Guest viewing is limited

TKR right knee *my first* Date of Operation 3rd October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on being home.....be sure to take it slow and easy!!!!
 
I think you are amazing and strong! To have come so far in so short a time and under gulag conditions!!
My TKR was sept 5 and I am still struggling w pain and mood swings. I am driving now and doing more but my stamina is very low!!!
Watch for stamina. Don't overdo. Kiss your kitty. I kiss mine every day.
Maggie
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: DAJ
Two new landmarks on my first three days at home. Climbed up and down steep staircase to have a soak in the bathtub aaaah bliss after 3 weeks of cat baths. Then slept deeply in my bed on my stomach which I have been dreaming about doing since October 3rd when I had my op After weeks of lying flat on my back with 33 staples in my knee, rolling over in bed is great!!!
Would like to hear from other October Fiesties as to how theyare getting along :angel:
 
Hey DAJ, I had my ltkr on September 30. Still struggling with pain at night and have pretty much given up on trying to get a full nights sleep. I have started to just kind of nap throughout the day and night and this is working way better. :)

How is your pain? Are you having a better time now that you are home?

I start outpatient physical therapy this week.
 
crystals5 my pain is much less. The only time i feel it is when i in bed and maintain the same position for too long. In the day I sit down and elevate at the first sign of pain. Hope you get some more sleep :kittykiss: :yay:
 
Daj, you are doing fantastic. It does feel great to be able to lie down in any other position than on ones back. There is no place like home where we can do what and when we want. :flwrysmile:
 
DAJ
You sound so strong and positive minded!! You go, girl!
I think we all have sleep problems. I just wonder how long this goes on? Any thoughts from anyone?
One note: at week 6 I am finally able to sleep on my side for brief periods of time
Best to you!!
Maggie May


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
well I am nearly at week 7 and I still can only sleep on my back......lucky you ! :)
 
I cant sleep like that for long and its a challenge to flip back, The experts all say you should try to keep your leg straight when you sleep. My normal position is the fetal position which has both knees bent.So Im trying to not do that. The bath was the biggest milestone of :yay: all
 
Well, I'm almost a month late but WELCOME to the other side. :flwrysmile: Sorry ticked to hear that you hospital staff didn't sign-up for the Welcome Committee. :gaah: Sounds like your doctors and nursing staff need a TKR or two to adjust their take on it. :yes!:

Talking of Physios mine Wanted to attach leg weights to my ankle so i can do leg lifts. It hurts I said no. Shes going to report me.

:hairpulling: You DO that Missy! :hissy:

I noticed that you were in Italy and decided to read through your thread and gain some culture. :umm: I don't want ANY of the Italian Flair when to comes to surgery... NO DRUGS... WEIGHTS while still in the hospital???? While un-medicated mind you. :gaah: I'm good... Italian fantasy OVER! Tell Fabio and Marcello, I said, "Ciao!" :heehee:

I hope you are feeling much better, now that you are home cuddling with your cat :kittykiss:, sipping black tea and able to sleep on you stomach. :sleep:

Have Kneeeasy day, you deserve it! :egypdance:
 
well I wont be greeting any of your Italian fantasy figures.they can all go to hell... thishospitalstay wasthefinal nail in the coffin for me. I will be leaving as soon as I can.A nation of/liars theives who constantly shout about how they are the HI best at everything. Newsflash:Theyre not
 
Had a really bad night with pain,.and this morning feeling really desperate at the stupid bureaucracy that living in this country demands everyday.paying bills and even simple tasks are all a nightmare. plus Wearing the elastic stockings for 2 months I find uncomfortable and injecting blood thinner for 4 weeks into my stomach is also getting me down. how long does this go on forfor those of you in the states?
 
Sorry Ma. :console2: However, thank you for waking me up with laughter. :rofsign: Gone are my delusions of grandeur. :cheers2: What part of Italy are you in? I was thinking Tuscany for my Italian version of "Fantasy Island." I don't know if you've seen that show from the 70's or 80's starring Ricardo Monteban (I think he's Italian. Lol) but there's a part where the guest arrive and in every episode this guy shouts, "THE PLANE THE PLANE." That's no doubt what you are shouting right now, only for a much different reason. :gaah:

I had to wear my seductive thigh-highs for 4 weeks and inject my belly for 2 weeks... Not cool. I also had to wear a knee Immobilizers at night for 2 weeks, which guarantees the dreaded back sleep. :mcoffee: I still sleep on my back at 4 weeks. I can manage to hook up a pillow and pull off a side sleep number, but it always leads to painful morning this early out. :groan:

Speaking of pain... What are you taking for pain? Did your OS give your prescription for when you leave the dreaded hospital at least. :hissy: Crackhead! If he didn't, he's obviously on drugs! :rotfl: my experience is nothing like yours but I am out of meds, waiting on approval for my last prescription of Hydrocodone, that is owed to me. With my OS, I get 2 refills of Oxy and 2 refills of Hydro. I's been over 2 weeks since my last refill, even if I was taking the lowest dosage I'd be out by now! It really sucks that they are stingy with prescriptions. This is undoubtedly the HARDEST THING I've ever done in my life so far, (and my life ain't been easy :no-fin: ) and to have to fight to get the proper medication is just CRUEL. Tell me I need to ration out my meds BEFORE you give them to me. NO, tell me BEFORE I have my knee SLICED OPEN, so I can make my way over to my local Meth Lab and get some drugs to help me cope during the recovery period. :rotfl: :loll: :cheers2: Okay, done with my rant. :whistle:

Try and get plenty of rest, ice and elevation are your new Best Friends (hopefully NOT forever.) :friends:
 
Hi DAJ
Sorry to hear you are having problems. I had my surgery on Sept. 30th and I have to have the shots for 3 weeks. Tuesday is my last day :yay: .
Sleep is a big issue for me but I have given in to it and tried to stop sleeping :tada: Actually it worked. After 2 days of sleeping an hour at a time through the day and night I finally got 3 hours of sleep. Even though I woke up in pain it felt really good.
As far as the stockings the os told me I didn't have to wear them as I was getting sores around my ankle from them but I put them on yesterday as my knee has swollen up to balloon proportions.
Pain meds have also been an issue for me. I don't know why they are so stingy with them. I am hoarding my oxy for pt and I see my primary doc Wednesday so I hope he gives me more pain relief but that is doubtful. Also, after my last shot of blood thinner I can begin to take aleve which hopefully will help.
Anyway, hang in there. I hope it gets better for you. :flwrysmile:
 
Dear Bionic woman2. it doesnt matterwhatpartofitalyyou are from*imfrom the wealthy north nearlakecomo/milan you get the same crumbling state **** and lackof decision making.Theduty doctors/nurses would just smile atyou and then disappear and pass it on to someone else to deal with (usually someone junior who had no authority to dispense drugs).They lie to your face, say yes, smile and then do the exact opposite to what they just told you. Hours later you discover nothings is going to happen.That you cant fight, or reason with them.
in the south its even worse including Tuscany.
Italy is for the rich retired now. theres no work,and its hugely expensive. and crushed under stupid beaurocracy
 
Wow, I hope you're able to get back home as soon as possible. Recovering from knee replacement surgery is hard enough, living in a place that you really don't care for can only make it worse. :console2:
 
I complain about America sometimes, but you got me singing, "My country Tis of Thee..." Lol
 
Hi Daj

Just dropping by to say hello.

Sorry you are having a 'down day'. Sounds like you have a tough time in Hosp., but your home now and I bet your cat was please to see you.:kittykiss: We have a little black and white 'rescue' cat and she was SO unsettled when I went into Hosp. - she didn't understand why I had disappeared - so she followed my husband up stairs each night slept on my side of our bed with him - so cute ! He cheeckly said he was glad of the company and she was better than me as she didn't move about, steal the duvet or SNORE !!

Here in the UK I have to wear the white stockings for a least 6 weeks after surgery-my legs will feel quite cold when I do take them off. The blood thinning injections don't sound much fun- I haven't been given those, so I may vary from Country to Country.

Hope you continue to improve and feel brighter.

Kind regards
 
hi all....interesting isn't it..my surgeon does not like you wearing those stockings....when I first got into hospital the nurse ripped open the packet and said put these on before your op and then she said oh no wait he doesn't want you wearing them ! she gave them to me anyway and said they will come in handy if I want to fly or use them down the track. My knee did swell up quite alot around 4/5 weeks but my physio cut a small section of compression bandage for me to use..I guess I could have used my groovy white stockings ! Also thank goodness I didn't have to give my self those injections ...I take my hat off to all of you that are doing it at home..you are my heroes! They gave me the needle everyday in hospital but when it came time to go home I got a prescription for tablets..phew !!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom