Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Hoping your nausea is retreating now, Marian. When does the PICC line come out? Even if you have to wait one more day before showering, that shower is going to feel so good!
 
PICC is out! Shower tomorrow after early morning PT visit. I'm somewhat worried tonight as my knee is really hurting and swelling since I stepped off a step with the wrong leg. That was Sunday and because of that my knee has been so very stiff. I've iced and elevated most of the time. I've used tramadol and Tylenol at night so I can sleep. I sent a message to my OS tonight about how it's feeling and I'll see what he says tomorrow when he or his PA return the message. Never a dull moment around here. Can't I just have a straightforward recovery?
 
I bet you really stressed your knee when you over bent it. Sunday was just two days ago. I hope you'll start to get some relief really quickly and that tomorrow morning you'll see improvement.
 
Those weird steps or twists can be scary, but I'm sure it'll settle down. Yay for a good shower tomorrow! How did the doxycycline go today?
 
So glad you got your PICC line out! Hope from now on you have a smooth recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The new medication has really been helping my nausea. The PT assistant was here this morning. I haven't seen her since my infection surgery. I couldn't even remember seeing her before that. She actually told me that I had fallen and I didn't even remember that at all. I must have really been out of it.

I just finished some breakfast. Next activity for today is a nice long shower. :bath: I'm sure that I will be feeling much better afterwards and almost feel like a 'human' again.

I talked to my OS office today and they suggested, surprise, ice and elevation to help with the swelling. The nurse asked me if I thought the infection was coming back. My answer was an emphatic 'NO'.

So I :old: will slowly make it up the stairs and have a shower and maybe a nap. :sleeep:
 
Enjoy all the hot water! I am so glad that the nausea is under control. What an uplifting post!
 
Sounds like a good report Marian and I'm sure you had a heavenly shower!! Glad you're not nauseous
 
Marian, I had a high fever with my infection and the few days of that fever are fuzzy. I was so out of it I couldn't answer the phone, so I'm not surprised that you may have fallen. You did mention on your thread that you had an incident on the step from the kitchen.

Hope the shower was a success and you're clean and napping! :bath:
 
I am so glad to hear that you are doing better,. I'm sure the shower was wonderful and I hope you got lots of rest after. Great news that the nausea seems to be better. I hope that it will be completely behind you soon.
 
I had a very long shower yesterday and immediately after I had to lie down in my bed for about 30 minutes. I didn't fall asleep at all but I got a bit of a rest before venturing back down to the first floor of my house.

I received a phone call from my PCP office. They called to let me know that the blood work showed that my Hgb was getting better but I do have a vitamin D deficiency. I looked up symptoms of low levels of D and I finally could figure out why I still had a mix of what I thought were unrelated symptoms. Symptoms include sweating, muscle and bone pain and increased depression. The PA sent a Rx to my regular pharmacy. My only problem now is I have to go get it. It's a 40 mile round trip by car. I'm going to have to go there today. Fortunately it's in a supermarket so I can use one of their carts to get around if I need too.

The nausea is almost gone completely. What a difference that makes. I even slept for my longest stretch last night of 8 hours. :sleeep: I wouldn't have minded if I slept longer but I'll take the 8 hours for now. Even my dogs slept in. Lately they have been deciding that 6 am is the time to get up. When I go back to work I've got to be there before 6 so I guess they are trying to get me ready! :heehee:

I still worry about any twinge of pain in my knee being a sign of the infection coming back. I have no symtoms of infection present, but it's very hard knowing it could still could reappear at any moment. I guess I just have to go on with my life and just stay positive that it has been eradicated since it was caught very early and the OS did an I&D and spacer exchange very quickly. The antibiotic beads that he placed in the wound also increases the odds that the infection is gone. If my ID doctor would only stop saying that MRSA is sneaky, I'd feel more positive. I know she has to make sure I understand it's a possibility but sometimes I want to just forget!!
 
I'll be honest, Marian. Prayer was the only way I was able to overcome the dreadful fear of a returning infection. Every time I began to think about it, I prayed and still pray about it everyday.
 
so glad to hear you have the nausea under control. what do you attribute that to? that's wonderful you slept for an 8 hour stretch ~ i'm sure a lot of healing got done then! sorry you have to go so far to pick up your prescription; hope someone is driving you. continue feeling better.:console2:
 
I'm glad you enjoyed your shower, Marian, and that the nausea has decreased.

what a shame you have that long drive to get your VitaminD. Would it wait a day or two, until someone could go for you? I'm glad your HB has improved. :friends:
 
I picked up my Vitamin D prescription. I also bought some groceries while I was there. By the time I made it home I was totally exhausted. My friend put away the groceries for me. Im supposed to take one capsule a week for 4 weeks. I took the first one yesterday. Let's hope it helps the symptoms I have been having.

I still am having days where I just feel 'sick'. I get a headache and feel nausea on and off every day. I find it difficult to even keep up with the forum here. I hope i start to feel better soon. I want to get out of the house more often than I do. At times like this I wish I had some nice patio furniture. All I have is one cheap plastic chair on my porch. I can only manage to sit there for a half an hour at most before I have to get up. I don't do any walking outside because my driveway is uneven gravel and the street is compacted dirt with numerous potholes. The last thing I want to do is fall. I walk around my house and constantly walk back and forth to the kitchen.
 
@newlybionic do you experience the bad feelings about 3 hours after taking your antibiotic? Your body is going thru so much right now, it will get better.
 
Most of the time the nausea will happen about an hour or so after I take the antibiotic. I've tried taking it with a couple of crackers but it doesn't necessarily help very much.

I'm concerned that I can't seem to make much progress with flexing my knee. There is pain across the knee when I try to bend it but what bothers me more is the pain behind the knee. I'm not sure what is causing the problem. I was wondering if it's ligaments or tendons that could have been damaged by the second surgery. I'd be too afraid to walk back into a hospital to have a MUA. After my last hospital admission, where everything went wrong with my body, I'm frightened to walk into another hospital. I've got less than two weeks before I see my OS and I haven't made any progress. I'm very worried about my lack of progress.
 
I don't do any walking outside because my driveway is uneven gravel and the street is compacted dirt with numerous potholes. The last thing I want to do is fall. I walk around my house and constantly walk back and forth to the kitchen.
I think it's smart to stay off of anything with holes. I can vouch for that! At least walking around in the house counts. And you did get out some. You are bound to be exhausted after what all you've been through.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom