Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

Pumpkin, I am so glad that you are doing so good. Its ruff when its sooo slow but that is what it is all about. I think the slower the better. Do take care and know you will get there, I am finally getting better with doing things. Take care. Tashia
 
Pumpkln....I just want you to know I'm following your progress and sending you all the hugs and support I can muster. It makes me so happy to hear you are starting to make some forward progress with all this. What a nightmare!!! You are absolutely amazing to have handled all of this as well as you have. God bless you, hon!!!
 
@Pumpkln thinking of you and wanted to pop in to say "hi". No, my physio has not suggested IT band rolling. I wonder why not???

~~hopefaith
 
Thank you everyone, @Dhare63, @dogwheels , @busylizzie , @Celle, @kneeper , @hopefaith, @tashia, @Jamie, @Nana moon 27 .
For you support and sharing your experiences with out of control pain. Mine was one night, I don't know how people cope with ongoing pain at this level. It takes you to dark places I did not now existed.
I am also noticing I have dropped off of my friends radars, I know I have not contacted them either, it works both ways. I think twice about contacting them, and dumping this experience on them, even if it is only a snap shot of what is happening, and say forget about it, too hard for me to initiate contact. I suppose there are some friends who would be glad to provide support and others who would want nothing to do with me (guess they are not friends).
On a postive note, the people at work have been supportive, I am in there 2x a week for PT and they have the on going story. I do not have to repeat the whole thing.
That's all I have this morning, thanks for listening,


physio has not suggested IT band rolling. I wonder why not???
Ask them about the roller, they may have a reason.
 
You know what @Pumpkln? My maxim for friends and acquaintances is :

'Those that mind don't matter - and those that matter don't mind'

Seems to be the case in my experience.

Hope you're day is going well. Still on the iced coffee? Thankfully it's warmed up a bit here so I haven't been chain-drinking warm mugs of tea and coffee, like I did yesterday!

XXX
 
Still on the iced coffee?
Not today, I finished the pot of coffee before it cooled.
When I am cold and do not need more caffeine, I just heat water in a mug so I can hold onto it, and warm up my hands.

'Those that mind don't matter - and those that matter don't mind'
I like this, going to keep it in mind as I move forward.
 
That expression is from Dr. Suess I believe. That was my niece's mantra when she tried out for a local talent show. @Pumpkln You have been through so much. I know what you mean about friends....I actually have that with one son and DIL and it is very painful. It is like I don't exist anymore. It is very strange, no phonecalls, or anything. I also know it works both ways, but I have no emotional energy right now.
Thinking of you today and hope the rest of it is a little better. You are such an encourager to me. I hope I can be that to you.
~~hopefaith (((((hugs))))))
 
@Pumpkln
I know what you mean about friends!

When our son lost his leg, I thought that we would have lots of people phoning and visiting, to wish him (and us) well. What happened was that we received only one phone call, and that was from someone with whom I didn't think we had been particularity close. Later, one of my former friends told me, "I wanted to come and visit you, but I was afraid I wouldn't know what to say." No words necessary, but just a hug would have been appreciated.

The people who were my greatest support were some that I had only known for a couple of months, since I had joined Overeaters Anonymous. They travelled 3 hours there and 3 hours back, to Palmerston North, where our son was in hospital, and visited for the day, bringing cooked chicken and salads, so that we could have a picnic lunch in the motel where I was staying. I appreciated that so much!
 
Thanks, @Celle, @hopefaith, @dogwheels ,
The friend that has been most supportive is the one I have known longest, since I was 1, I would have known her longer, except I am a year older than her. Our families get together about once a year up at Lake Tahoe.

It is always interesting to see who steps up to bat, (a baseball term) when troubles come. Can't say I have always been there for people all of the time myself, guess we are all guilty of not being the best of friends, in all circumstances.
 
I can relate Chris to the loss of friends....I too have few friends who bother with me. After a very challenging time at home, then losing my mother, then TKR and revision, it seems those four girlfriends that I thought were going to be there for me have tapered off, two completely. I still see the other two once in a while and my son is close with her son, who I adore. It is very lonely for me sometimes, I guess that's why I keep coming back here. And as others have said, this street goes both ways. All I know is I have thrown myself into my work and little else gets any time. I know it's an escape and I know I need to deal with it, it's just that I am completely spent almost all the time. The knee is fine, the blues are crushing.

I guess that's why animals are such comfort...my kitties are the best. And so are the bone smarties!

Be well, I will stop whining now! Dawn
 
No Worries @hopefaith about derailing my thread.
Thanks for posting about friendship, I am posting what is most on my mind about this revision and how it has affected and changed my life, relationships, friendships, family relations, and yes even family can't handle it.
It is great to hear from others facing the same troubles, and helps make this journey not feel so lonely.
 
Thanks Pumpkin for letting us commiserate on your thread. I guess we all need some group therapy!

Sometimes just writing it or saying what you think out loud is helpful, I know it helps me think through the issues I am most troubled by.

@hopefaith , feel free to use my words or quote me on your thread. There is strength in numbers!

Dawn
 
These issues have been coming up for me, a little group therapy is good for us to see we are struggling with many of the same issues. Writing it here makes it easier for me to communicate with the people at home, and in particular with the medical people so they understand how hard this is for me, and do not discount me. I tend to look like everything is fine no problem, my affect does not always reflect the upheaval inside.

I notice @Dhare63 , @Celle, @tashia, and myself all joined Bonesmart with in a few days of each other.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris,

Just catching up on your thread. You are so right about friends and family. It's the whole out of sight, out of mind thing. I love the BoneSmart forum because we can all relate to each other to some degree. I have never read a post, and I have read a lot, that did not resonate with me somehow. Everybody is going through the same journey with different steps and we all respect that.

I had someone say to me today, "you're still on painkillers??!" with an incredulous look on his face. I felt like saying "are you still stupid??!" I will be off the painkillers soon enough but you can't fix stupid. :)

Things are getting tense in the household. I am exhausted trying to heal while working full time. My hubby and kids are pretty helpful around the house but it's like they don't understand why I am still so dependent. I am having troubles enough being dependent. I am sick of being on meds and I am sure that is why I am so emotional but tonight I asked them to bring up 3 ice packs and my cryocuff as I wanted to come up to bed and check out BoneSmart before going to bed. The two youngest got into a fight about who was going to bring them up which escalated to how lazy each one was then they just got louder and louder and I lost it. I yelled at them. I am not a yeller. I started crying yelling and told them to forget helping at all and that I will do it all myself. Then my husband got upset at them for being ungrateful and got upset at me for yelling at them. Yesterday I cried when my eldest son was driving me home from work because I misinterpreted something he said so it seemed like I was being an inconvenience to him. Anyway, it will all work out. I think we all have a bit of cabin fever - well I do anyway.

How is your swimming going. I hope to get in the water this weekend and start doing a few exercises.

Hope you are doing okay and that you don't experience any crazy high pain episodes again.
 
I had someone say to me today, "you're still on painkillers??!"
Geeze, wonder what they would say to me, what a dolt. I no longer mention I am on painkillers, just easier.
I have had more than one melt down, most around that awful night. We muddle through somehow.
DH does not want me to drive with any Norco, I think I could manage to the store, would not want to drive on the freeway,yet. Going to ask the pain Dr. when I see him next week. I think it depends if you are impaired, on the lower dose I am not loopy anymore.

To avoid another painful night I have decided I need to take care of myself, I have painkillers and will use them if the pain get that bad. I do not what to go back to that dark hole again.

Tonight it is DH who is upset, I just let it go for the most part, he is frustrated too.

On the lighter side it felt almost normal to be getting ready to go to the Balloon Races tomorrow morning. Starts at 5 with the glow show, then the main launch is at 6:45. I have my camera packed, alarm set, and my clothes out. Was nice to do something that had nothing to do with my knee.They always start late, so we will get there late.
Nice thing is we will be home by 9, and still have the rest of the day to do what ever. Probably Elevate and Ice.
I think the last time I went was in 2010, it has been awhile. I will post some photos tomorrow.

I always pick up before the housekeeper arrives, I could never find anything if someone else put stuff away for me. I want her to do the cleaning I cannot do or do not like to do, like pushing the vacuum, cleaning the stove, and so on.

Swam today, it felt good, water temp is around 85 degrees. We had the pool to ourselves again, nice and peaceful.

Everyone have a nice evening, and a decent nites sleep, if not there is always someone here.
 
I had a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy when it concerned the painkillers I took after my TKR. I don't think even my husband knew what I was taking, and when. I did tell him when I had reduced the dosage as I was tailing off.

As for friends, I deflected any questions by just saying something like "Yes, it still hurts sometimes, so I take something." That was as specific as I got.

Of course, I didn't drive until I was off narcotics.
 
I find myself coming here and feeling home. Pumkin the pain will get less. It really does. With the cooler weather coming up we all can go outside more and get away from this heat. This is a lonely path but the cool thing is we are all here. I am so glad that you have surpport at work. I have been attending a small group and do feel better a little. I am also taking some classes with my Health insurance on how to get into a schudule. The one things we have is this site and we can come here when we need too. Take care. God Bless Tashia
 
My doc told me the Norco lasts about 4 hours so said I could use that to gauge my driving. I tried to time it about 3-4 hours into a dose, but I felt fine on the Norco. Of course we're not always the best judge of how we're affected.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom