TKR Right TKR July 10...the start of something big!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dee Dee - you sound great! Good that you are keeping ahead of the pain. Looking forward to more of your updates.

Hugs
Denise
 
Today is a "lazy" day typically...but today I've managed to get a shower, do my home therapy and add a heel/calf stretch in.

Does anyone else have a really tight hamstring and calf? I'm hoping that's normal. I feeli like once those are stretched I can walk better....but I'm certainly not trying to push myself to hard, but that is where my head is.

I also get a stabbing feeling on the inside of my knee....it's random, so I'm hoping its really just a spasm.

How is everyone else doing?
 
Hi, Yep I had all of the above. It does lessen as days go on. I'm on my 12th post op day and feeling good. Not ready for the marathon but looking back over the last two weeks my daily slow steady progress has really added up to a huge improvement.
Take it slow and easy and take care
Wanda:)
 
Is there a secret to keeping pain under control while sleeping? Every night I'm guessing the pain pills wear off while I'm sleeping. Should I set an alarm over night to take my meds during the night? I keep being awaken by excruciating pain and it takes at least 30 min after I take a pill to get it back under control!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Right TKR July 10...the start of something big!
Yes, by all means, Deedles8, set that clock so you keep your pain meds on a schedule. You won't have to do this for long, but it's better than spending 30 minutes waiting to feel better.
 
Dee Dee - you got to shower...Hooray!!! It must have been heavenly. I hope you take the great suggestion to set your alarm to take your pain meds on schedule rather than deal with the horrendous pain until the pills take affect.

Hugs,
Denise
 
Yes Denise the shower was beautiful! Just finished my first home therapy and it was great! She was impressed with my ROM and extension, balance is good and mobility is good. She increasing a few exercises to help work stability in the new knee and I know there will be a lot more work to do...but I certainly have hope it will be worth it! I'm smiling big right now!!!!
 
Today is a week out and other than pain control at night I'm great - actually pleased. But boy oh Boy that night time pain is HARD. The incision looks good and I'm hoping to get staples out on Monday when I go for follow up.

PT is very pleased with strength and the early stages of my gait she's wanting to make sure I work on being even instead of walking with a limp. She says ROM and extension will come as swelling decreases. She's great...pushes to 'discomfort' but not pain. Great personality and has worked with many replacements so I think I've got a good match for me!

I wanted to up load a pic of my scar but it keeps saying its too big...any thoughts? (I'm on an iPad...so I don't know how to fix it.)

Have a great day!!!
 
Hi Dee Dee,

The walking without a limp stopped for me when the outpatient PT did massage therapy on me this past Monday. My hamstrings and calf were tight like yours. See if your home PT will do some massage therapy on your hamstrings and calf. You sound like you are doing quite well otherwise.

Take care :flwrysmile:
Maria
 
The key word for massage is "gentle." It shouldn't hurt. If it does, it's too early in your recovery to have it done. Done properly and at the right time, it could be wonderful. My home PT has the magic touch when it comes to gently relaxing the tissues around my scar at the start of a session--I then get better ROM (without trying very hard at all) than when I'm doing my stretches on my own. Maria, did you mean the limp while walking stopped after you got massage, or that you went from walking without a limp to having a limp? Hope it's the former.
 
First time to read through your recovery DeeDee. Sounds like you and I are very similar except (lucky for me) I'm not having the pain at night. I'm still taking meds on the 4 hour mark and usually wake up before they're due, but not because of pain. I do have the spasms and pain on the inside of the joint (which is where it hurt before the surgery.) Hamstring is tight as well, but am working on stretches. Good luck to you tonight.
 
If I had to do this again I wouldn't. This has not been a good expire nice for me. I have good moments, but when the pain hits its far more excruciating than any pain I felt pre-op. I hate this....more than anything I HATE this.
 
Oh DeeDeee I am so sorry you are in such pain.my surgery was the day before you. I have had moments of pain but over all I try to stay ahead. Maybe your Dr. Needs to switch your pain jeer call tomorrow and check. I take oxycodone every 4 hours and if I need it a traamadol at 2 hours. Please call your surgeon and talk to him Mari
 
I've got oxycodone every 4 hours and a muscle relaxer as needed or every 6-8 hours. I'm just miserable....I can control the pain during the day usually but if it gets bad it gets bad fast and VERY painful. I'm scared to sleep because of it.....I cry at least 3-4 times a day....I wish I could go back to how it was before.
 
Honey please call tomorrow none of us should be in that much pain. Are you elevating your leg? Tonight set your alarm to wake you to take your meds. This is an odd question but are you sleeping alone? If not maybe try that.
 
I am so sorry to hear that you are in such pain, Dee Dee. :boohoo: Please call the doctor's office tomorrow. :beg:
 
I've set my alarm for my meds but I wake up before it goes off anyway. I am sleeping alone because I don't want to wake my bf - but he wakes up anyway. I'm thinking I may try sleeping in my recliner tonight to see if there may be an angle that is better.

I don't meant to sound whimsy, but this is crazy....and I'm frustrated.
 
Deedles8 Hi, it's awful isn't it. I'm 8 days ahead of you. My BTKR was on the 2nd. and it does seem harder during the night. No way to find the good place in bed. I've been sleeping alone as well because I need the whole bed to thrash about. It will get better. The deep pain has been subsiding for the past week and now it is more of an annoying ache.
I understand what you mean when you say the pain comes up fast. Mine would start as a twinge and before I knew it, it was full blown pain. It took a while to recognize the symptoms but now I grab the meds at the first sign.
This past few days I have noticed I can go longer between meds. At first they wore off long before the next lot was due but now I sometimes get 5-6 hours between.
Chin up, there are better days closer than you think.:kittykiss:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom