TKR Right TKR July 10...the start of something big!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear you are doing better. Remember breath soon this will be behind us.
 
Good morning Deedles8 Try to have another low key day today. In fact have lots of low key days!:SUNsmile: 19 days for me and I don't do much but I do increase my activity a little at a time. This past few days I am doing very light housework, I help a little with meal prep, no cooking! sometimes wipe the counters etc.and put the occasional small load of laundry in the washer.
I make myself a light snack and cuppa and go outside to sit in the sun so this gives me my stair climbing practice a few times a day.
Independence is coming but there is still a ways to go! I'm a go, go, go, person and the inactivity is hard to deal with but I'm learning patience. As the pain and discomfort is decreasing I want to do more so...... I tested the waters yesterday and went on a short trip to the supermarket. 15 minutes was enough and I won't be going again today! :snork:
Oh the joy of pain meds and potty time!:whistle:I take my meds with prunes for dessert. It took me a while to get this sorted. Even with prunes and lots of fruit you may still need a stool softener and drink lots if you can.
Slow and easy, one day at a time
Wanda:friends:
 
Yep...it's a lazy day cause the pain level is a bit higher than normal today. I'm scheduled to get my staples out tomorrow...and I've had staples befor but can't remember if it hurts or not. I want to take a nap but can't shut the brain off to actually sleep....so I'm watching my Braves play.
 
Hi Dee Dee,

Sorry to hear that your pain level is higher today. I hope it eases quickly. Go Braves! :)

Get some rest! :zzz: Good luck to you tomorrow at the doctor's office. :)

Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
I hope you are able to get your pain under control.
 
oops, hit post before I was done. I was also going to say that I hope you can let your mind relax. Easier said than done, but you need to in order to get some rest. Hope it goes well getting the staples out tomorrow.
 
Hi Dee Dee
This is the first time I have read through your posts even though I have been thinking of you. I am So, SO sorry about all your pain and hope it is getting better; how are you sleeping. I have been a crab the past couple of day as I can't go to the bathroom so when you add all the other things you are going through no wonder you are a wreck. Is your BF at least being supportive and helpful? Please let us know how you are doing; I think when one of us in in pain we all feel bad.

Karyn
 
My bf is as comforting as he can be. It's not his forte, but he tries. I'm also one of these that when I'm as frustrated as I've been I tend to just cry....I also miss my momma so bad when I don't feel well...so no ones love or comfort can provide like mom. I'm heading out today to 'hopefully' get the staples out....since this is my 10 day follow up.
 
You are so right about wanting your mom at times like this; my mom died when I was 7 and still when I am really sick I whimper for my mom. A far as most men, you are right also they try and my husband is the best but I usually end up getting frustrated with him and end up crying more. Good luck today
 
Hi Dee Dee,

I hope you have a good doctor's visit today! Let us know how it went.

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Saples are out and for the most part it didn't hurt, but there were a few I yelped on! I have the steri strips in place but since it my right leg I'm still not released to drive for at least another 4 weeks! (Kinda knew that would be the case though.). X-rays says everything looked relalyy good and was pleased with how I was doing over all.
 
Yes. He's increased my night time dosage and said that once the swelling goes down ( and now with the staples out it should happen more now...)that as my therapy gets better and my muscles relax it will get better. I'm just not patient...
 
Hi Dee Dee - I just found your thread and have followed your progress. You have a great "team" of Bonesmartie buddies here! Your concerns brought back memories of a lot of mine as well. The occasional jabs of pain :hissy: , the pain, the days spent crying and depression jags :boohoo: , not sleeping :groan: , the "potty problems :sick: ," etc. I am nearly 9 and 7 1/2 months now and can happily report it does get better! But know that all you are going through is normal! :martini:

Lots of nerves and tendons were abused while our knees were deteriorating - it takes them a bit of time to recover from the trauma of the surgery and not having to overwork to keep us steady. As those regenerate and turn back on, we do get those sudden jars of pain- temporary. I now just laugh and welcome the new green-lighted nerve!

I had horrible problems with the potty - amazing how nasty those pain meds can be on our systems! I was on Smooth Move as a softener (still take it) and Ducolax has a nice women's forula which did the trick for me a couple of times. If prunes do it for you, all the better - they are natural. :heehee: And almonds have been great for my stomach as well. I also started taking a pro-biotic since the meds screw up our innards so badly. That seems to have helped immensely.

Keep icing - the whole Bonesmart mantra is right on, rest, elevate, ice, and stay ahead of the meds! There were a couple days when I grabbed a book, laid on the couch, and had my leg straight up against the wall! Amazing swelling reduction. I had a great massage therapist friend who came to the house a couple times and really worked on getting the lymph to flow, from the foot and ankle working up. SO amazing with the reduction of swelling my OS actually recommends it now! Less swelling = less pain = more movement.:bicycle1:(By the way, I am now doing about 10 mi/day on my exercise bike!)

I hope you don't mind my "stopping in" to your thread Dee Dee. It will only get better. :happydance:
 
All encouragement is very welcome! I'm hoping I can look back and appreciate this temporary time in the progress....but in the midst it's difficult to think its going to be that much better. I know from expire nice that he probabilities are that I will have that opportunity, but this is way more pain than I even imagined.

I know I'll get off my pity party soon....keep me focused on what lies ahead and as I progress I'll get there too!!!
 
That you will Dee Dee. I cannot tell you how absolutely invaluable the site was during my recovery and hearing people consantly tell me it would get better. Better yet was seeing what they were doing at various stages in their own recoveries on days when I didn't think I could make it to the next day! Just keep telling yourself - "I know I can, I know I can!" I sounds like your PT & your OS are quite sure you are making great progress. That should be so reassuring.
 
Hi, I'm glad you have the staples out. I had a few in each leg that caused a bit of grief for a second or two as well.
when the nurse took mine out she put on steri strips as well. Boy did she ever put them on! She put them on by the package. I kid you not. Both my incisions are still completely covered. I was asked today when do I get the dressings off! :snork:
I agree the pain is something I was not prepared for even after having 3 major abdominal surgeries! :shocked:Mine has been more of an annoying ache for the past week and a half so you know better days are close. I'm not too sure about the nights. Two hours is as much as I sleep at a time but this may be a good thing as I get up a couple of times each night an it helps relieve the stiffness. I slept through one night after I got home and the next day was murder. I felt like I was trying to move two aching logs.
I'm close enough to you in this recovery to know exactly how you feel right now and far enough ahead to be able to tell you the worst of the pain is nearly over. :SUNsmile: Soon, you won't anyone to keep you focused on the good things to come. You'll start to start to see them for yourself!
Take it slow and easy
Wanda :friends:
 
Prunes....not a fave...but I wound up using a suppository....I was at my wits ends....!!
They have new ones out that are prunes with an essence of cherry. Actually good. They have essence of orange and they are ok. But cherry. Give it a try!

I had surgery July 9 and I don't get staples out til tomorrow and I don't see my doctor til 8/22. Funny how things can be so different
I do have email access to him so that seems to work for Rx refills and questions.
 
Staples out have given a bit of relief from one small source of pain. All other pain has been the exact same through the whole time...so I'm sure it's the muscles trying to get back where they should be. Sometimes I really think some of the pain I can actually feel some of the things that was done during surgery. (Is that possible?).

My doctor is letting me work from home starting Thursday for a few hours. Mentally I need to do something. TV is boring me to tears. They're working around my PT schedule and because of some issues in my department they're just happy I'm able to help! LOL
 
EllaGrace Welcome! I am sorry you have had a rough go these first few weeks. As you will hear often here, it does get better, so try to hang in there through these early days. Ice became my best friend. I don't know how familiar you are with Bonesmart. Do you have your own thread? You will be amazed by the care, information, support, and love you will feel from all of the people here. Good luck to you!

DeeDee, how was your day? I would guess you are still feeling what they did during surgery. I remember having pain down into my shin bone and my PT telling me it was just part of how they manhandled me during surgery.
Glad you can work from home a bit. My brain is mush from so much TV! Hope you find some sleep tonight.
PJ
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom