TKR Right TKR July 10...the start of something big!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh DeeDee
I am only 12 days out and feel like you are writing my story. My first week went awesome and I was so excited to "be ahead of the game" I allowed my PT to push me and I was as active as felt comfortable - folded some laundry, lots of walking around, sat at the table for dinner. Only to come to a skreeching halt Saturday night. For the first time since my surgery my left knee swelled and my right knee didn't want to bend at all. I became an instant member in the ODIC!!! I am 46, have kids that are 12 & 14 and am constantly on the go and I seem to be constantly in motion. Well let's just say week two and the swelling has put me into a totally different place. By over doing it, I lost almost 10 degrees in my ROM for both knees. Even though I have been extremely frustrated and shed plenty of tears at the set back, I am SO THANKFUL for all of the other Bonesmarties. I did not panic, but rather knew I had to literally shut myself down and let my "angry" knees find a happier spot. I am now on the couch, legs elevated and icing almost constantly except to take care of bodily functions. Swelling hasn't decreased much but the pressure and pain have slowly begun to decrease. I have a great support crew and need to stick to my saying "it's all about me" right now to get well because that is what they want from me. May we both find the strength to learn to sit still and take this "much needed vacation" to reach our peak rather than "enduring" our post-op recovery.
Hugs
Stacie
 
Now that I'm @ 5 weeks tomorrow I can tell a vast difference in my mobility from 2 weeks ago. The cane is being used more for balance than walking assistance, I'm hoping taking the Aleve will help with my continued elevating and icing to get the swelling down. There is a visible difference in the knees, but it was swollen preop as well. I also had about 85-90 flexion pre op.

I'm praying the new PT will understand that yes, this is going to take work on my part....and I'm not afraid of work, but I'm not going to be in forced pain. I was aware that pain meds have side effects, but wow....have never been on them this long and the emotions are wacka-do. It's ok....today I haven't even thought about being in pain...I literally just took my first 1/2 pain pill since 4 am.

I'm REALLLLLLLLLLLLY loving my Bravos! I'm not a fair weather fan either...been there when we couldn't catch our shadow! This team is young....and has so much natural talent! They're still making some crazy errors, but they're doing well. Once they really get settled in their skin we have potential for some serious longevity! (I'm a baseball nerd! I also love my dirty birds! Go Falcons!).

Funny thing about the Falcons is my bf bought us season tix to the Jaguars season this year. He's a big JAX fan.... House divided. Luckily we're not going to pre-season so opening day is my two month mark. I'm praying that with a 5 hour drive the night before I'll have time to ice the knee and be able to go to the game as well! Time will tell!

(I could talk sports all day! Being southern we love God, sweet tea and the SEC! College foot ball season starts soon and my big bad DAWGS are looking great this year too!)

Ok...I'll stop now! :rofsign:
 
Oh DeeDee
I am only 12 days out and feel like you are writing my story. My first week went awesome and I was so excited to "be ahead of the game" I allowed my PT to push me and I was as active as felt comfortable - folded some laundry, lots of walking around, sat at the table for dinner. Only to come to a skreeching halt Saturday night. For the first time since my surgery my left knee swelled and my right knee didn't want to bend at all. I became an instant member in the ODIC!!! I am 46, have kids that are 12 & 14 and am constantly on the go and I seem to be constantly in motion. Well let's just say week two and the swelling has put me into a totally different place. By over doing it, I lost almost 10 degrees in my ROM for both knees. Even though I have been extremely frustrated and shed plenty of tears at the set back, I am SO THANKFUL for all of the other Bonesmarties. I did not panic, but rather knew I had to literally shut myself down and let my "angry" knees find a happier spot. I am now on the couch, legs elevated and icing almost constantly except to take care of bodily functions. Swelling hasn't decreased much but the pressure and pain have slowly begun to decrease. I have a great support crew and need to stick to my saying "it's all about me" right now to get well because that is what they want from me. May we both find the strength to learn to sit still and take this "much needed vacation" to reach our peak rather than "enduring" our post-op recovery.
Hugs
Stacie

It's the hardest thing I've ever done....but I'm praying I'm one that will look back and say yes it was soooo worth it! I remember 12 days out....and it does get better. I'm still working on it getting better....a work in progress is STILL progress right?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR July 10...the start of something big!
Great job!!!! Just a little hint--if you want your recovery thread title shorter, you can delete everything but "right-tkr-july10-the-start-of-something-big" and it will still be the link to your thread. I did that with mine.
 
Ok...so I guess my body is telling me it's healing. The last few days have taken less and less pain pills. Wednesday only took 2 Aleve and 1/2 Vicodin for a 12 hour span. Thursday I only was able to last 10 hours on the same regiment, but it's only because I'm NOT in need of the additional pain control. I think taking the Aleve (2 in the am and 2 in the pm) really is helping reduce some of the swelling and some of the pain.

Now if I can get the knee to bend past 85 I'll be ok.
 
I am so glad you are doing a little better;' I felt so, so bad for you when I read how that therapist treated you; I also will say a prayer that your new therapist is much more gentle. The fact that you are in less pain is great and you will get your numbers to where they should be. Let us know how your new therapist is.
 
Unfortunately I didn't make it to therapy today...darn car problems! I have much higher hopes for this therapist because when I called to make the appointment I spoke with him and he seemed to be appauled how I was treated. I will know more when I get there next week. I got for my 6 week follow up on Monday.... I hope my doc is ok with things.... :/
 
Hey Deedles8,

I am so glad to hear that you are doing better. I was wondering when you were going to make the turn. I am also glad to hear that you like what you hear from your new PT. Hooray! :yay: I can't wait to hear what your OS says about how you are doing. Hopefully he will be great with all you have accomplished. You are doing great!

Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
I wound up not making it to thery on Friday. My bf's car broke down so I had to reschedule for Tuesday. I do go tomorrow for my 6 week post op check up. I'm worried because of my lack of rom, but will go to ther therapist with high hopes of working smart to get things going well. I guess time will tell.
 
Just got home from docs office....GREAT NEWS! He's pleased with my gait and stability, said ROM is ok because there is "cushioning" in the knee. Apparently because the ROM preop wasn't great he expected me not to be able to bend as easily as others. He said he wouldn't consider MUA until I'm closer to 6 months because its just not the right time. Too much can be done in that length of time so he isn't worried. :happydance:

I work a desk job so he's released me to go back to work....which should help make me feel more normal and help with the emotional issues. I'm almost off all the meds except at night....and really he said that was fine as well because that's usually the hardest time to get over. :flwrysmile:

I start with the new therapist tomorrow after work so all in all I am starting to feel somewhat human again! Thought that would never happen but it is.....and I'm happy. I'm going to miss my time at home, but I'm ready to let normalcy resume! :yahoo:

Tank you all for listening to me....I really do know that this community loves unconditionally and that is huge in this type of situation! :thankyou:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR July 10...the start of something big!
Deedles8, back to "normal"---that's what this was all about!!! Plan to experience the energy drain at the end of your work day and plan to do as little as possible when you get home for the first week or so. Takes a bit to get back into the stride of things.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
I just retread my entire thread....wow....this has been a tough journey. I think Im finally at the point that Im feeling better more than Im not....it's not easy to see, but I see where this is going to be ok. Can't say Im 100% happy but I am far more hopeful than I was.
 
Deedles8
Good for you, Dee Dee! I am so glad that the doctor is pleased with your progress. :dancy: Some sort of normal is right around the corner. Judy is right! You will feel drained. It gets better after the first week. :SUNsmile:

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
IM SOOOOOOO EXCITED! Just left therapy with the new therapist and while he's going to push he's not going to cause pain. He agrees pain will not help. I told him about what the other therapist did and he said it sounded like he was treating me as if I had a manipulation. I paid the initial measurement and I was at 86 and with a few ovements and stretches he got me to........94! He said gentle and easy movements and it'll come to me as I need it! He measured again at the end and I was able to get to 90 on my own with out any assistance! :shocked:

I'm so far pleased with him and am actually looking forward to my next session on Thursday! :ok: :heehee:

I also got a special gift on the way home....a rainbow. My mom as been gone for almost 10 years but every time I see a rainbow it feels like a hello from my mom. It was a sign I needed.....and now I can go to bed happy!
 
Deedles8

I am so happy for you Dee Dee! :dancy: You needed something to make you happy. I am so glad that you found a PT who is not going to work you like a drill Sargent! :cheers: I am also glad that you had some change in your ROM.:egypdance:

I love rainbows! :kittykiss: Rainbows have a very special meaning to you, but they are beautiful for me!

Have an awesome evening! :flwrysmile:
 
Started back to work on Wednesday and other than being exhausted, it's seriously helped my psychie. I'm not a good stay-at-home person so being back out amongst the living is a great thing for me! I had my second therapists appointment on Thursday and gained about 6 more degrees, so I'm hopeful! Only little twinges of pain during the day, but the muscles bark at night. I know they're getting stronger, and the knee is working better.

I have a friend who had BTKR 13 days after me and I think he's superman. He's got 118/116 rom and is already considering going back to work! He's off pain meds during the day but struggling at night, but I'm almost in disbelief because of his recovery. I told him to come on here, but I'm not sure if he will or not..... I think he's over doing it, but he and his doc are happy with his progress.
 
Hey Dee Dee,

Your progress sounds great! Please take it easy going to work. I am the President of ODIC and am waiting for impeachment proceedings! :rotfl: Truthfully, please don't overdo it. It isn't pretty the next day. :sick: I hated going to work the day after doing too much the day before. I am absolutely happy for you that things are going so much better! I was worried about you. Now I don't have to worry! :)

You can't compare your recovery to anyone else. WE all heal at different rates and our ROM and extensions are all different, too! I still can't straighten to 0. I am not there yet. I see that many already have 0 for straightening and am so jealous. I work and work at it. I will get there! :thumb:

Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
Patience is a virtue that is one of life's hardest lessons to learn. I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER ask to learn patience again....(I didn't ask for it this time but sometimes you have lessons given to you wether you want it or not!

I'm not far behind you, and I so agree with your patience comment....Such a hard one for me to learn. I am learning one day at a time.
My daughter I law is getting confirmed tonight, they want me to go....I have said I won't know until the time comes, if I'm up to it or not.
So for the first time in my life, I have also learnt to say NO... And it feels good. lol have a great day. Regards Leonie :dancy: :tada: :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom