THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

I don’t know if you tried this or not... To help straighten out my gait and stop my knees from hurting I eventually had to abandon some older favorite shoes I had. Every time I wore them there would be problems that lingered. They looked okay but weren’t. I ended up buying a couple new pairs and it really helped. It took a few days for it to make a difference.

One thing to try with your gait @RinTinTin

I think it was @CricketHip that shared it awhile back. When focusing on heal toe waking, as you roll to the ball of each foot push through the ball of your foot as you move forward. I really have to concentrate. My good leg has gotten sloppy or just in bad habit. Hoping with practice this becomes my new habit. I bought new shoes too as @ceezee recommends.

Another habit to develop is imaging a pole, aligning your pelvis, hip, shoulders and lower back. Pull yourself straight up as you walk. My back got C shaped quickly with limping and long term walker use. My abs are very weak. A lot to concentrate on, but might help your knee. Hope you have a great weekend.

This is so true! Thank you @Fit4Family- its so true, it takes concentration,, tons of it. Your brain has to reconnect with your weakened and possibly some of the overdeveloped (wrong ones) muscles to get the real gait back.
I still have to remind myself occasionally, especially when I am tired. I stayed on my cane up through 8 weeks and still used it intermittently when needed for longer.

I wonder if working a bit on your core would help? Like little isometric movements?
I still sit in a chair with good posture and suck in my stomach and hold for 10 seconds and relax, and repeat for 10-15 times to reactivate my core and lower back muscles.
This seems to help me remember the core muscles when walking and keeps me from that crouching type walk that was my way of walking before surgery.

Gosh, when I think about how long you suffered in such pain, of course your body's muscles are confused. Your brain and body adapted to keep you mobile and now it's having trouble letting you return to your normal state of things, but it does return..

in regards to your knee pain, hopefully it's still reeling from your surgeries and affected gait changes, my right knee complained and puffed up on and off for at least 3 full months before it calmed down. Now my left knee hurts me occasionally when ascending stairs! I have that same worry and I quietly freak out.. Then I remember that my body is continuing to make changes and adapting.

What a journey and we are all on it together! :friends: :egypdance:

Saw my OS today for a checkup and new X-Ray.
Everything looks awesome as per him. "Poster case" as he mentioned.
As per him, the knee pain is from gait change and it should go away when all the leg muscles recover and strengthen properly...
I asked a bunch of questions such as:
* how long there is the risk of getting infection and should I take antibiotics every time I visit dentist. He said it's and old school and the new studies show it's not necessary unless someone is diabetic or suffers from some other form of chronic illness.
* I am safe when it comes to weight bearing... I can lift and cary weight without risk. I just need to be modest for the time being.
* I am cleared to swim, golf, bike - pretty much any activity with the exception of contact sports
* I am cleared to go to the gym.
* ready to book massage appointments

We booked the next checkup appointment in 3 months from now.
I am happy
:spin:

Hello and Happy Friday! :wave:
Awesome update! Thank you for sharing. I'm very happy for you because I've not forgotten how great one feels after those OS visits receiving the assurance that all is progressing as it should. It's also wonderful to be released to freely partake in those activities you've been missing out on either due to pain, or recovery. Wonderful news to start the weekend. I hope your day is sweet and your weekend a good one!
@RinTinTin

I am doing well @RinTinTin You're right it's still a long road to full recovery but I'm living pain free for the first time in years so I'm really happy with where I am on this journey.

Good report from your check up today! You've been doing a fantastic job and know you'll continue to take it slow and easy.

Whoa! What a nice update and you've detailed everything so well. Congrats RinTT!!

Just think how good it's going to be when spring arrives and you are out and about again.
You are a good example of slow and steady winning the race.
Maybe you and your wife need a dinner out to celebrate?

Hats off to Lefty on this special day. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a nice weekend and continue to enjoy steady progress. You're healing and working toward a wonderful Summer of 2020. :SUNsmile:
You'll feel like a new man! :yes:
Happy Monday....have a great week! :)
@RinTinTin

Hats off to Lefty on this special day. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a nice weekend and continue to enjoy steady progress. You're healing and working toward a wonderful Summer of 2020. :SUNsmile:
You'll feel like a new man! :yes:
Happy Monday....have a great week! :)
@RinTinTin

Thank you @Layla.
Since I was cleared to go to the gym I am online looking for the gyms in my neighbourhood.
I am certainly not going back to my crossfit gym.
Over the last couple of years I gained weight and surely lost muscles because of the inactivity, so time for me to go back and work on regaining my confidence.
:)

Slow and steady as you build up some strength and confidence.
I really think 4 months out was my biggest turnaround.
The Spring will be Sweet and I know 2020 will be a wonderful year.
Happy 2 month Hipversary, my friend.

time for me to go back and work on regaining my confidence.
Sigh. I can so relate! When I hit 3 months and was well enough to start more activity, I realized this whole THR experience had really shaken my confidence. I felt positively fragile, for the first time in my life. I didn't want to hurt my precious hip. I was SO protective and cautious at first, but I feel so much better (psychologically and physically) now. I'm glad I found a very gentle, understanding, knowledgeable Pilates instructor to start me off on my strengthening program. Hope you are able to use a good personal trainer who understands health recovery Vs 'training' programs. Good luck!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68