Guest viewing is limited

TKR right knee *my first* Date of Operation 3rd October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks all for your sweet messages. So today the Physio Doctor came for a home visit to ascertain if I need a physio.
After I have achieved so much alone in a month, I'm loathe to get some novice physio practicing on me, you know what I mean. She the doctor was impressed by my ROM we went for a walk in the garden.Then I tell her about my swollen knee and the tightness and that I have two internal stitches poking out. She starts manhandling my patella and says its a little blocked $%^&*£"$ :headbang: painful.
Then she starts squeezing and scratching at my wound! with he rbare hands. She asks me to take off the small strip plasters, and I must tell you she had not washed her sweaty grubby hands from the car and keys etc. I had to tell her please dont touch the stitch cos I dont want to get an infection. She offered no advice just told me to phone my surgeon. Yeah right!! thats not difficult she thinks. My post-op follow up visit is 2 December
Anyway, as shes leaving she says "can I wash my hands?.so I point her to the sink and soap. Im thinking shouldnt you have done that on the way in? Im not happy having to wish a doctor washes her hands and doesnt touch my stitch wound.

The patella my surgeon put in was a De Puy Oval dome patella 3 peg 35mm whats that? for the experts among us? Josephine
I would rather not have to be prodded and pushed on the patella by a teenage novice physio next week.

Anyway tonight Im having a glass of wine with dinner I certainly deserve it.:cheers2:
 
Gee wiz! That's awful! In UK hospitals now, staff are required to wear a badge similar to this
[Bonesmart.org] right knee *my first* Date of Operation 3rd October 2013

Sounds like she could use one!

Oval dome patella 3 peg 35mm
Here it is! Goes on the back of your knee cap to meet with the metal femoral implant.
[Bonesmart.org] right knee *my first* Date of Operation 3rd October 2013
[Bonesmart.org] right knee *my first* Date of Operation 3rd October 2013


This is likely the cause of your 'stiff knee cap. problem. You need to get the knee cap moving by resting your leg out straight, preferably with something under the heel so the knee is a little hyper-extended. The place fingers either side of the knee cap and just gently move it from side to side. If you can, actually push your fingers under the edge of the knee cap to engage with it and move it around more. The normal movement is not that great so don't be too enthusiastic! You can get an idea of what I mean in this short video but only the bit between 10 and 20 seconds! NOT all the rest! And you will be most unlikely to get that much movement just now!

 
Didn't even wash her hands! Yukk! :eeeuw: Hi Donna - just getting caught up with your journey. It sounds like you have an incredible attitude and are progressing well, despite the visiting doc. I had developed a severe valgus in both legs as well, but the osteotomy was never suggested - I suppose the deterioration of the knees themselves was too advanced at that point to delay. My OS straightened my legs as a part of the knee replacements through his angle of cuts. I am glad to have learned about osteotomies. All wishes for a continued smooth and successful recovery!:friends:
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: DAJ
Daj, just thought I would drop a note and find out how you are doing. I hope all is well and you are progressing and able to do more and more. Take care. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Dear Lee thanks for asking . My therapist is nice and comes to my home she massaged my knee. The assistant who stitched me up did a bad job I have a very uneven scar and lumpy he left internal stiches in and its not a pretty sight like my other scar. My therapist says some of them are bad at sewing.
Anyway wAlking and improving daily.
Love to you Lee and wishes for a good recovery
 
I am glad you are getting some leg massages. My home PT did some on me and that was so wonderful and really helped release some tight spots I was getting and limiting my motion.

I hope you keep improving and your life gets back to normal. You are a wonderful example in how you took charge of your recovery at home alone - I am sure it was very difficult at times but you did it. Pretty awesome in my opinion.

Keep posting to let us know how you are doing. Have a great day. Lee:kittykiss: :flwrysmile:
 
thanks leejaa for the encouragement.Look forward to a 100 percent better day, and my first check up is in Dec 6th.
 
dear NightQuilter thanks for your message which I just saw above. I wish I had been able to have an all in one as you did. Its a long road! hope you are great and doing well. Me, Im soldiering along.
 
It is the best we can do Donna - soldier along - knowing that with each day the healing continues. I just had my 1 year follow-up with my OS and he was just so pleased with my progress - as am I. I hope you are doing well.
 
Make sure you let us know how you are progressing and how your appt goes on Dec. 6. I am sure the OS will be impressed by your and your progress. Have a great day. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Donna, just a quick hello to see how you are. I hope everything is progressing well. Have a wonderful day. Lee:kittykiss: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Donna. I've just caught up with your thread and am sorry to hear all you have been through.

Whereabouts in Italy do you live? My daughter lives in Emilia Romagna, midway between Ferrara and Ravenna. She has had very mixed experiences with the Italian healthcare system. When she was taken into hospital unexpectedly the care she had was brilliant but for other things, and certainly during pregnancy, she found it to be bureaucratic, petty and expensive, with every scan, test, X-ray etc having to be paid for, even when it was compulsory.

For all that we knock it, it has certainly made her appreciate the NHS care we have in the UK.

Continue to go well. Linda x
 
Dear Coppernob Linda thanks for your note. yeah Italy is a challenge, and Petty and expensive yes.Although your daughter lives in a pretty part. What brought her to Italy? Did she marry an Italian? Im in the north Lake Como. I have been here too long trying to sort out a property commitment. I visit UK as often as I can to keep sane. Over Xmas should be in Lincolnshire.My first trip after the op.
It sounds like you have had quite a journey with your knees wow! I could learn a lot from you.
keep in touch D
 
Sarah went out to Italy 10 years ago to teach English as a Foreign Language at a school. She is now self-employed and works in all sorts of places from elementary schools to universities to large businesses, still teaching English but also doing translation and proofreading work. Her partner, Devid, is Italian and was originally one of her students! They have little Sofia (the middle one on my avatar) who will be one on 19 December. They will be with us for Christmas so we'll be having a belated birthday celebration too. I gather birthdays aren't a big thing in Italy so Sofia's having to come here for one of Granny's birthday cakes! Linda x
 
wow Coppernob we must have met. Glad your family are going to be with you there. when you said birthdays arent a big thing in Italy that summed it up. Mines on the 23rd Dec and ill be outta here, and having a cake.
 
Hi Donna. Just wondered how you you are now and how your appointment with your doc went. Hope you're doing ok. Linda x
 
Assistant was quite grumpy. I told him about the stitch still still not disolved. He basically told Me to just leave it another month and then it would. I asked him if he wanted to snip it off. He said no. So im going to have to go back in January. I asked him about the clicking cluncking noises and he said that it was normal and is the noise of the prothesis working and that it will always be there . Pretty much didnt really listen to me and I had to insist that he answered my concerns.
So I left no wiser and will try to call my sPecialist. As i know from my hospital stay he would propably say something different.So I hope I can speak to him by phone.
In the meantime he suggested another month using one crutch. Going to Uk for Christmas. Thanks for asking. Happy holidays!
 
Just wanted to wish you all the best. I travelled to UK for Christmas. I have managed quite well got assistace in the airport and ive done the rest with one crutch.
I do believe I will never travel on a plane normally again its so much easier with wheelchair assistancee !!! Happy 2014 to you knee smarties from me Donna
 
@DAJ ... I have merged your newest thread with your recovery thread, though. As you know, we like to keep each member's story all in one place. Had you just posted a Christmas greeting, it would have needed to be moved to the Social Forum. But....since you gave a wonderful update, I decided just to add it to your thread. Don't worry....folks will see it when they log into New Posts.
 
[Bonesmart.org] right knee *my first* Date of Operation 3rd October 2013
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] right knee *my first* Date of Operation 3rd October 2013
bottomshollow
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom