membership in a gym!

However you decide to do it, here's some guidelines:
- Protein! We seniors need high quality protein at every meal, not just a big hunk of meat at dinner, in order to build muscle
- Move slowly! It's "time under load" that builds muscle. So move in both directions as slowly as you can while deep breathing.
- Protect your tendons! While moving slowly, don't lock out your knees in either full extension or full flexion. Going back and forth slowly in the middle zone will protect tendons while keeping muscles "under load."
- Don't do multiple sets! Slowly work your muscles until they feel a little trembly (unless there's pain sooner than that! If there's actual pain, stop!) and then don't do that exercise again for several days.
- Don't do big increases in weights! - I was taught a rule of thumb of about a 10% increase and then staying there for a few workouts before increasing again.
 
I feel incredibly fortunate to have had an uncomplicated recovery so far - and the gift of mobility is something I'll never take for granted!
Love your spirit of gratitude. Thanks for the update, Robin!
Have a wonderful week!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom