TKR Rita's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, some funny stuff is happening with me at the moment. Just below my 'knee' (sort of top of shin) I keep getting a mighty itch. I reach to scratch it & it's numb! How can I feel an itch but not a scratch????
Also having a line of 'soreness' around the numb area, as it comes back to life it is really sensitive to touch, feels quite burny & sore.
My mistake in thinking that pain just got better each day, the last 2 days have been more painful for me, I guess all the inside gubbins heals at different rates, bit disappointing though - I just want each day to be better & more pain free than the last. Patience I hear you say! There now you needn't say it!!!
Discharged from Physio yesterday. Flexion now 120 (but remember the number doesn't matter!) Discouraged from wobble board use, she suggested just balance exercises on a thick Pilates/Yoga mat. Had a go & it was surprisingly difficult. Permission given to go in swimming pool, so just waiting fro some sun (yawn - you grow old waiting for sun in UK!)
Fortunately we have Wimbledon, Tour de France & the Olympics to distract us (did I mention the OLYMPICS?) + boxed set of Mad Men which I am loving (can identify with the fashions & hairstyles).
Hang on in there everyone - we are DOING GREAT (- not a time for modesty) :yay:
 
Itch and soreness is probably nerves wakening up and thinking 'WHAT WAS THAT!. I was encouraged to gently rub my hard over scar to try and desensitise it.
 
Oh I know exactly what you mean with the itchiness, its driving me crazy. The outside of my knee is completely numb, on the inside next to my scar is like a kind of sunburn soreness, so tender that even my skirt can cause me to jump involuntarily because it touched the skin there. I have a mad itch just below my scar and slightly to the right and of course its numb, I cant do anything about it as far as scratching is concerned but I do put my cryo cuff on it in the hope that the coldness will just do "something" to the itchy sensation:shrug:. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and its then that I remind myself that I am healing :yay:.
I am massaging at least twice a day, in the morning I use arnica gel, its gently warming and eases my knee into some semblance of balance and my husband uses olive oil (what else being Italian lol) in the evening for me, he is much better at massaging and it feels great after.
What an amazing ROM you have there Rita !! fair play to you, I am afraid I am not going to be in your league for a very long time, my physio was pleased with me yesterday with my progress but I do realise I have a lot of work to do before my ROM is anywhere near your number. Mind you it was so bad before my op anyway with the arthritis so miracles will take a little longer for me.
Love to all,
Viv xx
 
Viv, your church story is a hoot, literally! Lol! Thanks for sharing!

Rita, all your travel talk reminds me how nice it was living in Europe. In the time we could drive to Switzerland or France, here in Michigan, it only gets us to Ohio! No offense to Ohio, if you like flat farmland, but not a real destination for a holiday! But then again we can stay in Michigan for seemingly endless natural beauty and coastlines in the New World! Enjoy your summer!
 
Rita, that itch thingy is crazy, you made me laugh so loud when you stated "how can you feel an itch, but not a scratch" good point kiddo! I don't the answer to that one, but I'd certainly would like to know the answer! I also got the super itch thing and I had to stop myself from scratching. I do notice that my skin is super dry and flaky like a snake shedding it's skin. The swelling on my legs has come down a lot so maybe it is because I'm growing new skin. :scratch: The PT girl rubbed my lower leg today to, as she says, bring the swelling down and I noticed how tender my lower leg was, below the scar, down the shin and on the muscle side of the leg. It's always something!

I wish you great sunshine in your near future! You deserve it! :friends:
 
Jacky, that's where my skin is as well. Daniel pointed it out today and wanted to know what it was.
 
I had the itching and numbness, too---it was silly at times and also drove me crazy, too. I would also have to agree with the others---your knee is healing and the nerves are beginning to reconnect and (my apologies to The Beatles) "come together." I remember it taking a few months--maybe 6-8---for my knee to regain feeling and lose the numb feeling.
 
Its good to know that the numbness will eventually go but I had a c-section 15 years ago and was numb too around the scar. To this day I am still numb in places but you do learn to live with this.
I am wondering if anyone knows whether it would be alright to take Arnica tablets to help with internal injuries. I do massage with Arnica gel in the mornings but remember taking the tablets to help stop the bruising after I had botox :whistle:- and it worked. I am also a great vitamin/mineral taker and was wondering if anyone knew whether I could start taking Vit C and E again.
Thanks in advance, I am on no painkillers just Naproxen, Omeprazole and 2 Co-dydramols at night for sleep.
Ciao Viv xx
 
Viv, your church story is a hoot, literally! Lol! Thanks for sharing!

Rita, all your travel talk reminds me how nice it was living in Europe. In the time we could drive to Switzerland or France, here in Michigan, it only gets us to Ohio! No offense to Ohio, if you like flat farmland, but not a real destination for a holiday! But then again we can stay in Michigan for seemingly endless natural beauty and coastlines in the New World! Enjoy your summer!
We are very fortunate Janet - the worst bit is that the Channel is a VERY expensive stretch of water to cross. One company operating out of Dover are doing very good deals & so we are using them, the joy of retirement is that it doesn't matter if it all takes a few days longer - no rush :whistle:
 
day off what knee ? bending or having good time watching tour or shopping.I want a day off making dinner (dont tell wife) and exercising in other words normal life. Might make another pealla tommorow but run out of wine,but on good side just had a little walk and talking to neighbours little girl while going in circles interesting conversation,she is only 7 about dare i say bogis and eating kids are great cheered me up.
 
Feeling sorry for myself on Wednesday, in pain - however have now cheered up :).
Have done first grocery shopping this week, which was OK. Am now finding that walking with a crutch is now not very comforable but feel the need to do it when I'm out & about for other folks benefit. Perhaps we should have 'RECENT KNEE REPLACEMENT - KEEP CLEAR' badges made!
The weather here has been 'volatile' this last week. Thursday was forecast to be the best day so ventured into town on public transport! Am going to a very posh charity concert on Sunday evening & needed to buy some support tights to replace the (navy blue!) TEDs for the evening. Journey there was fine - coming back all the 'disabled' seats were taken (by able bodied folk!) & I stood with my crutch for about 10 mins before saying to a young woman "I really need to sit down" - "NO PROBLEM" she replied. I felt like shouting "if it's no problem why didn't you get up sooner you ......." (fill in the gaps!)
Anyway it was all OK & I was pleased with my foray back into normal life.
Yesterday it rained so hard/persistently that the little river at the bottom of our garden became a swirling torrent, washing logs & debris along but fortunatley not threatening our house. Many flood warnings were isuued & I have just heard on Radio Sheffield that there is travel disruption in Edlington (where RICBAK lives).
I have now had acupuncture x 3 for my lower back/sciatic pain & it is much better.
Overall things are good, despite the fact that my new knee feels like a cricket ball held in place with a million rubber bands!
Am going to start a new thread about the Itch You Can't Scratch, after all your comments/experience of the same.
Have a good weekend everyone & good luck to all newbies who get their knees next week :friends:
 
hi not tried bus yet i am alright with cane they took crutches off me last week but went to shops with wife and forgot cane,i drove car out of garage and left stick in garage.I was alright when pushing trolley but had enough when got back.Very happy we live near top of hill it was 2 foot deep through village .I sometimes wonder if i have been given a rusty knee does not feel like new knee some days, any idea how i can pump some oil round joint might be able to bend more.Wish i could change name from RICBAK to richard oh just started that wet stuff again any one got a rubber ring its very bad again
 
hi not tried bus yet i am alright with cane they took crutches off me last week but went to shops with wife and forgot cane,i drove car out of garage and left stick in garage.I was alright when pushing trolley but had enough when got back.Very happy we live near top of hill it was 2 foot deep through village .I sometimes wonder if i have been given a rusty knee does not feel like new knee some days, any idea how i can pump some oil round joint might be able to bend more.Wish i could change name from RICBAK to richard oh just started that wet stuff again any one got a rubber ring its very bad again
Haha -:iagree: my hubby had same thought - 'why didn't they leave a lubrication port, I could squirt some WD40 in for you!' Now resolved to call you Richard at all times. Wife home? You off dinner duty now? Might invite myself round for that paella though.
 
Hi yes wifes home i make snacks now very good sandwitch maker,but going out for dinner sunday and walk if fine,we are not far from sheffield bit of oil could hop here.Definatley going to spain september before leg siezes up with all rain.Nice night for once going to sit in porch glass of wine flexing knee and look over village .
 
Andy Murray is a Wimbledon finalist, Bradley Wiggins is wearing the Yellow Jersey - we are INVINCIBLE!!!!!! :yahoo:
('til the Olympics ......)
 
Rita and Richard, I hope the rain really lets up for you there in the U.K.! The Olympics are at your door step and the sunshine is much friendlier! Do you hear a projected forecast for the Olympics?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom