Guest viewing is limited

TKR right knee *my first* Date of Operation 3rd October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Daj .. I am so sorry this has been so rough for you, I hope it gets easier fast. Keep your chin up and keep sticking up for you..yours should be the loudest voice heard during your recovery. Feel better fast we are all here for you..
 
Hi all.the most important thing ive learned is to not compare your healing to anyone else. "All comparisions are odious!!!:groan: I know that we all feel pain differently, and I really had a hard time that first week in the hospital when they gave me next to nothing for pain. (I nearly lost my mind).
Anyway we are different ages,different states of health/genes, different circumstances,different personalities>This all effects the rate we heal at and recover.
So I dont worry about how others may doing better.My job is to heal myself physically and emotionally at my own pace. This was a big operation forme, and for all of us.
In fact this is now the third operation on my right knee,so I take what others think less seriously than what I know.
Wishing you all a lovely weekend.:thumb:
 
DAJ
I get you I think. I had my right TKR done in Massachusetts in 2004. We moved to Mississippi (big mistake) in 2005 and in that whole year my knee hurt badly. My kneecap area. So I went to an OS here and he informed me that the first OS had not replaced my kneecap and that bone was rubbing on bone. So I would have to have another knee replacement! Same recovery, rehab etc. so a week before surgery was scheduled hurricane Katrina hit and we all lost power for 2 wks. What a mess. Anyway I got my surgery and my knee is great!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Good for you!!!!

While many of us have similar experiences following TKR.......we all have our own individual results, progress, successes, and yes, some set backs. Regardless, TKR pays off in the long run, IMO anyway.
 
Tonight feeling like I have a little fever. There is also an internal blue stitch poking out of my scar (which is looking good). I hope it doesn't fester. It won't budge. What to do?

Knee is feeling ok, not painful
 
Trying to tag Josephine for you but I do not think it is working for me. She has the expertise to answer your question regarding the stitch.

Hope you feel better soon
 
Internal sutures do sometimes show through if the assistant hasn't cut them short enough.

But when you say 'it won't budge' I do hope that doesn't mean you've been fingering it. :no-fin: Do not touch! That's exactly the way to get it infected! You need to get it attended to by the surgeon or his assistant who will trim it with sterile scissors. Until then just cover it with a sterile sticky plaster and leave it alone!
 
OH dear Josephine that means trying to arrange an appointment with Dr nasty who probably stiched me up. (since my surgeon leaves this kind of stuff to his understudy). This was the same doctor who left me without pain medicine on 3rd day and said stop complaining. Unfortunately unless you are rich in Italy and a private patient I cant see my surgeon,after dismission as hes head of department.There are no receptionists to call or district nurses *(as there are in UK) who remove stitches and do followups. Here the junior doctors do all that at the hospital only. grudgingly!
My knee is now tender hot and swollen. Really tired of this nonsense my GP is useless and Im not allowed to change. he only writes scripts.Help:boohoo:
 
I have flu like symptoms, achey bones, temperature, and feeling bad.Im worried about infection and how I can get to see someone tommorrow. i took ibuprofen and paracetamol. It hasnt helped much
 
It's not at all uncommon to be feeling like that at 18 days post up. Are you taking your pain meds properly, keeping on top of the pain?

As for the stitch, just keep it covered for now. Give it another week or two and it should dissolve inside so the top end comes out on its own.

Sounds like the health system in Italy kinda sucks!
 
Yup. Josephine I guess im a little afraid of infection.Up to now ive been fine. The stitch is right at the start above the knee in my thigh muscle.*will it disolve? I wish there was a damn district nurse I could call. Dont even have a thermometer to take my temp. but feel feverish.
Im not taking meds anymore as I felt the pain was minimal. and my liver needed a break.
having said that l took some today because I was feeling flu symptoms..I cant just go to A and E as the hospital is a good half hour drive away from me and someone would have to take me. Yes so much sucks here.
 
Hang in there!

Here's hoping the "socialized health care" movement here in the states does not duplicate what you are facing there! Actually that factored into my consideration of moving ahead with my RTKR.

Best to you!
 
will it dissolve
Yes!
I'm not taking meds anymore as I felt the pain was minimal. and my liver needed a break.
That's just silly. You are only 3 weeks post op and cannot possibly be without pain yet. Are you seriously telling me you don't have any soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness? If you say yes I still shan't believe you! (j/k!! :wink:)

And you never exceeded the prescription you had, did you? So what makes you think your liver 'needed a break'?! It can very happily cope with any drugs so long as you don't exceed the permitted maximums. What about people who have to take them long term, like for years, due to ongoing conditions?
 
i do have some stiffness in the night and slight soreness when I dont move at night,but as of the last few days i really havent been sore,until this stitch which has made it swell a bit. i havent done much today and no gentle PT.just flexing and pointing.
ps I had been talking ibuprofen before the op when i had the plate in which hurt all night.
Im feeling a bit wobbly emotionally tonight which is I guess natural after what ive been through. I just wish I could elimate infection as a possibilty.
 
Daj, warm thoughts going your way. No answers for you from me but I hope things straighten out for tomorrow and you will feel better and do not have to worry about infection. Lee:kittykiss: :flwrysmile:
 
  • Agree
Reactions: DAJ
the most important thing ive learned is to not compare your healing to anyone else.
Excellent point here---while it is so very tempting to do, all it does is get one either worried about the apparent lack of progress or jealous---or even both.

We all recover differently, and I would say that most people recovery slowere than they would like it to, so while we want to rush things, slow is the new normal!
 
Josephine amab Talking of socialized health systems, as a few of you asked. Here is how the Italian system works.
You get healthcare and other contributions deducted from your earnings at source. You carry a digital health-card with your contributions and usage all recorded in the chip. This was introduced as the rich have abused the system for years paying nothing.

Then when you go for a blood-test, x-ray,or specialist visit you queue up and pay a ticket of around 50 to 100 Euro.
You can elect to see a specific specialist as a private patient by paying 160 Euro for the consultation. and then pay for the test etc.whereas non-private you take a number and see the specialist *junior on call.
Your GP is your doctor and he must write a script for every single thing you do: every visit, test and xray must be prescribed by your family doctor. Almost impossible to change your doctor once appointed. Mine is useless.

The same applies in the emergency room you take a number and pay a fee.
The same applies to the pharmacy you pay a portion of the costs for prescribed medicine.(over the counter medicine like aspirin not covered and not sold in supermarkets and is and very expensive).
Dentistry is not covered at all.

If you are unemployed you can get an exemption from the ticket.
 
Daj, how are you feeling. Still feeling like the flu or did you kick it. I hope the knee is feeling better and the stitch staying put. Take care. :kittykiss:
 
feeling better took all the vitamins i could pour down my throat, (many people here have flu) and went back on 1000mg paracetamol and 600mg ibuprofen at night to stop aches and pains. ive strapped that stitch down under a plaster so it has no place to go but in,and hoping it will dissolve. I took it easy on PT just a little bike and stretches.Holding thumbs.:yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom