THR RinTinTin Recovery Thread

Going home today. Everything seems to be okay with my progress. Had a session with PT where he thought me how to dress... walked a bit with the walker and learnt to climb the set of stairs using the cane. Still no bowel movement since early morning on the day of the surgery. Lots of gases though which is fine with the nurses here
 
I already know there will be no running. My OS told me that on our first meeting. No contact sports either (soccer, football etc.); no sports where you need to swing or fall (tennis, skying etc).
Hey, but there are still tons of options out there to stay active and fit.
My ortho is a pickelball player so he has different thoughts about sports, especially racket sports. While he doesn't recommend singles tennis anymore, which I haven't played in years because of my TKR, he's totally ok with doubles pickelball. Not nearly so hard on the body. There are several people where I play with HR who play, albeit a bit more conservatively to avoid falls, etc. I'm not saying go and do anything contrary to your doc's recommendation, but there are other opinions. As an athlete all my life, I truly understand my body's innate need to move! When I couldn't play competitive tennis anymore, I took up golf, which I love. Since I discovered pickleball (cheaper and a ton of fun), I don't play much golf. The point, there's always some new activity to discover. I wish you all the best in your ongoing Adventure!!! :kayak::realing::surfer::tennis2::walking:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve never seen anyone playing pickleball here where I live. I will have to do some detective work once I’m ready to rock .
Yes, I am sure there tons of options to stay fit and I am sure I’ll find something I love.
Malama pono :thankyou:
 
Canada is one of the best places to find pickleball! It's an addictive sport, fastest growing in the US. From 2 million last year to 8 million this year. All you have to do is Google your area and you will probably find community centers who offer it. Not only is it fun, great exercise, delightfully challenging, but you will meet some awesome folks! I'm heading to Indian Wells in November for the Nationals. Nope, not playing obviously, but love the tournament energy. As you say, there are lots of options to stay fit and have great hopes you will find something that matches you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Safe travels home @RinTinTin
Hope to hear how the journey went once you're comfortably settled in at home.
There is no place like home for rest and peace from all of the unwelcome interruptions of a surgery site.
Let the healing begin! :SUNsmile:
 
I already know there will be no running. My OS told me that on our first meeting. No contact sports either (soccer, football etc.); no sports where you need to swing or fall (tennis, skying etc).
Hey, but there are still tons of options out there to stay active and fit.
At the moment all I want is to feel good and enjoy

If a golf swing is ok and you don't already play I'd suggest looking up a friend who does play and give it a try. It gets you outside, you can walk or take a cart, and you have a purpose (getting the ball from the tee box to the hole) that takes your mind off of most everything else going on in your life for 4 hours or so.
 
Welcome back home!! Ok, maybe not just yet, but sometime today. That is such good news, everything feels better in your own space. I'm feeling relaxed just thinking about it. :ice: (a subliminal reminder).
Will your wife be able to take a few days off to help you? Of course it's Friday already so that should help.
 
Happy Friday!
Did you fly the coop yet? :chuck: :chuckmarch:
Hopefully you're chillin and getting some restorative rest at home by now.
Don't get too wild this weekend! :wink:
@RinTinTin
 
The very best wishes for a speedy and pain free, as possible, recovery.

Thank you @MEPil.

So far everything seems to be okay. Not much pain and minimal swelling. I was instructed to take 1 or 2 5 mg Percocet with Acetaminophen every 4 to 6 hours.
Took 2 pills every 4 hours yesterday and over night but woke up completely groggy and decided to go to 1 pill every 6 hours. I am more alert now.
Got also 10 mg Oxycodone HCL to take every 12 hours if needed but was too chicken to take any.
Stool softener worked :)
Started also with blood thinners and will have to take them for next 3 weeks.
I am resting a lot, elevating and icing.
 
Good plan! I alternated my codeine and acetaminophen so that everything didn't lapse at once. Kept the pain monkey at bay. I too reduced the stronger stuff to half dose during the day but I did take full dose for night. Keep up the good work! :thumb:
 
Happy Saturday!
I hope you're resting comfortably, been sleeping well and your pain is under control.
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing first weekend home.
@RinTinTin
 
Happy Saturday!
I hope you're resting comfortably, been sleeping well and you r pain is under control.
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing first weekend home.
@RinTinTin

Thanks @Layla... I am resting in the comfortable recliner... going only for a short walks to the washroom. I decided today that I will double my walks, so every tie I need to go to the washroom, I go there first, return to my recliner than go again to the washroom. All together not a long walk.
I am afraid I am not walking enough.
What would you guys suggest? I know sone of us are too ambitious from the start but then suffer a bit later.
I keep the pain under the control, resting, elevating, icing...doing muscle activation exercises PT suggested.... nothing in excess. Am I doing too little?
:old:
 
No! Like your 'double back' plan. Sounds fine. You'll get bored soon and walk around a bit more as and when you feel up to it. Nobody got into the ODIC from doing too little!
 
You sound like you are doing a good job!! I like the idea of doubling your walk to the bathroom. My biggest concern would be if you are sleeping a lot and not getting up. What my Pre Op Doctor recommended to me was to try and get up and walk a bit every hour. Sometimes it went to close to 2 hour gaps, when I was so groggy! But that was the goal he gave me to adhere to.
I think you're doing great! :ice:
 
My biggest concern would be if you are sleeping a lot and not getting up. What my Pre Op Doctor recommended to me was to try and get up and walk a bit every hour. Sometimes it went to close to 2 hour gaps, when I was so groggy! But that was the goal he gave me to adhere to.
I think you're doing great! :ice:

Thanks @CricketHip I love your advise and will stick to it starting tomorrow. My OS told me I am free to stand fully on my leg but it still feels very weird... I can only slightly bend the operated leg knee when moving forward even though the bed exercises feel fine.
I guess patience is the key!
:)
 
@RinTinTin Sounds like you ar doing well. First 1–2 weeks at home I mostly iced and elevated and only cruised around the house with my walker when I needed to use the bathroom or get myself a snack or drink. I think around 7-10 days post op I started to add extra steps when I was up. I did make sure I was doing ankle pumps and just moving my feet and or legs around while in the recliner or elevating. Leg/knee slides always felt good to me when resting. Had home PT twice a week for the first two weeks home. Only did minimal exercises while they were there and only if it didn't hurt. Did a lot less than what they recommended daily and only those exercises that felt good. I think being the boss of your own recovery will bring on the best results. Hoping the next few days go by quickly for you and wishing you smooth sailing. :egypdance:
 
You, my friend, have log leg! Isn't it the strangest thing? I felt like I needed to rock a bit side to side, like a waddle if I wanted to get anywhere in those first days. Or at least I did that to get started! :)
I hope you get a good night's sleep in..
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom