Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

:yikes:, The name of the buildings where my Mom lives on Hallowen I call them, Haunted Oak, Creaking Oak, and Spooky Oak. It is an an old oak forest, pretty scary. :shocked:

Mom is only OK, she is ready to go. She has a bladder infection, now on antibiotics. Had a talk with rehab about the lack of follow through with transfers with the aides just picking her up and putting her in bed. I would like to see her at least standing up, half turn and sit down.
The is emotionally exhausting to see her like this, she seem out of it, but is paying attention, and tells you later.
Tapering off pain meds, I think this will help clear her head. I notice she is able to tolerate more movement, every little thing used to hurt.
This all frustrates me, I can do transfering, bed mobiliy, and sit to stand, better than they can, and have to stand there and watch all because of my knee :hairpulling:.
I wish this was easier, it is not,
 
Oh @Pumpkln, Chris,

Obviously the bladder infection caused her confusion. I only know about this because some of my older friends have nursed their parents in their later years and have all said the same thing. Whether they are male or female, an elderly person with a bladder infection gets very confused. In particular when catheterisation is done.

I can only imagine your frustration watching the aides only doing half a job. It goes without saying that the more mobility you mom has the better for her. Less chance of chest infections etc as you only too well know xx

The knee thing gets all of us. It got me today when I couldn't get across to go comfort my daughter who has had some bad news. I'll see her later today but the frustration and rage, in fact resentment at my knee was awful. Not feeling physically well is not helping. Mentally I'm much, much better.

Being in your situation, I would be furious. However, at least she is recalling things and seems a bit more relaxed from the pain somewhat.

Btw, the Oaks would creep me out too, especially at Halloween. Where our caravan is located, directly in the next field is another site. On Halloween they do the haunted woodland walk. It was my full intention to do that this year. It's really funny to hear people shrieking and jumping out if their skins!! They get the locals to hide in the trees and bushes with horrible masks and outfits. They shine torches on themselves just as they jump out in front the group. Its fabulous fun. Advice from me...go to the loo first!!

I just watched Peter Cushing in Frankenstein on catch up tv cos I just can't sleep. It's worse due to the steroids. However, I slept beautifully just after teatime for two hours, which may be contributing to the insomnia xxx

You'll be pleased to know I'm down to 60 mg Morphine a day now. 30mg am/pm. One week on this and drop again woohoo xxx

So that's that. This bug is really taking hold of my nose and throat. I don't feel great but I'm getting there with my knee that for sure xxx

Love Ann xxx
 
@Pumpkln Ann is right, bladder infection in older people causes confusion. I use to be a CNA at a nursing home. It always irritated me when other CNA's cut corners. Often though it was because nursing homes are usually understaffed. I know I often had 50 patients to care for. I had 2 hours to get them all up, dressed and moved into the dinning room for their meals. The LPNs and RNs would just sit on their fannies behind the desk, not even lifting a hand! The nursing home that was the best staffed was the non profit one ran by a church, and at times it was understaffed. We weren't allowed to just lift a person into bed unless it was with the mechanical lift. We always stood them up, pivoted them and set them on the bed and then laid them down. I hope your mom improves soon!
 
Thanks @tiredwife and @Nana moon 27
She is in a non profit. DH visited her this morning and said she was better. LPN's and RN's are up and around most of the time, not sitting on their duffs. As you know some are better than others.
Her favorite dress shop is having a sale today, the sometimes have stylish fleece outfits, will check if they have one for her.
DH is going to buy some flavored Kiefer to restock her gut bacteria. I worry about c-diff.
 
Hi Chris

I do hope that you get your mom a nice something from the sale xxx I'm so relived that she is better. It also sounds like the staff are ok. I agree with you regarding the variation in the care given by staff xx

Thanks ever so much for the update. How are you feeling Chris?

Love Ann xxxx
 
@Pumpkln Glad your mom is doing better! The only time I ever saw our LPNs and RNs up and around is if an inspector was around! They even wanted us to do their jobs like change the colostomy bags, etc.
 
Hi Chris, @pumpkin, I am pleased to hear that your mom is making some improvement. I was not aware that bladder infections could cause confusion in elderly people. Your poor mom! I hope she gets more mobile soon as well so she is not as dependent on the aides (odd name for them if they aren't helping out at all).

I hope you are getting the rest you need for your physical and emotional benefit. It is tough enough taking care of your rehabilitation without having the extra responsibility of your mom. It sounds like you and your mom have support with your family which is always a good thing.

I think you are a Rock Star for all that you do for others and I hope you feel appreciated, because you are.

Take care of yourself and have a good night.
 
Mom refused pain meds yesterday! Appears her pain is finally less. She went from early AM to 8PM, and still had not indicated she needed pain meds. They changed her, and dressed her for bed with out a complaint. Hoping with less meds and clearing up her bladder infection her brain will clear, and she can start getting back to a more normal situation.
Skipped the shop yesterday, no fleece on their web site, and I would rather go to the pool for me.
Interestingly, my knee is feeling better.
 
How's things with you @Pumpkln? Xxxx

Have you realised your little emoticons you sent to @tiredwife? I'm crying with laughter here. The one who does the long side step looks like he vanishes up the one rolling on the floor laughings backside...oh dear. Haven't laughed so much in ages. But it's making me too breathless. Absolutely priceless. Lol xxx see below. Omg it's too funny xx

:heehee::bolt::rotfl:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am very tired. I walked a half mile, i have not walked that far on over a year. Mom is getting better, she went outside for a ride in her wheelchair.
I will let you know tomorrow if I joined the ODIC.
:sleep::yawn::yawn::dead:
 
Back
Top Bottom