THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

You sound like you are having the perfect recovery, and no you’re not chicken.
I’m so pleased for you, and soon the staples will be gone, too.
With the walker, you have more of an ability to practice a good gait because your weight can be evenly distributed. As long as you’re not leaning primarily on the walker, and focusing walking with a heel toe gait, then I think it’s a good thing that you’re still on your walker.
You sir, are getting this thing done! :ok:
 
With the walker, you have more of an ability to practice a good gait because your weight can be evenly distributed. As long as you’re not leaning primarily on the walker, and focusing walking with a heel toe gait, then I think it’s a good thing that you’re still on your walker.
You sir, are getting this thing done! :ok:

Thanks for this advice. I still find myself naturally leaning on the walker not only because the operated leg doesn't feel like mine yet, but because the other one is also weak and complaining. I do try to focus on a heel to toe gait and it's getting easier every day.
:cheers:
 
Oh yes, exactly, You are currently in a tough place, trying to recover from-a THR while coddling the other side that is actively degenerating..
At this point you are playing it smart.
Our forum nurse, Josephine who is out on sick leave, would love your approach! :yes:
 
@RinTinTin you're taking things slow and steady which is the way to do this. I was on the walker for longer than I wanted but PT recommended I stay on it, probably to get the gait a little better and make sure I was nice and steady. I know I was just sitting here one day and glanced at my cane and thought, hmm, can I walk with that so I tried and did it. But because of PTs recommendation I continued to use the walker most of the time until she said to let it go.
 
day 15...
Sleeping on your back in the recliner all this time is not fun :tantrum:
Tried to move to my bed for the very first time last night.
Having the freedom to sleep on my non operated side felt a bit weird though and not as comfortable as I expected so I quickly decided to get back to the main floor and spread on my recliner again. Can't call that sleeping but rather napping for an hour or so at the time.
I hope everything will come back spontaneously one day/night :angel:
 
Am I a bit too cautious?

You're better off practicing caution than being sidelined in the ODIC

day 15...Sleeping on your back in the recliner all this time is not fun :tantrum:

I did it for three weeks so you're ahead of me in your attempt to try out your bed :heehee:

Wishing you a great Wednesday and a good appointment with the OS on Friday. Let us know how it goes. :)
 
I'm not sure you read this handy article on how to ease into sleeping on your side? I'll leave it here for you, its very helpful and shows that you don't need to be fully on one side to feel like you are!

"To answer this question - it depends upon any restrictions such as don't bend past 90 degrees which will make a difference to this

1. if you have restrictions, then you cannot/should not try sleeping on your side until these have expired. Maybe 6, 8 or even 12 weeks - it depends upon the surgeon.


2. if you don't have restrictions, you can attempt it at about 4 weeks.

However, there are problems with this.

1. when a person lays on their back, their legs tend to roll inwards (internal rotation) which increases the risk of dislocation - like this
[Bonesmart.org] RinTinTin Recovery Thread



2. getting onto and off your back, increases that risk even further, hence the urge to be cautious about this.

A secondary "however"!
You can pre-empt this by getting a long pillow and placing it down your back, operated side up, thereby rolling ever so slightly onto the non-operated side. But do have another ordinary pillow - not too fat - between your legs to stop the upper leg rolling inwards - similar to this

[Bonesmart.org] RinTinTin Recovery Thread


However, this is only going to be for a few weeks, 6 at most, so please think twice before you start spending silly money on these special pillows. Much the same can be achieved by ordinary pillows and/or rolled up blankets or duvets."


You sound like you are progressing along steadily.. I'm so happy for you!
 
I did it for three weeks so you're ahead of me in your attempt to try out your bed :heehee:
Wishing you a great Wednesday and a good appointment with the OS on Friday. Let us know how it goes. :)

Hey @Layla
My attempt was for less than one hour. I felt uncomfortable, even with a huge pillow in between my legs and decided to get back to my recliner... I'll probably use it for another week or so, unless my OS encourages me to go back to bed :tada:
 
You sound like you are progressing along steadily.. I'm so happy for you!

Hey @CricketHip
I read this article but not sure if I want to search for that huge pillow. I know some people were very pleased to have it.
I am progressing along steadily... I am only not getting enough sleep but since I got nothing else to do but focus on getting better, I take little naps as often as I can.
Thanks for being here for us all the time :SUNsmile:
 
I just used a regular pillow between my legs to side sleep. Post RTHR I was about 4 weeks out before
I started side sleeping on the non-op side. Feels wrong at first and I could not do it for long. Just keep trying.
 
I just used a regular pillow between my legs to side sleep. Post RTHR I was about 4 weeks out before
I started side sleeping on the non-op side. Feels wrong at first and I could not do it for long. Just keep trying.
Yeah... I guess I have to wait a bit longer to try it.
It really didn't feel comfortable last night... or was i just too scared of the unknown :)
 
Took me a lonnnnng time to be comfy sleeping on either side. I think it was the swelling on the op side that just felt like uncomfortable pressure after 10 minutes. Until that all went away, I mean really really away, side sleeping meant tossing and turning. Defeated the purpose. I also had restrictions till 6 weeks and a caution for 6 more. Early days for you. One day you'll turn over and realize hey, I'm on my side and it doesn't hurt. It will come. I ended up actually liking back sleeping (on my bed), often with a flat ish pillow under my knees to take the strain off my pelvis. :sleeep:
 
It's weird, just one night you'll be able to side sleep. Well, at least for a couple hours. I think I was able to do so around 3 weeks, which surprised me. I usually sleep on my back and I do as CalGal and use a king sized pillow under my knees.

I am progressing along steadily... I am only not getting enough sleep but since I got nothing else to do but focus on getting better, I take little naps as often as I can.
Isn't this the absolute truth? That's how I felt about it, too! I'd watch reruns of old t.v. shows and doze in and out. The afternoon naps were so nice. :sleeep:

Hey @CricketHip
I read this article but not sure if I want to search for that huge pillow. I know some people were very pleased to have it.
I am progressing along steadily... I am only not getting enough sleep but since I got nothing else to do but focus on getting better, I take little naps as often as I can.

Thanks for being here for us all the time :SUNsmile:
:curtsey: My pleasure!
 
Isn't this the absolute truth? That's how I felt about it, too! I'd watch reruns of old t.v. shows and doze in and out. The afternoon naps were so nice. :sleeep:
:curtsey: My pleasure!

I find myself browsing channels at 3, 4, 5 am... :)
 
I found myself doing the channel surfing also the first couple weeks. I found putting on an app of gentle music help to some degree to help while I slept in my recliner and also when I was "finally" able to sleep in my lovely bed. I put pillow under
my knees and pillow behind me to help not to turn onto my side till I was comfortable to sleep on my good side in my bed. You're fine, take "your" time.
 
Hi @RinTinTin
Your life, and night life, sounds exactly the same as mine at this stage of recovery.
Prior to surgery, I was so sleep deprived that a good night sleep in MY bed was certainly one of my most hoped for goals.
It just wasn't happening for me either and I also didnt have a "good" side to sleep on.
Flat pillow under my knees helped my back when I did get there.
Hang in there and nap whenever possible.
All Temporary
You are doing just great.
 
I found myself doing the channel surfing also the first couple weeks. I found putting on an app of gentle music help to some degree to help while I slept in my recliner and also when I was "finally" able to sleep in my lovely bed. I put pillow under
my knees and pillow behind me to help not to turn onto my side till I was comfortable to sleep on my good side in my bed. You're fine, take "your" time.

Hi @julesglass,
I love rain, so I found 8 hours of constant rainfall on youtube. It was fine first few nights to be awaken, stare at the ceiling and listen to the soothing sound of the rain but I soon got annoyed by it because of lack of sleep. I now get up, walk 2-3 times to the bathroom to stretch my legs and get back to the recliner. I can't wait to get at least 2 hours of sleep without waking up :wink:
 
Hi @RinTinTin
Your life, and night life, sounds exactly the same as mine at this stage of recovery.
Prior to surgery, I was so sleep deprived that a good night sleep in MY bed was certainly one of my most hoped for goals.
It just wasn't happening for me either and I also didnt have a "good" side to sleep on.
Flat pillow under my knees helped my back when I did get there.
Hang in there and nap whenever possible.
All Temporary
You are doing just great.

Thanks @Mojo333. Sleep is just not happening for me either. I just wonder how long can I run on low batteries as I am constantly tired. We need energy to heal, and I don't have much.
I know it's all temporary :cheers:
 
I just wonder how long can I run on low batteries as I am constantly tired.
Longer than we think:wink:
Very wearying I know.
It IS all temporary and I know you will be happy to see this all in the rearview mirror.
Keep the faith friend. Sending healing "sleepy" vibes your way.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom