THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

Guessing you are still icing this area...
Some swelling near my incision site gave me the impression of a lump, like something was sticking out. I had anterior approach.
It was fine...I was just hypervigilant early days about noticing any differences.
When do you go for a recheck?
I'm guessing you are ready for this hip business to be done with.:bored:

It WILL be worth it, my friend.:tada:
 
There is still little swelling area where the incision is... not sure if that's normal or the implant is sitting wrongly, b

I believe that's a normal part of the healing process and can last for weeks to months. As always, check with your surgeon if you're concerned, but it doesn't seem necessary as you're still in the very early days of recovery considering how long you'll have the implant.

You seem to be doing really well. :yes!: Good news you're reducing pain reliever and not suffering any pain. Your future looks bright! :SUNsmile:
 
I appreciate all the celsius/fahrenheit explainations!
I'm still waiting for the 1975 Metric Conversion Act to kick in here in the US....
In my field we use metric for nearly everything, I wish the US had comitted to it way back when like the rest of the civilized world!
 
The resistance to the metric system in this country is pretty amazing, it's so much easier than ours. Human nature just doesn't like change, even when it makes life easier. :unsure:
 
Four months already for, Righty. Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope your two new hips are learning to play well together. :)
I hope you have a nice weekend as you continue your healing journey.
@RinTinTin

Getting slowly better...
still pushing the walker... sometimes switch to two canes... then only one.
I can even walk without any help but my gait is terrible... I walk like like a drunken duck!
I'll wait till the 14th when I see my PT and ask to work on my gait.
You to have a nice weekend!
:)
 
Last edited:
My husband says that when I first start walking after sitting I waddle and sometimes when tired. He is always reminding me (which is a good thing) so that I can concentrate again and walk properly even if I have to slow down. Waddling on and off for years with the bad hips really makes you forget how to walk properly automatically.
 
After 20 years of a bad knee I was just beginning to learn correctly when the hip went. Many of us suffered for a long time before replacement and that altered gait becomes your muscle memory. If you get tired or are in a hurry it's easy to fall back into the gait we've had for years.
 
You will be able to correct your gait. Takes some work and being mindful when walking all the time till the brain and muscles relearn. My last hip took much longer for me to get over the waddle. I am walking better with this one though still fall into the wrong gait. Keep practicing that heel/toe walk. I actually walked around the house saying out loud heel toe heel toe.
 
Hello :wave: I just caught up with your thread and you sound so much better.. that is wonderful!
Your patience is paying off and will pay off more in the coming months. Your limp will leave you and hopefully that little lump of swelling will, too.
I still notice a bit of swelling and I am over 6 months post op now.
Loved reading about your 4 K walk. Especially loved that you didn't try to repeat it again the very next day. :heehee:
You are getting there. Congrats!
 
The weather was pretty mild here yesterday so went for a longer walk in the morning and a bit shorter in the evening... for a total of 8.66 km.
I feel fine today... but will take it easy just in case.
Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.
 
Getting slowly better...
still pushing the walker... sometimes switch to two canes... then only one.
I can even walk without any help but my gait is terrible... I walk like like a drunken duck!
I'll wait till the 14th when I see my PT and ask to work on my gait.

@RinTinTin - I can't remember the Aesop fable, but the moral was "slow and steady wins the race." I'm finding I use my walker for stability, not so much for support like I did with the first hip replacement. I've used my cane, but my PT suggested I use hiking poles. My friend took me to my RV and they're here with me at home.

My gait is off too, and I worry if the OS "got it right" with the Mako robot and adjusted my leg length so I don't have a permanent limp. It "is" better.

Thinking of you my "double hippy" friend... :)
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom