Guest viewing is limited

TKR Right TKR July 10...the start of something big!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josephine I have a question. My knee feels good except the patella. It forever feels like I have a 5 lb weight is sitting on my knee. Is this normal? The patella area is now where the pain is. I'm only 7 weeks post op, and I don't know if I'm still overly worried, but I won't be able to tolerate things if this doesn't go away.
 
As far as the pain - that is the location that I feel the most discomfort. My hamstring and calf are tight and the quad is sore because of having been atrophied before surgery I do realize hat will take time to get back to normal. I'm just changing pain control from Norco 5/3.25 to Tramadol. Ice and elevating several times a day, so while that does help, this is the main concern I have.

The link you gave does seem like where the pain is, so I can only hope it will get better over time.
 
Hi Dee Dee,

How are you doing? I haven't seen you post anything recently about your journey. I hope you are doing well and are getting along fine. Please let us know how you are doing.

Take Care! :flwrysmile:
 
I'm tired of complaining so I figured if I don't have anything nice to say I'll just not say anything at all. I still totally regret doing this. I hate the constant weight feeling on my knee. I hate that I'm 9 weeks post and cant bend past 105 (with assistance). I hate the tightness in my quad because of the atrophy pre-surgery and it is causing things to just be really slow for me and I have no patience.....

Total regret.....still
 
[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR July 10...the start of something big!
Nine weeks is still early in knee replacement recovery; and if the knee and leg were really out of condition before surgery, then everything is apt to take longer. Many members have not been very happy until 6 to 9 months post op. This is a recovery that takes a lot of TIME and that means that you have to have a lot of PATIENCE to get through it.

Reality is not meeting expectations--and that's hard to swollow. But given enough TIME and PATIENCE, it WILL get better. Thinking positive and counting the blessings you do have and noting all the little milestones may help.

[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR July 10...the start of something big!
Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
 
I'm tired of complaining so I figured if I don't have anything nice to say I'll just not say anything at all. I still totally regret doing this. I hate the constant weight feeling on my knee. I hate that I'm 9 weeks post and cant bend past 105 (with assistance). I hate the tightness in my quad because of the atrophy pre-surgery and it is causing things to just be really slow for me and I have no patience.....

Total regret.....still

Deedles8 I am 12 weeks today. People keep asking me if I am happy with my new knee. I tell them to please ask me in a couple of months because this journey is a marathon not a sprint. I just figured out this past weekend that I am doing better. It took me having a sinus infection and mega antibiotics to realize it. I still feel pain (stiffness) in bed and don't sleep all night because of it. I wake at least 3 or 4 times each night to stretch my knee and readjust. Some nights I can't get back to sleep for quite some time. I get up Monday through Friday at 5 am to get ready for the day. Not sleeping takes its toll on me especially when I am working in a prison for 20 hours per week. I go back full time on Monday. I don't think I am ready, but I am diving in head first. I don't show that my knee is stiff while I am at work, but it does get stiff when I sit too long.

It can be extremely disappointing to not be able to do what you think you should be doing at a certain point. I was extremely frustrated and disappointed that I couldn't straighten out my knee which I achieved last week. When I went to PT this Monday I saw someone who was stretching their leg who had a TKR. She straightened out her leg extremely straight. I said to my PT that I wanted my leg to straighten out that well. My PT said to me that I do straighten out my leg (knee) like that. I looked at her all crazy :rolleyes: and said that my knee doesn't do that. :no-fin: She proved me wrong. :yikes: It really does straighten. :shocked: It just took time. :hairpulling: In my stubborn brain I thought I should be able to do this within the first 4 weeks. Hahahaha!!! :heehee: 7 weeks later it happened. It just takes time, sweetie. Please don't think we don't care or don't want to try to help you through this process. This is why I asked about you. I care!
 
Hi Deedles8 I'm now at 10 weeks and still have aches and pains, twinges and zaps, stiffness and all sorts of strange feelings. This takes patience and I find it a hard lesson to learn but, I'm getting it.
I want to go and I want to go in the fast lane after years of inactivity and pain. It's going to be a while longer but we will get there. At least now, even though we aren't where we want to be, we are not getting worse like we were before surgery. (Seems like it sometimes)
please take care.
Wanda
 
I have another worry - I'm on the last of the pain pills my doctor has given me and has said he won't give me any more. My problem is the weight feeling on my knee hurts. I'm totally frustrated....I have no patience and have admitted this - and it bothers me that I don't have anything I can do to make it feel better. I also feel like since I have this sensation that causes pain and they're telling me I can't have any more pain meds, that I'm totally freaking out about it. I go back on 9/30 for my 12 week appointment, but they won't give me anything else until then. I get they don't want me addicted, but if I'm in pain I'm certainly NOT a pleasant person to deal with!

i do appreciate all the kindness and support you all have provided. It means the world, but I'm not the best patient in the world and I know it!
 
Have you tried mild heat on those pesky muscles?
 
You can buy some tylenol and ibuprophen and take them together. That should help you alot. Give it a try.
I don't have the same pains your have, but I do lose my patience once in awhile. I'm around 11 or 12 weeks out and can't walk correctly without my walker. Most other patients gave up their walkers and canes weeks ago, but I'm still at it and it does get discouraging at times. Its hard to not compare yourself to other patients in therapy class. Hang in there because they tell us it will get better and I think its wise to believe the people who went before us. They should know.
 
Ok so I know I've been a negative nelly through this process, but today brought a bit of encouragement for me. My therapist made a point to me that I believe has made me think.......he said that while I'm living the every day I don't notice the improvements that I have made. He hit the nail on the head when he said "you're young and you expected to be able to jump up and get back to living life and that's just not how it works. Your knee took time to get to the point of needing to be replaced, so it's going to take time to get the knee to work again. If you were able to jump back up and get back at it you wouldn't have needed the replacement to begin with. You probably didn't realize prior to surgery how 'off' your walk was but now at you're walking more comfortably your thinking you should be able to run and the knee won't let you at this point." He said its like going on a diet....you didn't put the wieight on over night so you're not going to lose it over night either.

Today he gave 'visual' measurements and said that my improvement is great from where I started...I was 85 when I started and now I'm well over 100. My extension was about 9 and now I'm either at 0 or very very close.

It's hard to live the day-to-day of this, but if I stop and look at where I was from surgery to now, I have made great progress. I'm walking mostly without a limp and no walking aides. I sleep all night basically comfortably, though I have to keep a pillow between my knees on my right side. The majority of may pain is controlled with 1/2 a tramadol 2x daily (one a day basically) except on therapy days I take an extra half.

I still have the heavy feeling on my knee, but have been reassured by my doctor and therapist that as I continue to gain strength it should dissipate.

I can't promise I won't keep enjoying the 'whine' I've been served, but I want to believe that this will get better....I just my have to have it pointed out to me.
 
Ha! I called my doc's office today to se if I could talk to the nurse. I've been spreading out the last of my Tramadol, but the pain isn't "in my head" (which is a fear of mine) but I still have the very heavy feeling on my knee. My doctor actually called me (not his PA or the nurse...but the doc himself.) and said that if I'm having genuine pain (and I described what I'm feeling and he agrees it qualifies as pain) that I can still get assistance with pain meds. I do go back to see him on the 30th for the 12 week visit, so he's assured me he will talk to me more then and see what the protocol will be from there.

If that sensation would go away I think I could actually bend my knee happily without any issues. LOL
 
Hi DeeDee
I'm only a few years older than you and had both knees done, but can totally relate to the heavy feeling and slow progress. When I am having a really down day, I often make myself a list of "what's better", even if it is small. You listed a ton of good things about sleeping, walking without assistance, etc. I've had to go as small as "I can lift my leg on the bed unassisted", etc. I'm still using my walker at 7 weeks. I never expected that I would - thought a few weeks and I should be good to go. I like how your PT was able to explain how long things took to get bad, so getting better is not an over night process. Hang in there and watch each day for the little ups that eventually add up to progress.
Take care,
Stacie
 
Thank you. I guess they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.....well I should be able to bench press a Buick shortly. :heehee:
 
Deedles8 What do you say to us bench pressing the Buick together? Would make it easier on both of us and if one of us gets stuck the other can give a yank (on an arm of course). Same theory as "patience is a virtue" well my virtue went out the window middle of week 2 and is definitely a work in progress....
Stacie
 
Finally started to feel the knee is improving and I've messed up something in my back! Ugh
 
I think the back problems are going around. :( Me too!


Sent from my presidential platinum ODIC iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom