Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision

If you need advice prior to talking to your surgeon about the amount of painkillers/Opiods that you are taking @Jamie will be able to advise you, she was a blessing in my recovery, ( I have tagged her.) I was taking a low dosage of Tramadol for almost 3 months I slowly reduced by taking half a pill, then a quarter to finally just 1 pill at night time then half a pill, till I actually just swopped to paracetamol.
I was given something called Omprazole this is a tummy protector just 1 pill on waking this lines your stomach- might help with your nausea, also always eat something prior to taking a pill too.
A good night sleep is the best - morning stiffness and pain will ease on movement and positivity :-)
 
Im going to try to wean myself off the percocet. I'm using advil right now, but will buy tylenol tomorrow. When I go past 4 hoyrs with the percocet....I feel dizzy, so I'm just going to try to take as little as possible. Dont want to end up with another problem after this.

My ankle is still bruised and aching today. Feeling somewhat down today. Stomach queasy....just having a down day.
 
@valgriff2 ... sorry you're not feeling well. Stomach discomfort can be a problem when taking antibiotics. You'll be off them soon and I suggest you wait to make any dramatic changes in your pain meds until you are off them for a couple of days. If you haven't been supplementing those antibiotics with some probiotics, start that immediately. You can buy pills over the counter and it's a good idea also to heat a carton of yogurt each day with active cultures for at least a couple of weeks. This will help get the flora back in balance in your gut.

Advil is not a particularly good medication for pain. Tylenol is better as an over-the-counter medication. But you do have to be careful with the amount of acetaminophen you're taking if you use Tylenol with percocet.

How about telling me exactly what you're taking and when each day. We can go from there and figure out any changes you could make to start reducing the amount of opioids you're taking. Many people need to wean off them slowly and from what you're describing about the dizziness and nausea, I'm thinking this may be the case for you. Don't worry......it can be done. It just takes a little time and patience. But more important right now is your pain. I also need to know what your pain levels are throughout the day and night, what makes pain worse, and what makes it better.

Please tag me with your response so I see it quickly. To do that, you type the "at" sign (@) followed immediately by my username ... like this ... @Jamie
 
This has been my schedule. 7am....percocet, and 1 aspirin, 1 UTI antibiotic. 10am...3 advil, 1 effexor *, multi vitamin*. 12pm...1 percocet. 2pm....3 advil. 4-5pm.....1 percocet. 7pm...3 advil. 10pm...Antibiotic, ambien*, melatonin*, pravastatin *. 11pm percocet. 3am...percocet.
*regular meds
Im eating yogurt every day.Antibiotics are now done.

So far today....4am...percocet. 1030am percocet.. 2pm. 3 motrin

Want to wind down on percocet. Thanks for your interest.
 
Sorry to hear this,but understand, there are many of us having similar experiences ...I get so frustrated when people say” it s only a partial,you should be doing, blah blah blah by now” ..6 weeks as of this Tuesday, and seem to have had a setback..not much progress , but there is hope! Time is our friend!
 
I know. My 85 year old mither and my boyfriend are looking at me as if I'm over exaggerating...of course they've both had worse surgeries, but I havent. I feel kinda pathetic.
 
I know. My 85 year old mither and my boyfriend are looking at me as if I'm over exaggerating...of course they've both had worse surgeries, but I havent. I feel kinda pathetic.
Don’t let them get to you, a knee replacement is one of the most difficult recoveries, and we here totally understand what you’re going through. :console2:
 
7 1/2 hours sleep!!! Bliss!!!! Did have to take a pain pill at 730 am. But.....now almost noon....took 3 ibuprofen and going to go grocery shopping with my guy and my mom. Got my ice, pillow, pain pill if needed....so I'm out the door. Pain down to 5 at the moment. Fingers crossed. First outpatient
 
Outing was a bust. I used an electric cart in the store.. felt like it was cutting into my thigh...hurt like crazy. Sat on a wooden chair, more pain....so out to the car with my icebag and my pillow while my guy n mom shopped. Very discouraged.
 
Ebbs and flows...you are very early in healing process, I am impressed with your progress! Even more impressed with your sleep! Time is our friend, stay the course ?...
 
Ebbs and flows for sure. The good days feel real good. Sleep feels real good. The bad days seem impossible talk about self pity!!!!!!!

Anyone having trouble sitting on a hard cahir ir surface? Feels like it cuts into the back of my leg and causes pain.
 
And ankles?????? My inside ankle is still bruised and feeling tight.
 
Ebbs and flows for sure. The good days feel real good. Sleep feels real good. The bad days seem impossible talk about self pity!!!!!!!

Anyone having trouble sitting on a hard cahir ir surface? Feels like it cuts into the back of my leg and causes pain.
Hey valgriff,
It's NOT self pity. You've (along with us all) had major trauma to your body. I definitely suffered through exactly the same thing you are going through . And I'm 7 days out from my 2nd tkr. The only reason I'm not majorly depressed is because I went through it once before.

Yes hard surfaces were horrible, my only relief was to get up and walk.
I'm still elevating and icing at every available opportunity.

My entire surgical side is swollen and bruised from the knee down to the toes
 
I hope you are all doing well. Just cant sbap out of the blues cuz of such pain abd discomfort
 
I hope you are all doing well. Just cant sbap out of the blues cuz of such pain abd discomfort

Ok this is going to sound really weird but maybe your trying to "snap " out of it is also putting stress on you. Truthfully from an outsider looking in, you are doing really well. I think you are losing sight of exactly how tough a knee replacement surgery can be on the body.

What are you doing during the down days?? You know one thing I do when pain is kicking in?? I come here and try to answer others questions. Seriously just the act of formulating answers based on my experience helps for a moment.

Next, I like music so some times a 15 minute break to him along helps.
 
I love coming here!!!! I honestly always feel better!!!! I think I'm feelin a tad useless and the house is getting cruddy!!!!! I wanba just do my regular stuff. .but then I come here and feel a bit more patient. So glad I found this!!!! What a God send!!!!
 
Hang in there valgriff2, your body has been through a lot. Baby steps to getting better. Slow down and let your body heal. As everyone says on here- this is a marathon not a sprint. The blues are rough though. I experienced that and some anxiety issues. Be patient with yourself and don't over do it.
 
I always found that when I was feeling "out of sorts" a few hours or minutes on BoneSmart always put my mind at rest it is great therapy to help others so even if you post on one or two other people posts you are helping others too and you will feel so much better.
Enjoy your day xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom