Guest viewing is limited

TKR Rita's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rita our vans would fit inside debbies motorhome, in florida last year never saw what we would call caravan but all we need is water tap and elsan, solar panel does rest,had my x ray today said things look fine but see surgeon next week to get signed of.We cant wait i am not best passenger and will be able to finally get van out.Swimming today managed 30 leangths in 35 minutes went round lakeside sunday then 10 mile bike ride and knee fine ,before once round lakside was enough it is nearly 2 mile round.Wife on day out dancing tommorow in lincoln so bike out going for 25 mile might not tell wife till she comes home.One month now to spain cant wait then when come back going down south in van.
 
Ten weeks gone already - time for a proper update. I really thought time would drag in these first weeks but I have been pleasantly surprised. I have been fortunate to be 'normalish' with no real complications. My biggest challenges have been sciatic pain which took 8 weeks to settle down & made me feel very sorry for myself some days and leg length discrepency. After a long chat with my physio last week she explained that I had been using a slightly bent leg for years (painful to straighten it out) without realising. Of course the surgery immediately straightens it & makes it feel yards (well 1 cm!) longer than the other one. She told me to put all my mental energy into perceiving my non-operated leg as my 'strong straight' leg & to try & move the focus away from my TKR. It's 'brain training' & I'm glad to say it works. Am feeling much less wonky now.
Am taking just paracetamol 2-3 times a day and am not in too much pain now. Shin is still quite numb & am getting tingling still, which I welcome - nerves coming back to life.I massage my knee twice a day & still ice when resting. Swelling is coming down a bit now. I can't tell by looking at it but I can tell by how certain trousers feel! Wound is healing amazingly - may post on 'Badges of Honour'.
For the first time this week I felt like going shopping for clothes, couldn't be bothered with the trying on before now. Hit the jackpot as the sales are on & got some good bargains - more normality! Next week we are looking after our 2 grandaughters age 8 & 5 - who will be under strict orders to behave nicely!!!! (definitley NOT normal for 8's & 5's)
I celebrate a 'significant' birthday next week - I think Bonesmart already knew as they awarded me 'SENIOR' status this week, not sure how I feel about that.
In just over a week we will be packing our caravan for another trip to France. Have got sites chosen, just need some sun. Really looking forward to getting in a swimming pool.
Am so glad I discovered Bonesmart, it is so encouraging to share the journey & to be able to offer encouragement from the 'other side'. Wish they had an online shop. I want a "I am a BONESMARTIE" sweatshirt! Actually ... might get one printed. Could be a conversation starter!
Love to you all & keep up the good work :thumb:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Rita's recovery
Great update, Rita! You're a great BoneSmartie--we're glad you're one of us. We made you a Senior because you have 250 posts or more---not because you're

Glad the siatica is under control---it's the pits---and really happy that the LLD is probably only a perception thing. Your shopping trip sounds like fun---but I've become addicted to online shopping. The trip to France--now don't you want to send me airfare to the UK so I can join you? Ask a silly question!:rotfl:

Have a great day!!!
 
Rita, Great report!:goodpost: It looks like you're progressing in your recovery! Brain training is a biggie, I have to keep reminding mine that I don't need to climb stairs with just my right leg anymore I can use both of them now, my right was always my lead even though they were equally bad. The brain certainly is powerful, it operates the whole body like the engine in a car.
Now, shopping is very therapeutic especially when you find bargins, it's very uplifting, almost like you got away with something good!:heehee:
Whoo, watching to granddaughters (8 & 5) now they'll keep you busy, they usually get bored quickly. I sense some board game, grafts, card games and kid shows on the telly in your near future!:) You'll be one tired grandma when they're done with you, BUT you'll have a smile on your face and lots of great memories! Enjoy them!:thumb:
A trip to France will be a great why to really enjoy your recovery. I am truely envious!:cheers: I'll bet you're so looking forward to this trip, good for you!

A BoneSmart online store is a great idea!:thumb: I hope someone is watching and thinking really hard on this possibility! They could sell all kinds of items and maybe even have a BoneSmartie convention and we can all meet sometimes in the future!:friends: By golly Rita I think you hit on something there!:iagree:

Stay well my friend!:friends:
 
great report, reetpeet. I like the idea of a bonesmartie t-shirt.
 
Good for you. Miss mine. Wife is looking after them now. I could not because of hospital appointment,, They were both swimming and paddling in sea yesterday. Enjoy them, take for picnic and in woods building dens.
 
Rita, that's a great post and very encouraging to see what a good recovery you're having. Ten weeks wow, that has gone so quickly.

Enjoy your time with your granddaughters, you'll have a lovely time, I'm sure.

Bon voyage for your trip to France, how lovely for you.

Kathy
xx
 
Great report Rita - you are doing just great :thumb: Enjoy your little visitors - how lovely! Our little one came to visit in May and it was lovely to have him but boy did I sleep well !!!! I am very envious of you heading off to France - I am sure the sun will shine for you :SUNsmile: , have a super time.
 
reetpteet said:
I dreamed I could run!

Wow! How did it feel? I hope someday we really can run, say across a street or after a toddler. Some people are runners and go back to that, so it must be possible! Your subconscious is believing in the possibilities of the future. Cool!
 
It felt normal Janet - which considering I never could run is quite something! I wasn't in a race or anything, just running down the road (to avoid the rain I think).
 
Normal is what we're going for! I used to dream about a friend walking, although he had been in a wheelchair from the age of 2 (polio). Funny how our brains work in dreams.
 
Yep - caravan in the drive, washed & half packed. Will finish off tomorrow. Tues I will not only be driving but .... towing! Yikes!!! Taking laptop so will be able to keep chatting to my new friends x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom