Guest viewing is limited

THR Right THR 12th June. Mobility question

What a lovely photo. Gave me a mental vacation just looking at it. Thank you! ❤️
 
Hi all, thought I'd give a quick update and 'lessons learned' from going on holiday @7weeks post op. So, whilst the 3hrs in the car was ok at the time, I did suffer the following day. Also, check out the property you will be staying in fully. We had rented the house from a neighbour so didn't really do a lot of research and it turned out there was a spiral staircase up to the bedrooms, and the bathroom was downstairs, definitely not ideal. Especially for a 50+ female who needs the loo a couple of times a night! Also, the beds were very, very low. Not quite futon low but certainly not a standard height and I did struggle to get up from them. Luckily, there was a walk in shower, but again I had forgotten to ask beforehand. I don't know whether it was the result of travelling or the low beds and different height sofas but I did suffer from a sharp pain in my thigh that took my breath away at times and brought my husband and friend running to help. It was almost as if my hip was locking in place and I needed help to release it before the pain dissipated. This happened multiple times while we were away but only once, and not to anywhere near the same extent since we have returned home. Anyone else experienced anything similar?
 
Last edited:
I am not surprised by the effect of the three hour car ride. That would have felt like a lot to me early on. Thankfully it’s behind you.
The information you shared about the learning the details of where you’ll be staying is great advice for those traveling shortly after joint replacement. Hopefully the painful sensation you experienced a few times dissipates now that you’re home. If not, you can always check in with your surgeons care team for advice or reassurance. Thanks for the update! I hope you have a nice Thursday and weekend!
@Lumpyloo2
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a nice weekend! :)
@Lumpyloo2
 
@Layla thank-you. Can hardly believe 2 months has passed already. It's gone really fast and really slow all at the same time. I think this has been one of my hardest weeks mentally as I thought I would be walking unaided by now but that is not the case. I have great stamina for walking with my crutch but wobble like a drunk penguin without it. Luckily, I was signed off for 12 weeks which means I still have a couple more weeks for my gait to improve before returning to work.
 
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Many find it helpful. Good luck and thanks for the update. It was good to hear from you.

Here is a visual of heel-toe walking.
[Bonesmart.org] Right THR 12th June. Mobility question
 
10 week update Hey all, hope everyone is doing ok. 10 weeks today since my op and I feel like I am doing well. 2 weeks ago I was a bit scunnered (good Scottish word for 'fed-up') that I wasn't able to walk without a crutch. Whilst this is still the case, I am not scunnered anymore as in the last 2 weeks I have noticed a definite improvement. Whilst I still have to tighten my core to walk 'level' when I ditch the crutch, it doesn't take the same amount of effort as previously. I've had a few twinges around my scar this week but nothing too awful. I've also noticed that I'm sleeping on my non-operated side a lot more but it can still feel a little uncomfortable on my operated side. All in all, it feels like things are continuing to go in the right direction :):)
 
So happy to read this, @Lumpyloo2! I remember the relief when I was finally able to sleep on my side again.

Glad you are no longer scunnered (I've learned a new word!) about the walking. Your are seeing progress and it will continue to improve with time.

Celebrate all achievements -- big and small -- on this journey. :loveshwr:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Sounds like you’re doing really well. You’re on your way! :egypdance:
@Lumpyloo2
 
3 month update Yesterday was 3 months to the date that I had my op and I went swimming again for the first time to celebrate :happydance:It felt so good to be in the water, I did a good few lengths of front-crawl but wasn't quite brave enough to try breast-stroke, don't really know why, other than it's been so long since I swam breast-stroke it just felt a bit weird trying it:shrug:
I have also been back on my e-bike a couple of times, can't swing my leg over the seat yet but I definitely don't need to lean the bike anywhere near as far to pop my leg over the top-tube, this was a great moment :)
My gait remains uneven which is a bit annoying and so I still take a crutch with me on long walks as the effort to walk evenly tires me out, but I am averaging 8000+ steps a day now which I'm sure is helping. I have my first review with my surgeon on Thursday (tomorrow) so will ask him about my gait etc and also ask to be referred for physio. Hopefully exercises to build strength in my right glute and hip will help even out my gait. I'm also planning on returning to pilates at the end of the month which is when the next block of classes start. Wound site is still a bit sensitive and is painful if I knock it. I can now sleep on my operated side but it isn't completely comfortable. Not exactly painful but I do have to position myself 'just right' in order to sleep that way. All in all, it feels like life is gradually getting back to normal. I am lucky to have been signed off work up until my review, and assuming all is well on Thursday, I will begin a phased return to work next week :egypdance:
 
@Lumpyloo2 You are doing really well for only 3 months out.

Do ask your surgeon about the breast stroke. Many surgeons restrict the frog kick used in this stroke. So early out it's good you didn't try it. Slow and steady!
 
@Jaycey thanks for the advice. Yes, will definitely ask my surgeon about breast-stroke kick. I always had more of a scissor kick with breast-stroke anyway, so not even sure I will even be able to do it when/if I do get the ok to try it :)
 
@Lumpyloo2 - Congrats on reaching your 3 month milestone, it sounds like you're doing really well.

I'm in a similar situation as you as I also live on a hillslope and at 2 weeks post op I haven't made it out of the house yet for walks. I will have to walk approx. 100/150 metres downhill to reach a level surface and then obviously back up again afterwards, do you have any advice on how to cope best with this and how long it took you to be comfortable walking on an incline ?
 
Thanks for sharing this photo! Beautiful scene! I loved hearing you were able to polish and trim your toenails. I have had mine painted- no pedicure due to upcoming surgery. Looking forward to being able to do this! Enjoy your vacay and comfortable travels!
 
@Esmeralda thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure I didn't venture outwith the house and garden for the first couple of weeks and then only in the company of my husband and literally for only a few 100 metres. I also used my walking aids to ensure I was nice and stable. I am quite stubborn and determined, but I was also measured with what I tried. Your incline sounds significantly longer than mine and I would just urge you to listen to your body and only do what you are comfortable with, both physically and psychologically. 2 weeks is really early days, forgive me for saying this as I know it will feel like you have been confined for ages. Are you comfortable to travel a short distance to access more level ground direct from the car? (I'm aware there are lots of assumptions in that suggestion, sorry.) This may be preferable for the next while as you build up strength and stamina. Good luck :)
 
Yes, will definitely ask my surgeon about breast-stroke kick.
So surgeon says: physio's will say don't do it but there are no restrictions so maybe do breast stroke arms with crawl kick - clear as mud! To be honest, I much prefer front crawl in a pool but breast-stroke comes in handy when swimming outside in the winter when it is too cold to put your face in the water :swim:

On another note. I asked my surgeon about a physio referral but he said it isn't required. Is that everyone's experience? Essentially this means that other than being shown mobility exercises in hospital immediately after my op I have had no physio input at all :what:
 
I asked my surgeon about a physio referral but he said it isn't required. I
Well we certainly recommend this on BoneSmart. But I really think it is now the trend. New hips don't need any strength building in the early days. At a later date if you feel you need a bit of guidance on gait changes or strengthening areas that may have atrophied pre-op you might benefit from working with an experienced physio.

Meanwhile it sounds like you are already an active person. I would just focused on slowly getting back to the active lifestyle. Slow and steady!
 
Thank you for the helpful advice re incline. I did originally think that if it was going to be a problem for me I would get my husband to wheel me down to the bottom of our road in the wheelchair and then get out and walk along the main road which is level to gradually build up straight line distance. However after my little episode yesterday I'm not so sure about getting back in the wheelchair anytime soon. Also it's quite a busy narrow pavement area, depending on the time of the day with school kids, cyclists (even though there's a cycle lane) and the occasional electric scooter, so I'm thinking maybe a short car journey to a quieter area would be benefical in the early days.

Re physio, my surgeon includes 2 sessions as part of his package but my surgery wasn't done under the NHS as the wait times are horrendous at the moment.
 
Well we certainly recommend this on BoneSmart.
Thanks @Jaycey and it is definitely advice I have followed since my op. I guess I was thinking more about the apparent lack of strength in my right glute. I checked with my surgeon today about returning to pilates at the end of the month and he thought that would be ok. My Pilates class is physio led so I may book a face to face appointment before attending class, not for a suite of exercises, but so we both have an appreciation of what my body can and can't yet do, lol!
 

Staff online

  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom