Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision

PT today....she kicked my hutt. She must assume I was in good shape before because both my legs hurt. They wanted me 3 days a week....I said 2. The hour ride and back is killer. Next month when new insurance kicks in I may be able to find a closer PT.
This PT says my straightening is good, but my bending is less than desirable. Oh well....it will bend as it can. Very sore tonight, little stabby pains in my knee occasionally. And whooped tired.
 
The hour drive each way and then having your butt kicked while there is not helping you heal. It’s causing a set back every time you go.
 
PT and that 2 hour ride is setting your recovery back. You can do everything your knee needs at home. You can find a place closer to home when your new insurance kicks in, but right now, you need to do your daily activities to rehab your knee. That's all you need to be doing.
 
I totally agree....I think that ride is kicking my butt. Plus last night my stomach muscles hurt, my other leg, and my neck. Im getting flack from some people about not moving enough....just trying to ignore and listen to my knee.
 
You are not getting appropriate PT if you are hurting in these other areas. No PT is better than inappropriate PT.

Seriously consider doing your own mobility movements at home until your insurance changes. Then, make some phone calls and be selective about who you make an appointment with. Look for someone with a gentler approach.

If you can’t find that, do your own rehab at home. Daily activities and walking is the most beneficial. All the other stuff is just stuff to do.
 
I'm getting grief from many sides about not wanting to go there for PT. The car ride is too much. I have to bring ice, a pillow, both my walker and cane. Because once there, I have to cross an atrium and go the the 4th floor. Its exhausting. Just going to drag this month out, then go to a closer PT that many people have recommended. By the time I went to bed last night, both legs hurt and my stomach muscles hurt. I'm no athlete.
 
Take control of your own recovery and refuse to go to that far PT anymore. It's your knee, your body and your decision. You are the one who has to deal with the pain and exhaustion. No one else. Tell them to bug off and leave you alone, that you know what's best for your knee!
 
I hear you. I did not go out of the house for my first PT for almost two weeks. Just could not do it as I was too tired from severe lack of sleep. Home PT came out, but he was very gentle and while I could walk well fast, YET any movement of my leg lateral on a surface was excruciating. My delayed PT did curtail me, long run. I was able to return to work earlier -- starting my PT later.

Take your time. This is about your knee, your life, your pain at this point. Thankfully my on-site PT was adaptable to my specifics, so I had little to get her 'together' about. Sounds like the accommodations are not set up well for people still recovering (long walk etc as you describe).
By the time I went to bed last night, both legs hurt and my stomach muscles hurt. I'm no athlete.
 
Walked to my mailbox today. Felt good. Then did some stretching with some bands. Icing now.

Its 4 weeks since surgery. On yop of it, ive had a UTI, and have to see a doc tomorrow because I have a red rash on my face and it hurts. I cannot say this has been a good month. I'm hoping in a few weeks I will start to understand why I did this. So far, I wish I hadn't.
 
I'm getting grief from many sides about not wanting to go there for PT. The car ride is too much. I have to bring ice, a pillow, both my walker and cane. Because once there, I have to cross an atrium and go the the 4th floor. Its exhausting. Just going to drag this month out, then go to a closer PT that many people have recommended.
Try not to listen to them.
It's your life, your body, your knee, and your decision - and it's the right decision.

The only one you need to listen to is your knee, and it's telling you that PT arrangement is not good for it.

You have the right to choose what happens to your knee. While others may offer advise, you have the right to choose whether or not to accept that advice.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used

Just in case people try to scare you into continuing with the bad PT, read these:
1. There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

2. It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your knee has the potential to achieve good ROM right from the start, but it's prevented from doing so by swelling and pain. As it heals and the swelling goes down, your ROM (both flexion and extension) will gradually increase.
 
Its 4 weeks since surgery. On yop of it, ive had a UTI, and have to see a doc tomorrow because I have a red rash on my face and it hurts.
I’m sorry you’ve had these extra things to deal with, it surely isn’t fair. Try to hang in there, better days are coming. :console2:
 
Walked to my mailbox today. Felt good. Then did some stretching with some bands. Icing now.

Its 4 weeks since surgery. On yop of it, ive had a UTI, and have to see a doc tomorrow because I have a red rash on my face and it hurts. I cannot say this has been a good month. I'm hoping in a few weeks I will start to understand why I did this. So far, I wish I hadn't.

Way too soon to ask that question, I learned that the first knee. I know Val it's very hard to see the end of the road especially when in pain.
You've had a rough month with a bunch of health stuff stressing you out.
Is there something you can do to relax just a bit?? Watch a great comedy? my favorite is the birdcage or a netflix series.

I feel so bad, I can feel your frustration. take one night to just veg out and deal with the pain. don't stress about where you think you should be, what you can do in pt etc etc.

It will turn around
 
Went to dr this morning....steroids for the face. Then PT and it went ok. Feels stiff tomight,but I'm now down to 1 pain pill at night. PT so worried about incline....but im just taking it as is.

Hope everyone is doing ok.
 
Hi @valgriff2 - I had two simple outings today-lunch with a girlfriend, and then voting. I feel good about today and the weather is so beautiful. Coming out of the winter season will do me alot of good! My right knee will eventually need replacement but I'm going to opt for surgery over the summer months and not until the left side is completely healed. Hang in there. :SUNsmile:
 
All steri strips are off....kinda feels raw wearing pants, but tolerable. Taking one oxy at night now. Alternating tylenol and advil during the day as needed. Still stiff. Still hurts on occasion enough to make me say ouch loud. Dont care about ROM or anything to do with numbers. Itll bend and straighten as it feels. Still cant say its been worth it. Maybe in a month or so?
 
4 weeks 3 days
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Revision
    20200311_125413.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 277
@valgriff2 I am 2 weeks behind you--my TKR , Left, was Feb. 25. It has been rough, rougher than I thought, but it is going ok--better now that I enter the third week. You know, there is lots of informaiton on this website and on Youtube as to rehab. I do feel better when I stretch, do some gentle exercises for range of motion, do some walking with a focus on my gait, and then elevate and ice. I am going to PT, but thus far I have been able to say no and to work together. I have come to understand that the tissue in our bodies is like mincemeat--it needs time and stillness and healing. Make up your own exercise routine, make a list with check boxes, and forget going to those crazy people. I love massagin my leg: I raise my leg overhead while lying on my back (which I can do ) and then massage gently toward the groin area, trying to reduce swelling and edema. I avoid the incision area of course, but it does feel better and the swelling is going down. Good luck to you!
 
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom