Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision

I love coming here!!!! I honestly always feel better!!!! I think I'm feelin a tad useless and the house is getting cruddy!!!!! I wanba just do my regular stuff. .but then I come here and feel a bit more patient. So glad I found this!!!! What a God send!!!!
I couldn't agree with you more! Being alone during this recovery can be terribly depressing. During those long, sleepless nights I came here and talked with my friends from all over the world. We would cry together, laugh together, rejoice together and pray together. With God and Bonesmart we are never alone!
 
Its a blessing to hear from you all. Today feels good. Stripped the bed, cleaned the bathroom, sorted the laundry. In between I'm icing. I know tomorrow will be hell. I start outpaient PT. Its an hour ride both ways...so I'm going to rest in between spurts of rnergy today. Hope everyone is well.
 
@valgriff2 Well done, just take it easy and rest. Don't try to do too much too soon
Sometimes we do these extra things because we are annoyed with ourselves. Have energy and a clear head for your PT and don't let them push you. Happy icing x
 
An hour ride to PT? :yikes: That’s a very long ride for a new knee. My knee could hardly handle the 15 minute ride I had. Why do you have to go so far?
 
Stripped the bed, cleaned the bathroom, sorted the laundry. In between I'm icing. I know tomorrow will be hell. I start outpaient PT. Its an hour ride both ways
You already did PT! All these daily activities are helping to rehab your knee. You really don't need PT, just use your knee as you already are. But, since you are going, make sure you don't let them push or pull your knee in any way. Don't let them let you hurt yourself, either. Oh, and don't medicate just to take PT. You need to feel your knee. If it's painful, then it's bad for your baby knee. Treat it like the newborn that it is!
 
Don't worry about the length of time you are on the narcotics right now. It hasn't been that long in many people take them for up to 11 or 12 weeks post op. I was taking 2 percocet every 4 hours for the 1st 4 weeks, Then went down to 1 every 5 or 6 hours for another 3 weeks. I was still taking them at 7:00 p.m. in the evening and it bedtime up through week 11 or 12. I was still taking them at 7:00 p.m. in the evening and it bedtime up through week 11 or 12
 
I have terrible insurance...plus I live in avery rural area that doesn't offer much. I'm dreading the ride....have to be in the backseat with pillows and ice for a ride to the grocery store 14 minutes away.

Now down to 1 percocet at 10pm. And then 1 when I wake up. Alternating advil and tylenol during the day because I'm nauseous all the time.

Felt good to move around a bit. Just super dread tomorrow.
 
Since it is such a long and uncomfortable ride, maybe only go once a week. A long uncomfortable ride can undermine the PT session.

If you find that you can do the same or similar things at home, then just do your rehab at home. Movement is important, any movement will do, it doesn’t have to be the exact ones your PT tells you to do. Next time around I will do my own at home and still have a great outcome.
 
Very good advice. I may do that. I'll see how it goes....cuz you are right, its a long ride.
 
I’m sure they will tell you how important it is for you to come to them, but we have members who don’t go to formal PT and they do very well.

@sistersinhim did not go to formal PT, and she did just fine.
 
@sistersinhim did not go to formal PT, and she did just fine.
Yes, Jockette is right. Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took formal PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I used my knee as it was intended to be used by walking around to take care of my daily needs. As I healed I was able to do more. Icing and elevation was a huge part of my recovery.

Listen to your knee. It will tell you if you're doing too much by increased pain and swelling. When that happened, I found that resting, icing and elevating helped. Your knee knows how to rehab itself without anyone telling it how.
 
So.....woke up in horrible pain....hour ride to PT. Cry cry cry. PT was nice enough guy....but wants me to be constantly in motion, bending and straightening. On a day like this.....aint happening. Feels like that invisible band around my knee widened and tightened 100%. Plus the ankle is just screaming. So......im in bed. Elevating....ice....feeling guilty cuz I'm not apparently helping myself. But.....gotta go Friday again....doubtful I will last long.
 
So.....woke up in horrible pain....hour ride to PT. Cry cry cry. PT was nice enough guy....but wants me to be constantly in motion, bending and straightening. On a day like this.....aint happening. Feels like that invisible band around my knee widened and tightened 100%. Plus the ankle is just screaming. So......im in bed. Elevating....ice....feeling guilty cuz I'm not apparently helping myself. But.....gotta go Friday again....doubtful I will last long.
My ankle is killing me too. Wonder what's up with that.
Did you take your pain meds, I'm on the couch also with an ice pack.
So if you feel guilty say, " hey Eliza is goofing off to". I am going to take an oxycodone tonight and try to get some sleep
 
Sorry you are having such a hard time, A couple of things you are taking advil. I was told not to because of blood clots. Told to take a baby asprin twice a day. Also no pillow. Try icing after every PT session and when just laying watching TV. I have been doing adult coloring books and word searches to take my mind of the knee. Keep up the good work.
 
Now because of my giy coming to PT....he's nagging. Walk, move, bend.....I took a nap instead.
 
That hour ride is too long for you at this stage and you don’t need another hour of movement while you’re there, and then another hour ride home. You will do better to do your own rehab at home.

Now because of my giy coming to PT....he's nagging. Walk, move, bend.....I took a nap instead.
What he is encouraging you to do is too much for this stage your recovery, especially after a long outing that included PT. Good for you for taking a nap instead.

Gentle bends and short walks are much better for you than 3 hours of discomfort that could take more than a day to recover from.

When you are “laying around” icing and elevating, you are not being lazy, or doing nothing. You are taking care of your surgically wounded knee and giving it the best condition in which to heal.
 
Tell your guy to come to Bonesmart and read tons of threads. He'll see that a newborn baby knee needs to rest, ice and elevate. You just had a major surgery that is a terrible assault on the knee. It doesn't need constant movements. Stop that PT, it's counterproductive and slowing down your healing. You don't need PT to heal or rehab that knee. You can do that at home.

Also, set up a Youtube real-time total knee replacement video for the two of you to watch. You will see why your knee needs rest, not a 3 hour torture session. I didn't even ride in a car until my knee was almost a month old because it was a 30 minute ride. Two hours would have been agony for me.

Good for you taking a nap! That is exactly what you need to be doing. When you are asleep your body can concentrate more on healing that knee.
 
The steri strips are starting to come off. I have no staples or stiches. Any recomnendations as to what I can pyt on it. Its hard and crusty.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom