Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Marian, I really applaud your success in terms of going back to work! 10 hour days are challenging and exhausting, but you made it through! No wonder you are exhausted. Hopefully you can get some good rest tomorrow. Glad to see that you are eating better as that will help your strength and stamina. Very well done! :wowspring:
 
It sounds as if your 10-hour day was a real marathon, Marian, but you got through it. Working 4 days in a row must have been hard. If you can possibly manage it, working on alternate days sounds like a better solution.
Rest well now, and I hope your appetite continues to improve steadily. :friends: :loveshwr:
 
I'm so glad you're able to eat better now. After my tkr, I existed on Premier Protein drinks and deluxe mixed nuts. At least you're getting some salads.

I can't imagine working as you have on your first week back. Next week will be better with days off in between work days.
 
you did great, marian, working those hours and on your own the last day for 10 hours. that's a lot to expect from anyone, let alone someone recovering from surgery and infection on top. things will keep getting better.:flwrysmile:
 
Great job, Marian. Pamper yourself as much as you can until you have to go back.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad to hear you survived the return to work and can relax for a bit.
 
I'm totally wiped out today. Both knees are stiff and a bit achy. My right one ('good one') is complaining about doing double duty. I should ice them but I'm cold since it's gone down into the 40s F at night. My house is only 62F and I refuse to turn on my heat so soon. If I'm still achy later I'll have to grab some ice and give it a try. Going back to work has been difficult, but it has also been good for my mind. I was getting very depressed since I was spending so much time alone. I missed my co-workers and patients. Everyone has been very nice to me.
 
I'm glad going back to work has lifted your spirits somewhat. I found getting back in a routine was helpful to me as well. I understand the stiffness and aching. Thankfully I haven't had to do a 10 hour day yet. I'm sorry you have to but being a nurse myself I understand that schedule and hours.

As far as your heat, think about getting an infrared heater. You can get them at Walmart for around $60. They are very high efficiency and won't cost near what your central heat would be. Because they are portable you could move it from room to room. This is just a room heater unless you get a really big one. Another option would be a heated throw to sit with or sleep with or use a heating pad. If I am cold I can't get comfortable or rest well and you need your rest for sure. If I can help with knowledge about a heater let me know. I can pick my DH brain. I am so cold natured, in the winter I have one that I can keep where I am and not burn him out of the house! Get rest and get that protein in! Hugs


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had a small heater I lent to a friend two years ago. I guess she thought I gave it to her. It was small but perfect for my family room. I do have a gas fireplace I've turned on a few times to take the chill out of the air on rainy days. It seems my whole body is sore from all the new activity. I think my left hip is actually hurting and it's not muscular at all. I found myself standing with all my weight on my left foot and off of my right foot. That's probably why it's sore. My back is also bothering me again a bit. If it gets worse I'll schedule some visits with a chiropractor. It definitely helped me last time when I first went back to work. The side effects of getting older are definitely not for the faint of heart!:heehee:
 
Marian, bless your heart! I am amazed by what you are doing! I completely understand about not wanting to turn on heat, as I also try to wait as long as possible. Similar to Becky I tend to be on the cold side, so I use sweatshirts and lots of fleece blankets! I like the fleece blankets when icing as they don't add a bunch of extra weight. You are a very strong woman, and I would imagine that your strength and stamina will start to return more quickly, although with your schedule, feeling wiped out on days off will be par for the course for awhile.
 
@newlybionic, I would love to blame everything on my new knees but I imagine some of it is just getting a little older. It hurts my pride to admit that! I want to continue on the same no matter how old I get but my body thinks otherwise...:umm:I hope you get warm and rest well!:roseshwr:
 
I used an electric throw throughout my winter recovery and still use it now. Ice on my knee and heated throw over top of that! It's a great investment and works fast!
 
I had another long 10 hour day today. Both knees are stiff again. I don't feel as shaky as I did in the beginning. I only just started walking without my cane. My back is now achy too. This happened after my first knee was revised in 2016. If it doesn't feel any better I'll go back to the chiropractor. I'm home with both knees elevated. My right knee stings occasionally and I start to get worried the infection is back, but there is no signs of one. I have no temp, redness or heat present. It's just enough to mess with my head. I'm still on oral antibiotics for another 2 months.
 
You're managing very well, Marian, and your work hours are a real challenge. I'm not surprised your knees are complaining. You're keeping a close eye on your right knee and it sounds as if all is well so far.

It's a good idea to see your chiropractor about your back.
Hugs!
 
That's a worry I lived with for a long time. Because my knee first began seeping through the night, I often woke up and thought my leg felt wet. I'd have to feel my incision to insure everything was ok. But the antibiotics did their thing, so I'm sure you'll be fine also.
 
It sounds like it's getting better since you're not as shaky. I bet each day will get a little bit better. I'm sure I'd be the same way and would have the infection in the back of my mind frequently. I'm sure that will get better, too!
 
I went back to work a week ago today and have been there 6 of 8 days. Not much of a phased return to work. I'm off tomorrow and other than a psychologist visit and quick grocery run I'm spending the day just relaxing. My appetite at work is much better than when I'm home. I guess the extra activity is driving my hunger. Nothing tastes that good to me still, but I am eating. I'm going to look for protein shakes or bars at the store. That will help when I'm not feeling hungry but know I need to eat something. Thanks for all the suggestions.

My back is better but my knees are still stiff most of the time. They are elevated as I type. Last night they ached enough that made it hard to sleep. 4:45am came much too quickly today and I'm hoping I'll get to sleep early today to try to make up for the lost sleep. Hopefully my dogs will cooperate with me!
 
Wow, you've made through a whole week with those unreal hours! I pray you can sleep like a log tonight and wake up painfree and refreshed!
 
I hope each week gets easier for you. Here is to a good solid night sleep.
:sleep:
 
you are such an inspiration to us all :flwrysmile:, especially me the old moaner, whom cry because he thigh hurt,:old:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom