TKR Rita's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly so Rita and yes do try the co-dydramols they are so relaxing and I slept through, only waking once for the bathroom (such a chore at night) but I went right back off to sleep. Yes we are doing famously, external swelling gone just stiff in the morning and a little tight during the day. Whoop whoop :yay:.
Love to all Viv xx
 
Haven't posted for a few days, just been busy 'chatting' to others. So here's my progress report from Day 24.
Am taking a couple of 10 minute walks each day - with husband but wothout a crutch. Getting him to observe gait & correct me where needed.
Managing around 8 mins 2-3 times a day on exercise bike, could probably do a bit more, may stretch it to 10 mins if the mood takes me.
Have been to a Choir concert, had to be in the audience not the choir unfortunately but still enjoyed it.
Have booked another holiday. Taking caravan back to France at end of August for 3-4 weeks, yippee.
Made a steak & mushroom pie (steak cooked pre-op, pastry courtesy of supermarket) but I assembled it.
Sleeping better but still a bit patchy. Have had two lots of Acupuncture for lower back/sciatic pain & it is improving.
Planning to go to London in 3 weeks to visit my lovely daughter who has bought Ballet tickets for us.
Pain is not too bad, paracetamol + Naproxen are doing the trick, haven't really cut down yet, more interested in keeping mobile.Physio on Monday, hoping she will say I can go in swimming pool.
So all in all, things are good. :tada:
 
Well done Rita, I am on the exercise bike too but cannot seem to do a complete turn yet just forward and backward. My quads were so atrophied before the op that I think it will take a good while before they return. I am so stiff but massage twice a day with arnica and do my physio exercises, I suppose it will just take longer for me but I know I will get there eventually.
Off to Church tomorrow and have been advised to take a rubber ring to sit on (dont laugh) as my hip plays up sitting on a hard surface - we will try.
Physio for me too on Monday.
Love to all
Viv xx
 
your doing very well physio told :cheers2: me to stay off bike not ready and not ready for swimming might ignore about bike.walking i think fine wife not here to keep reminding me about gait i just forget feels normal to me.If could drive caravan would be down south now will get plane.No pre cook just made cauliflower cheese poured over garlic mushroom and duck egg broke in sauce and toasted not bad if say myself oh and 2 glass of wine my sleep tonight.
 
your doing very well physio told :cheers2: me to stay off bike not ready and not ready for swimming might ignore about bike.walking i think fine wife not here to keep reminding me about gait i just forget feels normal to me.If could drive caravan would be down south now will get plane.No pre cook just made cauliflower cheese poured over garlic mushroom and duck egg broke in sauce and toasted not bad if say myself oh and 2 glass of wine my sleep tonight.
You a veggie? Remember you need protein to mend properly!
 
oh no tommorow is my homemade piella wife away full of fish chorizo and GARLIC that should mend anything
 
when my wife comes home next week will show her this always telling me i put to many bulbs in,but its medicinal:dancy:
 
Rita, you are making excellent progress - good for you. It's all going in the right direction for you. I like the sound of all your trips that are booked. We are off to France in a week - we get a ferry to Roscoff and then head off to Vannes, Saumur and then Concarneau :happydance: . Where are you heading to in France? Lucky you going for 4 weeks - all that lovely food and wine!!!
 
Rita, your recovery story is encouragement to me!! And I'm so glad you discovered the cause of your dizziness. I also have had episodes of sciatica but I'm thinking they were triggered by something in PT. It's eased up some and now I can sit in a chair for longer than 15 minutes without squirming around. Are any of your meds anti-inflammatory? I've been wondering how they affect patient outcomes. Like if they can reduce swelling and pain? I'm unable to take them due to GI bleeds. I've been considering acupuncture but will wait to hear how you're doing after your treatments. All in all, you're doing an amazing work of healing and recovering and continue to be an inspiration among BoneSmarties. Thanks for sharing! :happydance:
 
Haven't posted for a few days, just been busy 'chatting' to others. So here's my progress report from Day 24.
Am taking a couple of 10 minute walks each day - with husband but wothout a crutch. Getting him to observe gait & correct me where needed.
Managing around 8 mins 2-3 times a day on exercise bike, could probably do a bit more, may stretch it to 10 mins if the mood takes me.
Have been to a Choir concert, had to be in the audience not the choir unfortunately but still enjoyed it.
Have booked another holiday. Taking caravan back to France at end of August for 3-4 weeks, yippee.
Made a steak & mushroom pie (steak cooked pre-op, pastry courtesy of supermarket) but I assembled it.
Sleeping better but still a bit patchy. Have had two lots of Acupuncture for lower back/sciatic pain & it is improving.
Planning to go to London in 3 weeks to visit my lovely daughter who has bought Ballet tickets for us.
Pain is not too bad, paracetamol + Naproxen are doing the trick, haven't really cut down yet, more interested in keeping mobile.Physio on Monday, hoping she will say I can go in swimming pool.
So all in all, things are good. :tada:


Congrats Rita! I’m jealous of all your travel plans! It’s been so long since we’ve gone on a vacation, I think we’re due for one.
My husband finally set up the recumbent bicycle for me. I gave it a short test this morning and I’ll start doing that during the week. We have a treadmill too, I’ve only done that for 5 minutes at a time. I’m sure I could do more but it’s just boooring. Today I went shopping at one of my favorite shops, went out for dinner and then a short stop at the grocery store. I’d rather exercise that way if I can.
I’m still using my meds too. Keeps me moving! I’m taking Percocet, use 2 to start my day, take 1 later on unless too sore will take 2 and I’ve been trying 2 extra strength Tylenol to sleep. Last night I took Percocet instead because I’ve been sleeping so bad but it didn’t make any difference.
I have trouble with sciatica too. That’s been going on the past 10 years. Usually nothing I can’t deal with but seems surgery on the left leg made the sciatic nerve a bit cranky. Finding something to help nerve pain isn’t easy. I may have to investigate acupuncture if this doesn’t let up.
Keep up the good work, you’re doing awesome!
 
Thanks everyone. Richard the paella sounds awesome, have never made it myself, only bought it from huge pans in markets in France! Might try though (anything you can do ....)
Jo - we are going to our very favourite spot close to Vannes. It is a little place called Arradon & has a caravan site right on the Golf de Morbihan - beautiful, can't wait. You are going to Vannes too, have you been before? It's really lovely.
Sorry to make you all jealous of my holiday planning - we tried to go to Brittany last Sept but had a nasty accident close to Dover resulting in both car & caravan being written off - but we, fortunately were completely unhurt. So we're having another attempt!
So good to hear from all my new 'friends' Bonesmart is a real find. I am big advocate. :)
 
Hi had a look google maps looks nice that area.Have had paella in france markets and spain but best i had was in dominican,mine is my variety when i am on my own my wife likes garlic but i go over top .House will be aired before she comes home next saturday.Have a glass of wine for me .
 
Rita, your recovery story is encouragement to me!! And I'm so glad you discovered the cause of your dizziness. I also have had episodes of sciatica but I'm thinking they were triggered by something in PT. It's eased up some and now I can sit in a chair for longer than 15 minutes without squirming around. Are any of your meds anti-inflammatory? I've been wondering how they affect patient outcomes. Like if they can reduce swelling and pain? I'm unable to take them due to GI bleeds. I've been considering acupuncture but will wait to hear how you're doing after your treatments. All in all, you're doing an amazing work of healing and recovering and continue to be an inspiration among BoneSmarties. Thanks for sharing! :happydance:
Yes Mary Grace some of my meds are anti inflammatories. Naproxen taken twice a day (it's what I had before surgery as well for general arthritic pain). they don't bother my gut, but the medics always insist that they are taken along with a 'stomach protector', called Omeprazole here. If you have a hx of GI bleeds it's a real difficulty. Good luck with finding something that works.
 
Rita, you are do great! It must feel nice planning all the wonderful get a ways! Good for you and hubby! Enjoy!:friends:
 
Hi everyone,
Oh well done Rita with all your planning for hols etc., isn't it great to be getting back to normal ? I am on naproxen twice a day too which like you I was on for my arthritis before my op, and of course the omeprazole. Thats about it now, although I do take my co-dydramol at night.
How are you doing Jacky ? You were my real inspiration with your positive attitude, is there any moment that you feel regret that you had them done together ? My surgeon refused to consider it or I think I would have taken the plunge myself.
Best of luck to everyone, and just a little "funny" which was not so funny at the time. Went to Church yesterday for the first time in weeks. I stood for Communion but when I went back to my pew I must have bounced down too hard on my rubber ring (borrowed from my friends daughter after her particularly bad delivery of her huge baby...) and unfortunately an anti social sound followed. In the midst of all that holiness and peace it sounded like a whoopee cushion had been squashed, and by me. :blush: there was nothing for me to do but smile weakly at everyone. I dont think I will be taking this again although it did help my hip.
Love to all,
Viv xx
 
OMG Viv, you had me crying with tears of laughter over here with that whoopee cushion sound! :loll: I can only imagine how you felt! You coulda cleared the church! :sick: Too funny!

No Viv, I never had regret of having them both done at once. I am so happy I did because they a both healing very well, and at going on the 5th week post op I can believe how well my new knees are doing! I feel blessed!
 
Good Morning Rita

I hope all is well with you and your knee. It will be a week today we take off on our French road trip :yay: . Yes, it will be our first time to Vannes - it certainly looks a beautiful place to explore. I hope the weather improves in the next week, I really don't know what's happening with all these weird weather patterns around the world??? We are going to have a beach day and I am thinking of checking out your beach.

Take it easy with your knee so you can really enjoy your trip to London that is coming up soon. Good wishes to you :thumb:
 
Keep going Jacky its an attitude like yours that pays dividends xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom