Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision

Is it normal to still have numbness? The outside area of my knee is still numb, like dead numb.

Now steri strips are offcan Ijust wash the area with mild soap?.....
 
Hello @valgriff2 -I hope you're having a good day today!
It seems like between 10-12 weeks can be a turning point for some. It's getting better every day for me. I think you might notice a difference beginning around your 6 week mark. I took pictures of my knee frequently so I could see progression of my scar. I'm going to attach a pic of mine that I took earlier. Mine still looks kind of rough. But, I decided that will fade with time. I'm not using anything special on it either. It's my badge of courage! Posting that pic now. Take care
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Revision
    IMG_20200313_093659.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 266
Is it normal to still have numbness? The outside area of my knee is still numb, like dead numb.

Now steri strips are offcan Ijust wash the area with mild soap?.....


Yes very normal and I'm experiencing the same sensation. Yes I was told to wash as normal
 
@valgriff2 I still have weird sensations in my knee. It's annoying as heck, but I've gotten to the point where I've come to accept it.

I would communicate with your doctor about washing your incision site after the steri strips are off.
 
I never thought I'd have a decent day, but today not so bad. Even went grocery shopping (stores were nuts!!!) But used a mobile cart. Its another step toward better. Thanks for all your responses....what a Godsend this place us!
 
How did your knee do with the motor cart? I didn’t try one because I thought I’d need a better bend to use it.
 
It did ok....but the "lip" on the edge of the seat seemed to feel like it was cutting in my thigh. I'm only 5'1"....but I think you could probably stretch is a bit more. I could not have walked as much as we shopped. It was worth it.
 
My ankle is still bruised and kinda sore. Does anyone know why that would be?
 
The surgeon does a lot of manipulations and testing of your knee in the surgery so that could account for bruising and some soreness. It is normal to have this after surgery, so I wouldn't worry about it as long as the bruising is not appearing to be new. By now it should be starting to change to those lovely yellowish colors.
 
Bruising on ankle has just never gone away....its tender to the touch. But i can walk and move it.

Went to PT today...at 94°...which honestly, I'm not concerned over. But using my operated knee to go up steps and my good knee to go down was killer. Talk about stretching something I havent felt yet!!!!

Still cant say this was a good idea, but I can say pain has eased up a bit. Pain killer only at night. Tried going without it....deep bone throbbing about 4am. So.....still taking it for now. Ice is my main pain killer.
 
Bruising on ankle has just never gone away....its tender to the touch. But i can walk and move it.

Went to PT today...at 94°...which honestly, I'm not concerned over. But using my operated knee to go up steps and my good knee to go down was killer. Talk about stretching something I havent felt yet!!!!

Still cant say this was a good idea, but I can say pain has eas

cd up a bit. Pain killer only at night. Tried going without it....deep bone throbbing about 4am. So.....still taking it for now. Ice is my main pain killer.

can I ask why the rush to get of meds? I know everyone is really fearful with this horrible opiod addiction going on but you are a little over 4 weeks out. Sleeping is hard enough for me as it is, now I'm only 3 weeks out but this is my second time at the rodeo.

I can't imagine trying to go to Pt with extreme pain so I take a tramadol 45 minutes before. It allows me to give it my best.

Hang in there, glad you can walk around and your pain is easing up a bit
 
Some advice I was given was NOT to take pain relief prior to workout. being unable to feel pain/ resistance could create bigger problems, as in overdoing it..maybe Differing opinions on this...
Never thought about it like that. Unfortunately believe me I definitely still feel it.
 
Think PT was overdone yesterday. Knee hurt like crazy today. Then I got the call....surgeon not doing any follow ups unless someone is having complications. PT said no therapy for 6 weeks......both due to the coronavirus. So......I have the tension straps and a knee roll....im on my own but I'm determined to move ahead and now I can do it at my pace.
 
My dr is closed for at least 3 weeks probably longer. The silver lining is you have a chance to do it on your own for a bit. I did better after stopping PT but still do not have the balance of activity/recovery quite right. I have been doing great but this week is a setback and I have to lighten up. Yesterday I was moving boat trailers around and helping my daughter pick up her new truck. Yup I’m an idiot.
 
Yes, there are many home and bed PT's you can do and you PT probably gave you worksheets on them. There are plenty on youtube. I am finding that if I do too little, doing nearly anything the next day brings back soreness and pain. So I am trying to stay active sans gym and post PT.

Re. the numb area. Yes, it is normal. They have to cut a nerve to perform the TKR and usually that numb area remains but gets smaller over time. Mine has. I notice it less and less now.
 
I have the tension straps and a knee roll....im on my own but I'm determined to move ahead and now I can do it at my pace.
You don't need to use either one of those. Just use your knee as you normally would and it'll come back all by itself. Your daily activities are all the PT it needs.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom