THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

@RinTinTin: So glad to hear that everything went smoothly and you're resting at home! Hope your recovery continues to go well!

I am so grateful to all the advices, articles, and wonderful people on this site.
Yes, I am pretty lucky with my recovery so far... I know things may turn around at some point but I also know I can alway count on everyone here for support and suggestions.
One thing I cannot recall is what did the nurse say about the dressing on my incision. If I can remember she said if there is no bleeding or any other fluid, I don't need to touch it until Sep 27th when I have to go back for a checkup with my OS and for the staples to be removed.
Is that right? Should I leave the dressing covered all that time? I see no issue at the moment.
:thankyou:
 
That sounds pretty standard from what other members have reported-but to be safe, can you call your OS office to double check? It's always so surprising how we can have different post op and pre op guidelines for the same type of joint replacement. For instance I didn't have staples and could remove my waterproof bandage on day 7.
Better yet, did you get a packet of papers detailing your post op care? It may be mentioned there?
 
Now that you mentioned it sounds pretty standard from whatever members have reported,I think it's okay and I've heard it right.
I did not receive a packet of papers with instructions... just a note where they mention the incision is clear and I should report on 27th for the first checkup.
I may call the 24/7 hot line number they gave me in case I continue to be concerned.
 
@RinTinTin : Yes, that is pretty standard. With my first surgery on 7/15, my bandage and dressing were removed when my sutures were removed on 7/26. However, I had to have my dressing changed on 9/11 for my 9/9 surgery because my bandage was saturated and my OS didn't want to take any chances. I do plan on the changed dressing to remain on me until my sutures get removed on 9/24.
 
It seems quiet in RinTinTin land.. Which is totally fine, unless you are struggling some. Are you doing ok?
How did the small walks go today?

Thanks @CricketHip..
I'd say, things are still good with me. As promised, I am getting up and walking a bit more every time I do. I've noticed the walks are getting a bit easier, I can slightly bend the leg at the knee now and make even bigger strides. I am still trying not to push myself over the limit. The thigh is still very stiff... pain still under control... no swellings.
Going for my first PT appointment tomorrow. Can't wait to see what is all that about.
hugs
 
Now, that is a good update!! I love reading that you are not pushing yourself. You sound like you are doing really well..
Be careful with your PT, hopefully they are going to give you some great tips on how to manage your gait and tips on using whatever aide you are on, and I'm guessing a walker at this point. Sometimes they check out the layout of your home for any issues that might arise.
You aren't ready for any dramatic exercises. But I know you are aware of this.. :thumb:
 
Be careful with your PT, hopefully they are going to give you some great tips on how to manage your gait and tips on using whatever aide you are on, and I'm guessing a walker at this point. Sometimes they check out the layout of your home for any issues that might arise.
You aren't ready for any dramatic exercises. But I know you are aware of this.. :thumb:

Thanks to this wonderful site and numerous advices no PT will lure me into something I am not ready to do. I will certainly try to perform the exercise but won't push myself beyond the comfort zone.
Yes, I am currently using the recommended 2 wheels walker and am looking forward to get some good tips on how to efficiently use it to improve my gait.
Your suggestions are always wonderful @CricketHip - thank you! :cheers:
 
:wave:
Glad to know you are going to be mindful with the PT.
That walker won't be around much longer and I'm guessing you probably have already ventured a few solo steps with countertop or sofa back cruising?
Letting all that surgical trauma settle will allow you to work on things without causing additional stress on the soft tissue.
I was right surprised at how good my hips were once the incisions healed more and the muscle soreness abated some. Then, I got some confidence back.
Slow and steady wins this race, for sure.:ok:
 
Last edited:
Day 9 post-op...
Operated leg still stiff... but every day a bit less than previous day.
Went for a first PT meeting on Tuesday. The lady measured my ROM and introduced me to new exercises I have to perform to increase the flexibility. Nothing to strenuous but still tough to do them cause of the stiffness. In addition to regular short walks in the kitchen, living and dinning room... walked outside on Tuesday and yesterday for approximately 500 meters using 4-wheeled walker. Till now slept in the living room on the recliner but feel the urge to finally climb upstairs and test my bed. The PT was not too happy when I said I am sleeping in the recliner. She said we cannot be stretched flat on it and sleeping there for too long is not too good for the hip. She suggested to sleep in my bed. What do you guys think?
:alarm:
 
Hello!! Well, for me, sleeping flat wasn't an option for the first 2.5 weeks and if you are in the bed, you still need to elevate so I am going out on my limb and disagree. I absolutely would lay flat on my bed during the day and test things out, but there is no way I could've slept flat and accomplish a restful sleep.
I also had a great power lift recliner that put m
I have back issues so I sleep with a firm pillow under my knees nightly. But always make sure to stretch my flexors during each day. I have a routine that I do before I begin working. My work is physical.

You sound great! I am so darn happy for you!! I know you were struggling beforehand.. hey! How is your cold/virus? All better?
 
Hello!! Well, for me, sleeping flat wasn't an option for the first 2.5 weeks and if you are in the bed, you still need to elevate so I am going out on my limb and disagree. I absolutely would lay flat on my bed during the day and test things out, but there is no way I could've slept flat and accomplish a restful sleep.
I also had a great power lift recliner that put m
I have back issues so I sleep with a firm pillow under my knees nightly. But always make sure to stretch my flexors during each day. I have a routine that I do before I begin working. My work is physical.

You sound great! I am so darn happy for you!! I know you were struggling beforehand.. hey! How is your cold/virus? All better?

Hey @CricketHip!
I listened to all your wonderful advices and feel pretty good considering what I went through. I have to admit, I'll keep sleeping in my recliner for at least few more nights. I am tempted to go upstairs in my bed but also terrified at the same time... so I guess I'll put that decision on hold for now.
I do have a problem though... I can't do the prescribed exercises the way I would want to as they require support of the other "healthy" leg... which complains with grinding noises whenever I shift my bodyweight on it. I guess it will be a slow progress.
Cold/Virus disappeared.. was it in my head? :heehee:
 
The PT was not too happy when I said I am sleeping in the recliner. She said we cannot be stretched flat on it and sleeping there for too long is not too good for the hip. She suggested to sleep in my bed. What do you guys think?
SLEEP is important and the ONLY sleep I got was in my recliner....for over a month...so :scratch:
I wouldnt worry about exercises that stress good or bad leg right now. Lots of healing still happening. Just Walking is all you need to do, and Not to Excess.
It is going to get easier, my friend.:yes:
 
SLEEP is important and the ONLY sleep I got was in my recliner....for over a month...so :scratch:
I wouldnt worry about exercises that stress good or bad leg right now. Lots of healing still happening. Just Walking is all you need to do, and Not to Excess.
It is going to get easier, my friend.:yes:

yes, I followed all the advices here to take it slow and easy... and I'll continue to do that. I am in no hurry... walking, elevating, icing and feeling every day is slightly better than previous one is a big reward.
Thank you @Mojo333
hugs
 
Cold/Virus disappeared.. was it in my head? :heehee:

hahah! Well, whatever it was, glad it's gone!! It's so good to see you through the first surgery and feeling pretty chipper.. Happy Friday! :flwrysmile:

Re: Recliner, enjoy it and your sleep. You are still in major healing mode. That's your only real job.
 
The PT was not too happy when I said I am sleeping in the recliner. She said we cannot be stretched flat on it and sleeping there for too long is not too good for the hip. She suggested to sleep in my bed. What do you guys think?

For what it's worth, I slept in a recliner for the first three weeks. I slept comfortably for 3-4 hrs when I'd wake use the bathroom and go right back to sleep for another 3-4 hrs. I didn't suffer any ill effects nor do I feel I was doing myself any harm. It sounds like you're doing well. Keep it up and have a nice Saturday!
@RinTinTin
 
Happy Two Week Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well. Leave us an update next time you're on the forum. We'd love to read about your progress. Have a great week!
@RinTinTin
 
Happy Two Week Anniversary!
I hope you continue to do well. Leave us an update next time you're on the forum. We'd love to read about your progress. Have a great week!
@RinTinTin

Thanks @Layla.
Yes, hard to believe it's been two weeks already!
I believe I am doing good... maybe on the slow, safe side... but I am happy to say I did not have major pain, swelling, bruising nor other problems so far.
Am I a bit too cautious?
I mean, I perform the exercises suggested by PT, I walk inside and outside the house but nothing in excess. Averaging 2.5K steps per day and trying not to go over that yet.
Muscles in my operated leg are feeling better and more flexible every day.
I am still using the walker though as the PT failed to analyze my gait on the last visit and teach me how and when to transition to the cane (and I completely forgot to ask). I am waiting for that spontaneous moment when I walk away fro the walker not even realizing it.
Am I a bit too chicken?
I climbed to the second floor for the first time yesterday. It felt good but still returned to the main floor to sleep in the recliner. It prevents me to turn in the bed.
I have a check up appointment with my OS on Friday, I got to come up with tons of questions.
Staples will be removed as well that day.
 
You're not chicken, level headed and cautious you are like all of us here. Switching to a cane can be a tricky this early. I didn't try my cane till I was able to put some weight on my leg and feel I wouldn't tip over or limp much. You are doing great, take care and slow is the best.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom