Guest viewing is limited

TKR Rita's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning everyone, another new revelation for me today. I have noticed that when I remove my TED stockings to take a shower the leg I see is not the leg that my brain 'feels'. If I were blindfolded & asked to describe how my knee feels I would say "It feels a bit swollen & tight & it has a VERY firm elastic dressing on it" which of course it hasn't! The knee I see looks almost 'normal', except of course it has been sliced open & is surrounded with very colourful bruising! The tingling/fizzing feeling that runs down my shin is so powerful that I would swear you could see it happening! All very interesting. It definitely messes with your head :scratch:
Thinking about you all & enjoying reading about your progress, God Bless everyone x
 
Wow, what a star of a husband - all my favourites too!!! Quite right, as you should be spoilt at this time - enjoy my friend!!
 
Friday Day 16. What a terrible night. Went to bed by 22.30 as both completely cream crackered. Hubby asleep by 22.35, me still awake at 02.30! Got up for the (now nightly) wander around the house, drink, snack, a few chapters of library book, pain killers & then finally asleep by 04.00h. Hubby - having had a good night woke & got up at 05.00!!!!
BUT - a good day. Gingerly tried my exercise cycle, prepare to gently rock back & forth as recommended in THE book & found I could easiily do full rotations. Have done 5mins x 2 today. No walking outside due to English 'summer' weather - pouring rain. Friends visited & we went out for lunch, so lots of good things. Acupuncture has reduced the sciatica, not got rid of it yet but I am hopeful. Total knee leg is looking amazing, may post a pic on 'battle scars' page. It is feeling VERY tingly & sensitive to touch, discovering different pains/discomforts as I tackle different things, but overall still very happy. Really very grateful for all the support & chat here in Bonesmart land :thankyou:
 
:SUNsmile:Really nice update, Rita. Sorry you're still dealing with the elusive sleep gremlin.:mcoffee: He will eventually get bored with you and go away--never soon enough to suit though. It's so nice to do "normal" things like going out to lunch. Sure glad the sciatica pain has been reduced---it's a miserable thing to have to put up with. Having my right hip replaced got rid of mine. You seem to be doing really well for just a little over 2 weeks post op--Take care, we care.
 
Rita, sounds like life is coming back together for you a bit! I love that party you described above, chocolate, rib eye steak, wine and smoked salmon! Oh man can I ever taste each morsel! Jealous, jealous, jealous is all I can say! Life is good with it's wonderful pleasures! :goodpost:
Enjoy as many pleasures as you can! I hear it helps the healing process! :ok:
 
Morning Rita !
Its 5.30am here and have been awake since 5.00 but a complete sleep through from 11pm. I am getting so used to sleeping down here on the sofa I am bit concerned I may never go back upstairs !
Slept really well till the pain kicked in, I have had 2 paracetamols and am now drinking a cup of tea. I have rubbed my hip in with Tiger Balm and at 6 I can take a tramadol.
So sorry for your yet-again-bad-night, things can only get better. I am taking 2 x 50mg slow release tramadol at night (other type during the day) and they seem to be doing the trick, I wonder if you could ask your doctor for the same or something similar ? Its so hard to cope without sleep.
Wishing you a peaceful day and love to everyone else.
Viv xx
 
Buongiorno Coniglietta. Definitely something spooky going on with us two - I too slept well from 23.00 - 05.00 & then got up for walkabout/coffee/toast (one disadvantage of early rising is that it is now 11.00h & I have had 3 breakfasts!) I could post you a box of Tramadol, I got a repeat prescription after one week & then all of a sudden I couldn't take it, makes me DIZZY +++ (common side effect apparently) I am using Paracetamol + Naproxen bd & am mostly OK if the sciatica behaves. Tiger Balm is a good idea, did it help?
Feeling a bit 'I really could do with a couple of hours off all this knee business' earlier & then started to think of all the kindesses I've been shown this last 2 weeks. Flowers x 4 (bunches that is not individual stems!). Beautiful Orchids x 2. Potted Cala Lily. Lovely Body Cream. Tea bread. Homemade Ginger Cookies. Fruit Loaf. Corned Beef Hash for the freezer. Boxed DVD set of Mad Men (am hooked) and a lovely view from my back bedroom window when I'm on my exercise bike (- we have a pretty river running at the bottom of our garden.) The care & prayers of all my friends/family & the telephone calls & cards are lovely too. Does me good to Count my Blessings. :yes:
 
Warm water from a hand held shower helps comfort my knee as well as work on the stiffness. Also, massage is one of my favorite tools when my knee starts aching and I cannot use pain pills at that time.
 
Rita! You are doing really well for so early on. Be proud of yourself
 
Thanks for the info 1Elisea, I was wondering if heat would help, got so used to the Ice, Elevate, Rest and Drugs routine I was a little apprehensive to use heat as a form of comfort but I have a wheat "pillow" thing that goes in the microwave, was wondering if that would help with the stiffness at all.....
Yes Rita we have been here in a former life I think lol, the Tiger Balm really did help, I use the Red one the strongest and it burns like billy-o but kind of numbs the pain out. So sorry to hear about your tramadol reaction, some people cant take it I know but although I am walking around in a kind of haze most of the time I will suffer that to get a few extra hours sleep at night. It seems that co-dydramol is of the same family but not so strong, perhaps this could help you, I took this for my arthritis and it knocked me out at night. I wish I could send sleep your way, its the very worst feeling when you are frustrated, tired and in pain. :console2:
Am going out to lunch tomorrow at my friends, my son will drive as my husband is away this weekend. I have been out today to get birthday cards and presents for her husband and engagement cards for their daughter and sitting in my sons car I got the old "tourniquet" tightness and its so uncomfortable. I am going to try a cushion under my right thigh and see if it softens things a little for the half hour journey there.
Everyone in the family is being so supportive and kind Rita, I know how you feel. Sometimes its overwhelming I never realised so many people cared :). Yet its amazing how the washing up is still being left in the sink lol old habits die hard I guess.
Wishing everyone a peaceful day and lots of zzzz's tonight.
Viv xx
 
I used a wheat pillow. My husband laughed at me going up to bed with hot pillow and an ice pack!
 
Oh wow speccybecky thats brilliant, I will definitely use mine, did you use in on your knee though ? I suppose its ok .....
Viv xx
 
Coniglietta, probably better not to use heat directly on the knee as long as it is still generating heat from healing itself. But you could use it just above or just below the knee. Once the knee no long feels hot or warmer than the rest of your leg, you can use heat---moist heat being the best.
 
Also, check with your doctor before rubbing anything near the wound. My PT suggested I use an antibacterial creme on a spot that was slightly redder than the other spots and cover it. Called my OS office, and after a few questions, like is is oozing, they said not to as they want it to stay clean and dry.
 
Coniglietta, probably better not to use heat directly on the knee as long as it is still generating heat from healing itself.

I was amazed the first couple of weeks how hot my knee was and that it was evident without even touching it. Holding my hand above the wound, the heat could be felt coming off of it. It was quite the parlor trick for awhile. :heehee:
 
Thanks so much for all your comments, yes there is a lot of heat coming off my knee already so it does make sense to cool it rather than heat it. I am so overwhelmed that you all answered this and am so grateful you are all there.:) I feel really looked after lol. Will certainly take your comments on board.
Just want to share something, for years my knees have been bent forward, not able to lock in so standing was a real problem. I was making a sandwich for myself in the kitchen just now and suddenly my knee actually straightened itself and locked in! I could not believe it and it felt so odd and strange that I had to sit down lol. For the first time in around 6 years or so my leg was straight. I am so chuffed:happydance:.
For years I have worn maxi dresses and skirts because of being self concious of my legs, I have promised myself to chuck them all away and buy a whole new wardrobe of knee length dresses and skirts, I am going to show my knees off in public - yes scars and all I just dont care - feel like a real breakthrough has happened today xxx
Yum, yum, dont care if I dont sleep tonight now as I am on a high.....
Love to all
Viv xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom