THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

Hi @CricketHip
Sleep is better now... the pain in the other hip is manageable too.
It was only that one night that I reached for hydromorphone.
I am down to 1 Naproxen and 3 x 1000 mg Tylenol per day.
I was using 2 canes to move around for few months before the surgery. I would like to think I should downsize...
I'll try tomorrow and see if I feel comfortable at all using the cane(s).
:flwrysmile:
 
I understand why you would want to downsize in the can department. Good luck with your experimenting today, I hope you are very pleasantly surprised. Whatever you decided works for you is ok, you know. There's no set solution when you still have a bad hip to cart around.
I'm relieved to know that it was just a one time incident where the un-operated hip was so painful.
 
:wave:@RinTinTin
Wondering if you felt one cane was helpful or if you've done some solo cruising yet?
The recommendations for using the cane well are...
Hold the cane in the hand opposite the hip replacement unless told otherwise. Put all your weight on your good leg. Find your balance. Move the cane and your operated leg forward.

I was nervous about putting all my weight on my legs but I pushed it a bit as I didn't have a "good leg" to stand on with my bilateral replacement:unsure:
It took a bit for my brain to wrap around the concept that the discomfort was muscles/soft tissue discomfort... not hip joint!
 
Put all your weight on your good leg. Find your balance. Move the cane and your operated leg forward.

I was nervous about putting all my weight on my legs but I pushed it a bit as I didn't have a "good leg" to stand on with my bilateral replacement:unsure:
It took a bit for my brain to wrap around the concept that the discomfort was muscles/soft tissue discomfort... not hip joint!
Hi @Mojo333...
I didn't have bilateral replacement but as you... I don't have a "good leg". In fact, my operated leg is already in much better condition than the "good leg" which is grinding, clicking, painful etc.
Yes, I tried to walk with the cane on the weekend... mostly Saturday but felt uncomfortable... the "good leg" is not helpful, it hurts, the limp is so obvious.
So I guess, I will mostly use the walker until I get the other hip replaced.
Unless there are more tips someone can share :flwrysmile:
 
So sorry the other hip is jealous and complaining.
It is ready for new parts too.
The walker is definitely the way to go, in my opinion.
You will only have to play like you're a little old man for a bit longer.:wink:
All worth it in the long run.
Keep the faith and keep rolling along.
 
So sorry you're still dragging a bum hip around. My sympathies to those who's recoveries are overshadowed by an uncooperative hip and another surgery looming, but it happens. All I can do is wish you comfort and hope time flies.
Warm wishes for a pleasant Monday.
@RinTinTin
 
Just wanted to pop by and say hello.
I am hoping time will fly for you so you can get hip #2 up to speed.
I thought of you as I have plans for decluttering this weekend (noticing your profession)
I'm a consummate procrastinator and borderline hoarder.
Theres just lots of sentimental stuff...too much of it... and I've got to get it out so I can begin some remodeling plans:umm:
Hope your week has some very happy spots in it.
 
I thought of you as I have plans for decluttering this weekend (noticing your profession)
I'm a consummate procrastinator and borderline hoarder.
Theres just lots of sentimental stuff...too much of it... and I've got to get it out so I can begin some remodeling plans:umm:
Hope your week has some very happy spots in it.
Hi @Mojo333, decluttering is not an easy process and most people simply don't know how and where to start.
It is interesting what we accumulate during our life times and still keep around thinking we are going to use it one day... or feel guilty to get rid because of sentimental value.
What I often suggest to my clients is to take pictures of sentimental items (Christmas cards, Birthday, Get well and other cards... even old family photos). You will still have all this sentimental value items with you, stored on external hard drive or phone but they won't occupy your living space anymore.
and... in all honesty, no one will be mad if you discard their get well card they once gave to you.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hey. Great idea.
Three or few years of major pack-ratting with the excuse of I need to do it myself, bad hips, recovering hips...
Now that I'm post op two years and feeling better than I have in 10...I'm out of excuses.
Wish me luck.
 
Hey. Great idea.
Three or few years of major pack-ratting with the excuse of I need to do it myself, bad hips, recovering hips...
Now that I'm post op two years and feeling better than I have in 10...I'm out of excuses.
Wish me luck.

I do wish you luck! you can do it... if you have any question... reach out!
I love what I am doing... I can't wait to get back to it :dancy:
 
Given your line of work...
You must get the heebie jeebies watching the show Hoarders. Do they have that in Canada? I would imagine since you enjoy what you do, viewing images of that sort would have you wanting to lend a hand.

I wish you weren't as uncomfortable as you are. I hope the weeks pass quickly so you can get through the surgery, begin healing again and move forward.
Peace and comfort to you!
@RinTinTin
 
Given your line of work...
You must get the heebie jeebies watching the show Hoarders. Do they have that in Canada? I would imagine since you enjoy what you do, viewing images of that sort would have you wanting to lend a hand.
@RinTinTin

I've seen Hoarders shows way before dealing with them became my profession.
In all honesty I thought the shows were exaggerating... just to attract the audience but trust me... it exists... and it is all around us.

I wish you weren't as uncomfortable as you are. I hope the weeks pass quickly so you can get through the surgery, begin healing again and move forward.
Peace and comfort to you!
@RinTinTin

It's been a month since my surgery! If it wasn't for the lefty awaiting replacement, I think I would be pretty okay. Can't complain about my recovery so far. I have to thank all Forum Advisors here and all the wonderful articles on this site. Reading all of them and following all of your advices made me slow down and not to do too much too soon.

I would strongly advise all of you who just got a new hip or are about to undergo surgery to do exactly the same (whether you are in your 40' or your 80') ... just take it easy... this is no race! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the kind words. We truly appreciate it!
I'm so sorry that your good fortune in your current recovery is being overshadowed by misbehavin' Lefty. Soon all will be golden!
Excited for you :happydance: Hang in there...
@RinTinTin
 
Hello kind Sir! Thanks for the compliments, I appreciated this forum so much in my early hip days, so it feels good to give back, now.
I am so proud of you, you are following the Bonesmart way and doing so well.

We just cleaned out our one car garage, it was packed! We sure could have used your help.
I am doing just as you said earlier to Layla.. I am digitizing my family photos and after my mom passed away we found a box full of old love letters to her from my dad, when he was in the army. They are priceless and I am scanning them so we all can have them.

Happy one month!! You got this!
 
We just cleaned out our one car garage, it was packed! We sure could have used your help.
I am doing just as you said earlier to Layla.. I am digitizing my family photos and after my mom passed away we found a box full of old love letters to her from my dad, when he was in the army. They are priceless and I am scanning them so we all can have them.

Happy one month!! You got this!

Way to go @CricketHip! Keeping the scans requires a hard drive or even a USB key sometimes... and I am positive your dad and mom would not mind you getting rid of all this letters. You will still have a digital copy to check back once in a while.
I love organizing garages... Did you know North America (USA and Canada) are the only counties in the world where almost everyone has a garage....but we keep our cars on the driveways and clutter our garages with all sort of unnecessary stuff :hairpulling:
 
I love organizing garages... Did you know North America (USA and Canada) are the only counties in the world where almost everyone has a garage....but we keep our cars on the driveways and clutter our garages with all sort of unnecessary stuff :hairpulling:
Yes, that is us! It was mainly full with our hobbies.. more husband than mine. We have steel scuba tanks , fishing rods,, many of them! Scuba gear, the list goes on.
But husband bought a older sports car and it has to be garaged.. for sure.
Funny thing we were able to find other ways to store things.. who knew?
That is interesting about the US and Canada and garages.

I guess you won't be doing that kind of work until the second hip is completed and healed?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom