Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

I'm getting stronger everyday but my knee is not keeping up with the rest of me. I wish its ROM would grow but it doesn't seem to be moving at all. It's always stiff and achy even when sitting down. It's very annoying to say the least. I see my OS in November and I think I'll ask again about surgery to just remove the scar tissue. I know if he goes in there he wants to change out the whole appliance to make sure the infection doesn't come back. At this point I just can't bring myself to go through that all again. I had a revision of my first knee after only 8 months and I'm not ready for a 4th replacement in only 2 years. That plus the infection surgery and the week long hospital stay has taken every thing out of me. I'm still working hard at gaining overall strength. I've started to eat better especially at work. I can't even think of starting over but I'm not happy with the condition of my knee.
 
Marian, I am glad that you are getting stronger and eating better. It is good to see improvement after all you've been through. I can't advise you about your knee, but I hope your os has some good advice for you.
 
Marian, with the long hours you have to work I'm not surprised your knee is stiff and not moving much. It took a long time for my ROM to improve and an even longer time for the pain to lessen. I think waiting for a revision is a good decision. You're just gaining strength back and getting back to a bit of normalcy.
 
Marian, you're doing so much right now. Going back to work has to be taking a lot of your energy. Work is also stressing your knee. Things will likely slow down a little, work wise, as you settle back into the job's routines. Maybe then your knee will settle down a bit more. You may be on a slower healing track because of the job and the fact your knee got a less than optimal start. One thing about this surgery: recovery is a long game. It takes long even when everything goes perfectly.

I agree that putting off revision is a good idea. You've got enough on your plate with your job and getting your body back to normal. Another surgery right now just subjects you -- your body, your digestive tract, your knee, your job and your life -- to more stress. Now's a good time to dial down the stress and establish more normalcy.

You amaze me. Take good care of you. :thumb:
 
Add to what the others said my prayers. I bet as time goes on, your knee ROM will improve. Right now, you are really stressing over it. Try to forget about it and just do your job and the things at home that have to be done. In a few months I bet you're gonna see a huge improvement!
 
I am truly impressed with you, Marian! You went from barely able to get around to 10 hour shifts on your feet in no time! I agree with others that that is why you may be experiencing the swelling and ROM issues. The good news is that you have noticed improvement in strength, stamina, appetite, energy, and overall you sound as if you are doing so much better mentally and emotionally! :SUNsmile: I couldn't imagine having 4 of these surgeries and recoveries in 2 years! Perhaps it might be better to wait and see if things settle down and improve with time, but of course that is something only you can decide. But kudos to you for the progress! I have been quite worried about you, and you are doing just amazing! :flwrysmile:
 
Another week down! My knee continues to ache and it's inability to bend past 90 degrees is causing some problems. I have to be careful about where I sit so I can get back up. I'm very careful about that. At work the bathroom has a very low toilet that I can't use properly. I wouldn't be able to get up from it even if I could get down low enough to sit. There is nothing I can use to grab onto for help. I haven't talked to anyone there because it's embarrassing for me. If I absolutely need to I can use the patient facility which is handicap accessible with grab rails and higher toilet. The only problem is it's often a mess due to some incontinent patients and basically some slobs who never clean up after themselves.

I live with the constant fear of falling. I know I would probably hurt my knee and wouldn't be able to get up unless I'm picked up. I joked with my co-workers about using a special lift to pick me up off the floor if I fall but that's exactly what would have to be done. I go back to the OS in November. I plan on asking him if there's anyway arthroscopic surgery could help my knee. I can't possibly entertain the idea of an open surgery and full revision that he wants to do. I'm not yet back to full strength and am still on antibiotics. The thought of the pain and amount of downtime to recover from that surgery is overwhelming to me. I've had three open knee surgeries in a little more than two years and each one just took so much more out of me. It seems like each surgery is tougher than the previous one.

I'm also worried about the infection possibly reoccurring or getting a new one with another surgery. It's something that never was a main worry going into surgery. The idea of having more antibiotics, additional surgeries and time missed at work is too much. It's driving me a little nuts thinking about all of this almost all the time. Each step I take reminds me of my knee due to the pain and weakness. There's never a time I forget about my knees. My left one is also stiff due to the fact it often swells and is doing most of the work. I hope at some point they calm down and I can forget I have fake knees!
 
((((((((((Marian)))))))))) :console2:

I do hope your knees soon start to make life easier for you.
You've been very unfortunate and it's high time something went well for you.

I think you should speak to your boss about the toilet, as well. Using a bathroom that might compromise your health is not acceptable. You're being required to work in unsafe conditions. That can be fixed, if you boss will supply one of these:


How is your daughter keeping? It can't be long now until the baby's arrival.
 
Hope this week goes better for you. I'm afraid the fear is always there for me and one of the reasons I'm holding off on the left knee.
 
My daughter is doing well. She is due the second week of November. This is my first grandchild (a girl). I'm supposed to babysit one day a week for her but I'm not sure how I'll do that since it's two flights of stairs into her house plus there is also a flight within the condo itself. It will be difficult for me especially driving the 90 minute trip first then watching the baby and two large dogs. I can't wait to meet this new little person.

Celle, I don't think that will help me much as I can't bend one of my knees far enough to sit. There's absolutely no way I can pick myself up. I still have extender seats on my home toilets that I use. It's very difficult being limited to 90 degrees of bend.
 
Marion, I'm thinking of you as you are back to work. I too had that awful feeling about what I would do going anywhere when I needed a restroom. People don't understand. Let me tell you, I have had plenty of wet pants from trying to 'hover' over the pot! I'd try to lean forward, hold my drawers and lean on one side of the wall and go. Not fun. I guess, were it me, I'd go to a handicap one no matter the mess. You can't risk falling!
I have just been starting to get some more stamina back myself. I had my tkr and then the fix on the incision 2 1/2 months apart. Even though I could get around ok, I felt pretty much like 2 cents. I was exhausted after work and a few times found myself asleep in the recliner before I made it to bed. Now that it's over 6 months since my 2nd surgery I can even get through a whole 5 day week at my part time job! It has taken a lot out of you, and with everything that happened to you, like me, we tend to obsess about what has happened and what 'may' yet happen. I get it.
Take it one day at a time as hard as it is, but then you aren't as overwhelmed. Little by little I'm praying you will see improvement. You have a precious little grand-daughter on the way and by then, you may be in a much better place. Sending you my best.....
 
I hope this week goes better with less pain and stiffness. I know when I was stuck at 90 degrees for many weeks it's was difficult to use the toilet. I always had to throw that leg out not really straight but I didn't really put weight on it just on the leg with the knee that bent. My bathrooms in my house have the newer higher toilets but when out and having to use a short one I actually had to put my hands on the toilet to lower and raise myself. Nothing I would want to do but sometimes necessity won. Being a nurse you know all about good hand washing technique.

Having a new granddaughter myself I know how exciting this time is. I'm sorry you will have so far to drive. Hopefully that new little life will be just the spark you need to help you feel renewed and not worn out. Try to not over do it!:friends:
 
Marion could you get a suction rail for the staff toilet that could be easily removed once you're ok?
Something like this, could get two?

[Bonesmart.org] Right knee has been replaced



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app
 
I really needed to use the facilities where I worked today. The patient bathroom was a mess. I carefully was able to get down to sit and had to extend my one leg. I put my right hand onto the sink and was able to hoist myself up! Thank goodness or I would still be sitting there!:heehee:

Lately I have been getting a lot of cramps in my right calf. I increased how much fluids I've been drinking but I think it's just that my muscles get tired at the end of the day. Even after the cramp is gone there is still some residual pain for hours later. I take it that I've been building new muscle mass and it's been fairly quickly that I have added activities to my day.

@zakmick The item you showed above won't work in that bathroom. There is old wallpaper on the wall and no where close to the toilet to be able to use it. I thought about something like that or something more permanent but the layout won't work.

I found out that one nurse is leaving. Her job entails some time each week with office work and not on the floor. My co-workers have told my boss I'd be a good candidate for the job. I want it very badly but I have to apply and also interview for the job to be mine. It would be the perfect position for me so that I could get off my feet for at least some of my hours. I told my boss I'm definitely interested and he said he would sit with me and go over the job. I asked him to check my resume since I've done supervisory work before and was a teacher and business trainer before I became a nurse. That would be a help in this position. I have my fingers crossed.:fingersx:
 
This would definitely be good for you moving forward, especially with those long hours you work.
 
Best wishes for that job application, Marian. I do hope you get it and it sounds as if you are well-qualified. :fingersx:

Just a little warning for everyone from Josephine, about using those suction handles:

Shower handles.
Suction cup grab bar
OTOH, I found them unreliable and wouldn’t trust them. They were okay for a day or two and then came off in my hand! There is a warning on the box. Also see people's comments on Amazon. You’re really best getting the kind you fix with screws.
 
Marian, you did it!!! Isn't it quite the thought process you go through when sitting finally on the pot. Whew, and then the uh-oh, now how in the heck will I get up? Hurrah for you figuring it out! One little miracle at a time.
Then, when things were seeming tough, a new opportunity to possibly get you off your feet a bit and do some paperwork/office things. I'd say, prayers are working and the good Lord has his eyes on you. Hurrah again!
One day at a time, this was quite the day of some little victories - odd that it may be in conquering going to the restroom! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
 
I saw my infectious disease doctor today. I'm to continue my antibiotics through the end of October. After that, I stop them and wait to see if the infection comes back. I feel like I could have a time bomb in my knee, but I'm praying that all will be clear. To think about the alternative of more surgery, a PICC line again for antibiotics, and all the time needed until I'm cleared to finally get my real knee back in has me going crazy. To think about the pain involved is overwhelming to me. I need prayers, positive thoughts and any other help available so that this infection is gone. :prayer::praying:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom