THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

I know sleep can be elusive and consequently frustrating for some so catch a few winks whenever you're able. Make sure to balance rest / sleep with movement and using the Activity Progression For THR will help you do that safely without getting carried away.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Many who have leg cramps or spasms use Magnesium and find it helpful. Another great benefit of supplementing with Magnesium is it can aid in falling asleep and staying asleep. You may want to look into it and consider it -

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Magnesium Glycinate has a calming effect on your brain due to the glycine and is also preferred over other Magnesium supplements as the body finds it easier to absorb in this form. Unlike other forms of Magnesium it may not cause as many side effects such as upset stomach or loose stools. Research it and see what you think.

Have a great Thursday!
 
Many who have leg cramps or spasms use Magnesium and find it helpful. Another great benefit of supplementing with Magnesium is it can aid in falling asleep and staying asleep. You may want to look into it and consider it -
Magnesium Glycinate has a calming effect on your brain due to the glycine and is also preferred over other Magnesium supplements as the body finds it easier to absorb in this form. Unlike other forms of Magnesium it may not cause as many side effects such as upset stomach or loose stools. Research it and see what you think.

Thanks @Layla. I've been taking Magnesium Citrate almost religiously for a year or so. I'll have to read about and get the Magnesium Glycinate instead.

I got the staples removed today. I saw my OS as well who is extremely happy with my progress. We reviewed pre-op and post-op X-Rays of my right hip and everything looks great. Encouraged me to do whatever I am doing including the PT exercises and I'll need to see him again in 6 weeks.
The date for my Left THR has been confirmed - Dec 3.
I even asked him to keep me in mind if there is a cancelation prior to that date... :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @RinTinTin (and fellow Canadian- I am in Vancouver, where are you?)- you are a few days behind me (RTH Sept. 6) and although I start out each night in bed on my back, and have tried the (somewhat nerve-racking) "logrolling" on to my non operative side with a big long pillow between my legs, the most it has ever worked for is an hour- I am still coming downstairs to sleep in my recliner every nights between 3-5 a.m. I am now researching Magnesium (thanks to the great advise here- thanks yet again @Layla) and will be sending my husband to pick some up for tonight. The muscle spasms and cramps are a killer! And a nightly reminder that correcting the past few years of aberrant muscle mechanics and tendon positioning is going to be a huge part of my rehab!
I love the sound of rain too (at night when I wouldn't want to be out there anyhow)- we are moving into our rainy season here on the "wet coast" so maybe nature's lullaby will work in concert with the Magnesium! Fingers crossed!
You sound like you have a fantastic (albeit tired) attitude and energy!
Wishing you a better nights sleep - or at least some entertaining channel surfing!
 
Hi there @FayeL...
Looks like so many of us have the same issues with sleep. No matter what I try I still cannot sleep more than 1 to 1.5 hour... I then need to get up, walk a bit, stretch the legs, distract myself and try to get back to the recliner for another 1 - 1.5 hour of nap.
I still function somehow.
I am in Mississauga, Ontario.
I wish Magnesium helps with your cramps :cheers:
 
Also make sure you’re taking the right dosage which for men over 30 is 420 mg per day. it makes a difference.
Thanks for the tip @ceezee :)...
I was taking 150 mg in the morning and another 150 mg in the evening. I guess i will add another pill in the evening. That will be total of 450 mg per day. Is that safe?
 
I don’t really know but I wouldn’t go over.

For women the maximum dose is 320. I had 200mg pills and I’d cut one in half and use that. (That’s what I ended up doing and only got to 300 mg.) It would get you closer. Or you could look for 100 mg tablets and get to 400. I also saw 400mg at the pharmacy.

The 300 worked for me.
 
Good morning @RinTinTin :wave:How's your week going? Is it really possible for you to be at 3 weeks in your recovery? I'm curious about how you are managing your walks with one new hip and one 'going bad quickly' hip?

Hopefully by now your sleep pattern is improving. It took me weeks to sleep when I was supposed to sleep. My best sleep was around 4 am to 8 am. :bored:

Take care and enjoy your week.
 
Thanks @CricketHip!
Hard to believe it's been 3 weeks since the surgery. I've been reading other members recovery threads. Many felt great for the first few weeks but ran into troubles later because of increased activities and overdoing. I am so cautious. I still believe I am doing just fine. I am too chicken to do anything in extreme so I keep my daily activities just walking around the house, doing recommended PT exercises and going outside for a "longer"walk in the neighbourhood. I reached 4.810 steps at the end of the day yesterday. Not sure if that's a lot... or too little but I feel it's right at the moment considering my other hip is lacking the power to perform physically demanding tasks... it's weaker and weaker and I wonder how am I going to endure the next two months before the surgery.
Last night it was painful to the point I decided at 3 am to take the long forgotten hydromorphone.
Sleep has improved. I spent 4 nights in a row in my own bed and slept pretty decently with the exception of last night.
Overall, I keep positive as much as I can.
hugs!
 
Good Morning to you! :SUNsmile:
Thanks for the update. It seems you're doing well, taking a cautious approach and avoiding the dreaded ODIC. My heart goes out to you and so many others who's recoveries are overshadowed by their opposite deteriorating hip. It has to be maddening at times wishing you could simply be pain free for weeks in a row. Hopefully the next two months move quickly for you. While you're struggling due to the pain from Lefty, it's good you have this time for your Right hip to heal and become stronger.
Hang in there, you'll get there and it's going to be so worth it!:yes!:
Wishing you comfort as you continue the journey. :walking:
@RinTinTin
 
Wow @RinTinTin ! Lots of steps! Well done, but maybe you're feeling it just a little today? I'm just now at 4 months regularly clocking up 5000 to 6000 steps (without aids) but I do feel it by the evening. I'm impressed you can manage it with the second hip complaining. Keep up the good work! Number two will be here before you know it. :cheers:
 
Thanks for your encouraging words @Layla . I know Dec 3 will come soon enough... and I am looking forward to the new Lefty as well. So far, I am pleased with the Right one recovery :)

HI @Calgal... and I was thinking I am too cautious and not walking enough!
Mind you... I am still using the two wheeled walker inside the house and four wheeled walker outside of the house. It's only inside that I sometimes get the courage to walk a little with the cane or even without it... but I feel funny... I walk like a drunken duck :happydance:... I guess this is because my left one hurts when bearing weight on it.
Cheers!
 
Hi @RinTinTin
How have you been? I hope you're doing well, noticing progress and
feeling stronger week by week. Wishing you comfort with Lefty as you're trying to enjoy healing Righty.
A happy Friday to you! :)
 
Hi @Layla :wave:
I think I am still okay... doing my daily exercises and walks around the neighbourhood.
I kind of feel ready to let the walker go and switch to the cane but in all honesty not sure in which hand I should hold the cane. I assume it's the left hand to support my right operated him but with the left on acting up - it's a bit weird. :hairpulling:
 
Good Evening!
It's great to hear you're doing okay. You're right, you would hold the cane with your left hand since you experienced a Right THR. Try it out for short practice runs. I overdid it the day I switched and paid for it the next day. A little ice and rest and I was okay, but in hindsight it probably would have been better to adjust to it over a couple days. Good Luck....let us know how it goes.
@RinTinTin
 
@RinTinTin I hated the walker and switched to using 2 canes for a while. It made navigating doorways, etc. much easier.
Maybe 2 canes would be helpful for you until you see how the un-operated hip does?

Well, it's just a thought. :old:
Sorry to read your post about the other hip keeping you from sleeping and needing pain meds.
December 3rd probably feels far away, doesn't it? Just think though, by Christmas you should be feeling pretty good and just think how you will be gliding along by next spring!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom