Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

Sprinkles and now even thicker smoke. Argh!
Hiding in the bedroom where the air is fresher.
Today my knee has been ok, I actually think it likes a little more activity.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
@Pumpkln I can't wait for this fire season to be over and rains to come. I read somewhere that there have been 4000 fires in Ca. this season-I don't know if that's correct but I do know we've had a ton of them. There's a fire near us now, I can see a huge smoke cloud from it when I run errands. Thankfully I don't smell the smoke-I guess the winds are not blowing it this way. I hope the fire near you gets under control and put out soon. I'm glad your knee keeps getting better!
 
I hope that you are better and the smoke isn't hurting anyone. Now that the fires are at the peack I hope that all is safe. I hope that your knee is better. We need to have rain so bad. When I was in the East, we had rain and it felt so good. I found that getting wet was neat. I hope that we can get all our lakes as full as I saw back there. Stay safe. Tashia
 
Now that I am driving, I went to my massage therapists new office, it is up a long flight of industrial type stairs.
Going up was no problem, after my massage walking down my IT band and ankle protested, at about the number of stairs I have at home. Therapist was watching and knows I ran into trouble.
The last 12 hours have not been a lot of fun, my peroneals are in spasm, and my IT band is acting up.
Going to call him next week and have him come to the house next time. While I may be ready to go out, I am not ready to negoiate that many stairs yet.
Looks like to today will be: Resting, Icing, Elevating, and Medicating, and a :swim:.
 
Thank goodness my knee is feeling better. A gloomy day here, cloudy, trying to rain, and smoke from the fire.
Thanks to @lorl , and @chestnc for playing the Limericks game with me, and @patient 99 , @new knee in June , and @tiredwife for keeping me entertained on Carol's thread.
You all are keeping me from getting a really bad case of cabin fever!
DH and I just could not muster enough get up and go to go out today. With winter coming we better get with it.
 
Hi @Pumpkln I'm over the moon to read that you are driving again, how wonderful to regain that bit of independence. Well done I am so truly pleased for you. I'm sorry to hear about the fire, the ash and cloud. I hope it goes away and fast. Will pray for rain for you. Please take care my friend x love Ann xxx
 
@Pumpkln I'm soooooooooooooo glad you're doing so much better!
I have a question you may or may not be able to answer......but maybe you know who can. My knee swelling is worse-it used to be 1" larger around than the left knee at about 3 months or so, now it's 2 1/2 to 3 " bigger and there are a couple obvious pockets of swelling. Icing and elevating are not doing anything. I was using Motrin, but that didn't help the swelling, and it masked some pain I didn't know I had. It has gotten stiffer than it was, also-it's actually pretty stiff at times now. I'm still pretty much able to do normal stuff, but I can definitely tell it's stiffer, etc. I don't know if this is a normal part of the healing process, or if I'm reacting to the metal in the implant since it's been swollen since the surgery-not as much as at first now but still pretty swollen, or something else. I do have an allergy to nickel, but don't think the implants have any nickel in them. Any ideas?
 
Swelling can be one of the last things to resolve after surgery. You have a few options to try and help it along, though. You can ice and elevate - as much as you want. You can try to stay off the leg as much as possible (see previous sentence about icing/elevating....do it while you are off your feet. You can also do lymphatic massage to try and work the swelling fluid up toward the trunk of your body so it can be eliminated. Lymphatic massage is simply working the swollen areas with your hands (using some oil helps) in such a way that you massage from the lower leg up to the hip.
 
@lovetocookandsew ,
Massage will help, and/or you can go to a lymphatic massage therapist.
Early in my recovery I was given this activity for lymph drainage. Lying down on my back, 5 deep breaths in through the nose, out the mouth, 5 mini sit ups, lifting your head is enough, 5 ankle pumps both ankles, 5 glut sets, 5 quad sets. I did it a couple times a day. Theory is it opens up the valves in your lymph system.
It got the swelling down in my ankle the second day, my knee took it's own sweet time.
You may need more breaks during the day to give your knee time to rest.
Don't forget we are still early in recovery, which can take a year or more.
 
@Pumpkln Thanks for the info. I wouldn't be concerned as it's not quite 6 months, except that it has been gradually and steadily getting more and more swollen no matter how much I rest or ice/elevate, both of which I've been doing more of lately, to no avail. I'll try your exercises along with the massage. Thanks guys!
 
This has been one of those days, smokey, running nose, watery eyes, unhappy knee.
My idea of getting dressed today was changing into clean PJ's.

Tomorrow off to see the OS, not sure what to say, my knee is better, but it is not good. I still have bruising on the back of my knee, pain and bruising where the ITB goes over the tibial tray. Both have been there for about 7 weeks.

Best part of the appointment is it will be out of the smoke. :yay:
 
I have asthma too, last year we had to leave town, there were no breaks in the smoke. This year the smoke comes and goes, I seem to be doing OK with the breaks.
Just tired of having to stay inside, and I cannot to my main source of exercise which is swimming.:swim:
 
I got really sick at dinner, and need to get out of the smoke. It is supposed to be worse on Thursday.
It is also putting me in a bad mood.:bricks:
We will just keep going south after the OS appointment.
 
Back
Top Bottom