Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

What a great report. It's always nice to be able to just do normal activities. We take those little things for granted until we're not able to do them, and when we're able to do them again it makes us feel like we're finally getting better.
 
It sounds like you are doing so much better after such a tough journey. Hope it just keeps getting smoother for you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had a few 'down' days. I cried at PT twice on Monday. My flexion is only about 95 and not getting better. My OS feels I will need a revision to get full functionality of my knee. I have to be back to work two weeks from today and I am still using a cane when I'm out. I can't use it while at work and I'm going to be on my feet a lot. I'm worried I won't be able to physically be able to function in my job. I pray for strength daily and have been trying to walk more at home. To say I'm frustrated is to put it mildly. If I need a revision I'd rather get it done sooner than later but I'm still on antibiotics for a while yet ( total of 4.5 months). Should be done in early November. I go back to the OS in November also. My first grandchild is due then too. I want to be able to enjoy her but I know with my knee the way it is... My OS did a revision of my other knee and after the first few weeks I did great. Hopefully when I can have this done I'll be fine. I think because of work I need to wait until the new year.

This Saturday is the baby shower. I'm able to drive much better now so that shouldn't be a problem. I haven't seen that daughter in months so it will be good to hug her again. I'll also see my aunt who I don't have much of a chance to see. This is a time I really miss my mom. She would have been so excited. My daughter plans on using my mom's name as the baby's middle name. She told her that long before she was even pregnant she was going to do that. Mom was thrilled. So it should be a nice day. It will take me about 90 minutes to get there so I know I'll be stiff. I plan on finding a place to just park and enjoy my family.

I went to my regular MD office for a quick checkup. I no longer need the blood pressure med I had only started a month ago. My pressure was too low taking it and has been fine without it. I guess that's the last medical problem that arose in my recovery that has reversed itself. If my knee wasn't so stiff and painful I'd be healthy again. I'm praying a miracle happens and my knee starts getting increased ROM, but I'll do what I need to do to get back to having functioning knees. I've lost another three pounds. I'm not trying to lose but they think the antibiotics are contributing to me not wanting to eat at all. I'm almost down 35 lbs since April. I need to lose weight but this is crazy. I don't enjoy eating anything and have to force myself to eat at all. I've taken to trying to just graze during the day.

Hopefully everyone else is having a good day. Never give up and things will and can get better.
 
Marian, my ROM got better when I was released from PT at 105, so I'm hoping it's the same for you. I did lose about 30lbs with the TKR and infection, unfortunately it came right back.

I'm not sure what you should do about the cane. I did go back to teaching with a cane, otherwise I would've been limping in an hour or so.
 
You're making progress, Marian. Although your knee is being a slowcoach, it sounds as if your body is getting better.
Enjoy the baby shower and seeing your family.
:loveshwr: :friends:
 
marian, i'm sure once you stop the antibiotics and other medications, you will get your appetite back. i lost 12 lbs. very quickly due to nausea from the narcotics, but once stopped, i got my appetite back again and slowly gaining. grazing is the best idea for now. our original surgeries were around the same time and my flexion is the same as yours at 95 degrees, seemingly stuck for now. perhaps it's the swelling holding us back from gaining flexion. is the range of motion the reason your surgeon thinks you may need a revision or is there something else involved in his suggestion? i realize you have been through more than most with that infection and further procedures so it's understandable that you may be at a plateau (which i hope is temporary). good luck with that long drive and enjoy the baby shower and seeing your family. that should boost your spirits.:SUNsmile:
 
@liam2015 My OS feels there is a lot of scar tissue present in my knee holding back my progress. Since I had two surgeries and infection within a month that caused it to develop. He feels removing the scar tissue is what I'll probably need but once in my knee he would change out the current one to remove any possibilities of the infection re-occurring. Without the infection just the scar tissue would need to be removed but by an open surgery, not arthroscopically as I had hoped would have fixed my problem. I have very little swelling at all at this point.
 
thank you for explaining that...makes sense. it's all so complicated and mysterious though, this surgery and recovery! hopefully you can wait until the new year for this additional procedure so you can restore your strength.:console2:
 
I made it to the baby shower today for my oldest daughter. It was 1:45 minutes each way that I drove on my own. I was gone for almost 8 hours and I'm fairly exhausted now. It went well and she received many nice presents. I was surprised my knee held up to all the driving and I wasn't worse off after the long drive. I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight.

This is my last full week off before having to go back to work. I hope to take care of a few chores this week that I won't be able to do once I'm back at work. I'll have to dig out my scrubs and get them ready to wear. I'm sure some of them will be too big but hopefully there will be some that still fit. We have to wear ones with the company name of them and if I need more I have to buy them. I hope I do ok at work. I'm very anxious about it. It will be hard going from doing practically nothing to working 10 hour days on my feet. Time will tell.
 
I'm glad your day at the baby shower went well, Marian. That bodes well for more activity soon.

I hope the scrubs still fit - for now it's just too bad if they hang loosely, as long as you're decently covered. I think it will do other staff members a bit of good to see how much weight you have lost because of your illness.
 
Love baby showers and I'm glad it went well! I'm sure your daughters were happy to see you. Try to find a balance this week because next week you'll be exhausted. Maybe you can make a few dishes and freeze them so you'll have meals you won't have to prepare after a 10 hour day.
 
Glad to hear that you made it to and were able to enjoy the baby shower. I would imagine that the change of scenery was nice as well. I wish you the best in returning to work. Hopefully those techs can help alot so you can get some time to put your leg up during shift. I was anxious about returning to work as well, and although Bionic Spence really rebelled during the 1st week, he has been adjusting to his new life at work. :)
 
Marion, I'm just getting caught up on you. I'm glad the shower went well and it wasn't too exhsusting for you. I hate to hear he is talking revision. Do you think you should get another opinion? Of course this doc is probably the one that fixed it before. Would this be a spacer exchange? Would a MUA release the scar tissue? I'm so sorry for all the questions, I just hate for you to have to go through all that again if there is another way.

This is my last week off as well. I start back after Labor Day. I'm not ready either!:groan:
 
Marian, I think Karri's suggestion of getting a few meals tucked away in the freezer is a good idea. You won't feel like cooking that first week back at work, but you will need to get something warm and filling into your tummy to get your energy restored.

How did you feel today? You did well with the baby shower, did you notice you'd recovered or were you still wiped out from yesterday? I'm hoping you felt better after a night's rest.

Despite your frustrations and concerns, you are making steady progress.
 
I spent Sunday morning feeling tired from being out all day on Saturday. I felt better than I thought I would. While I felt a bit stiff after the drive I wasn't much worse for it. Today I have to get my house a bit more organized and search out my work scrubs to get them ready for work. I'm still worried about my stamina but I think I really can do more than I think I can.

I'm not continuing with PT this week. I don't feel I was getting much out of it and I'd probably do better walking more and doing the things around the house I've put off. After I start work I wouldn't have time for PT anyway. My ROM is not very good. I can flex to about 95 and am still off from straightening my leg. My knee just won't go any further due to excessive scar tissue. A MUA is not something that will help me at all. He doesn't feel it would be successful. If I go through with the revision he would change out everything and give me a new knee that would match the one in my other leg. Nothing can be done right now while I'm still on antibiotics from the infection. If it doesn't get better ROM at all I probably will go through with it but will have to wait to 2018 because of work. I trust this OS completely. He fixed my other knee and it flexes to almost 130degrees and is straight and pain free.
 
((hugs)) - I hope you have a restful week. I know you have to do some things to get ready for work next week and I hope you also get plenty of rest. The first days will be hard so rest the leg as you can and as others have said try to have meals ready to go so that you can just ice and elevate when you get home. Hopefully as each week goes by your stamina will increase.
 
I'm glad you were able to attend the shower and you even drove yourself. Now for the work week preparations. I agree with what others mentioned about having some meals ready to go for when you return home. You're not going to want to prepare anything. You know better than anyone whether the week of PT would do anything for you. Best to use that time getting ready for next week.
 
I have been following your journey. I see a strong and determined woman, and admire your fortitude. You have been through a lot and continue to persevere. And you continue to make progress despite the bumps. Best wishes for returning to work and enjoy your impending grandmotherhood!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom