• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
I took it easy yesterday...partly because I walked a lot the day before.... partly it was pouring rain the entire day.
I have not suffered aches nor pain... just a bit of stiffness.
Happy Sunday too!
:)

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:dancy:Great to hear....we've had thunderstorms all through the night.:umm:Also supposed to continue today so I, too, will be stuck inside.:groan:

Getting better all the time...I'm hearing the Beatles.:yes:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and Happy Sunday to you!
You're doing great. I don't worry about you as it seems you've always taken the slow, steady, sensible approach. Keep up the good work and have a wonderful week!
@RinTinTin

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
Hello and Happy Sunday to you!
You're doing great. I don't worry about you as it seems you've always taken the slow, steady, sensible approach. Keep up the good work and have a wonderful week!
@RinTinTin
Thank you... I do have the slow and steady approach but still... I worry because of the same reason I won't be able to get my gait back.
:(

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
The gait takes time for most of us and you really need to concentrate on the heel to toe walking. I think someone called it mindful walking as normally we really don't pay attention to how we walk. :walking:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
The drunken duck gait will soon become a strong and steady gait... it just takes time and when you get a little further in your healing, some good physical therapy will help, for sure.
You are doing fine.. now I will agree with Mojo333.. please sit down! :rotfl:

Seriously, I can just imagine how great it feels to get outside and walk, or get out and do any other thing! So glad for you.. just be careful. I know you will be.

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
The gait takes time for most of us and you really need to concentrate on the heel to toe walking. I think someone called it mindful walking as normally we really don't pay attention to how we walk. :walking:
I do focus on the heel to toe walking when I am pushing the walker. It's easy as the walker serves as a huge balance support.
It gets harder to ficus on the same technique when using a cane(s) and even harder when I try to walk without help.
I know it will come back one day I am just concern it won't be the same.

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
Seriously, I can just imagine how great it feels to get outside and walk, or get out and do any other thing! So glad for you.. just be careful. I know you will be.
I have not repeated the same walk since then.
and... not sure if I mentioned... I walked a bigger loop in the morning and a shorter in the evening... for the total of 8.6 km.
I am not and don't want to be superman at this point and push myself too hard. It just felt good that day and I debated before the second walk.
The weather was inviting

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
19 weeks after right THR and 6 weeks after left THT...
I think I am doing fine.
Saw my PT today... she was again pretty impressed with my flexibility. Said my ROM is excellent considering I am only 6 weeks post surgery.
The limping is from muscle weakness and lost muscle mass... which is normal and expected.
She said I am heading into right direction and "prescribed me" some advanced exercises for both hips.
I was happy to hear all that.

FCBayern

senior
Country
Congrats @RinTinTin on a good report. Muscle loss I think is an issue for most of us because movement was so limited before THR. I walked up and down a full flight of stairs in a parking garage yesterday without issue but my quads are sore today! :rotfl:Talk about muscle loss.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good news about your ROM and flexibility. That's another step towards your complete recovery!
I keep saying this about time moving so quickly, but how in the heck are you already 6 weeks post op?
I bet it didn't fly past as quickly for you :heehee:
Just imagine where you'll be in another 6 weeks?

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Wonderful news @RinTinTin I am so happy for you. ROM is key. The muscles will come back quickly. I wish the walker worked for me with gait. I agree that the cane is tricky for keeping proper heal toe walking, also posture. I’ve come up with a two device thing right now that’s working for me. I use the cane in my right hand, left THR, and use a treking pole in my left hand to keep me upright. Looks kinda crazy, but hey it works.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good Morning @RinTinTin
Great news on your flexibility and range of motion. Thanks for sharing the update with us.
You're doing so well. Just imagine how great you'll be feeling this Summer.
It's gonna be awesome :yes!:
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
Wonderful news @RinTinTin I am so happy for you. ROM is key. The muscles will come back quickly. I wish the walker worked for me with gait. I agree that the cane is tricky for keeping proper heal toe walking, also posture. I’ve come up with a two device thing right now that’s working for me. I use the cane in my right hand, left THR, and use a treking pole in my left hand to keep me upright. Looks kinda crazy, but hey it works.
I demonstrated my walk with one cane. I did surprisingly good and I mentioned to her it's likely because I tried to impress her. She smiled and said this is the key and advised to practice walking with the cane or even without it as I was trying to impress someone. :)
I asked it the trekking poles would be better but her opinion is that the goal is to get me walking without any help as soon as possible and trekking poles are very addictive.
So I decided not to get them (for the moment) :)

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@RinTinTin such a good report! ROM and flexibility are good, that's awesome! It just takes some time for the muscle to build back up but as you noted, considering what they do to us it's amazing how quickly we actually bounce back. I know it may not seem like it now. Great job on your awesome recovery! :egypdance:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @RinTinTin
I think you sound very well for all the recovery you have endured for the past five months.
Energy drain was still hitting me pretty hard and my stamina definitely took some time to get built back up.
Hope you have a Good Day...:SUNsmile:

OP
OP
RinTinTin

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
Hi @RinTinTin
I think you sound very well for all the recovery you have endured for the past five months.
Energy drain was still hitting me pretty hard and my stamina definitely took some time to get built back up.
Hope you have a Good Day...:SUNsmile:
I think I am doing pretty good... I am still limping though and can't find my gait. I walk with one cane only. Sometimes the walk is good, some other times I got upset. My right knee hurts and I am not sure if it's because of the inappropriate walk or God forbid OA that spread!

Hope you have a good weekend ahead! :spin:

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lindyloos
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom