Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

@Pumpkln, I hope the next couple of weeks go great for you and hope to read a lot of great reports from you when I come back from vacation. I may or may not check in with the site the next couple of weeks while we're gone, so I sure hope to hear you are getting better by leaps and bounds. I'll be rafting the Rogue, taking walks, maybe biking, etc, and hope to be able to do it all. Kim
 
@lovetocookandsew , Have a wonderful fun vacation, I look forward to hearing all about it when you return.:capn::realing::surfer::swim::walking::kayak:
I am going to ask a friend to take me kayaking, it is all arms, and mine are strong from hauling myself around on crutches. Hoping this is something I can do to get outdoors, and get some exercise.

I have been reading so many threads where people are having trouble with appropriate medication for their pain after just a few weeks. :shocked:
I have found myself re living my night from :tantrum::bawl::boohoo::dead:when I was told to go off Norco and take Tramadol. Little did I know tramadol would not work for me and makes me crazy. That was the most soul crushing experience of my life, laying there looking at this otherworld knee that was hurting more than anything I have ever experienced. I was praying to die, it was that bad. Not thinking clearly from the Tramadol, I did not take anything else for the pain, I had oxycodone, and Norco, couldn't even figure out to take one of them.
What is really painful for me now is the praying to die, this is scary, knowing the effect prayer can have. I have not really processed this, but keep thinking, be careful of what you pray for, you may get it.
I feel tired most of the time even after what for me is now a "good" night sleep. I do have less pain now, and in the past I have reacted to less pain, by getting really tired.

It's not all doom and gloom, I am better, pain is less, I can walk more with out my crutches, I can do more, I can go out, and I think I can start getting out of town a little.
Thanks for listening,
 
Hi @Pumpkln, sorry that you are having troubles with the meds. I am happy that you are getting into the pool and that you are able to get off the crutches.

I enjoy kayaking. We have a couple of them but I have not been out this year. I did not go last year come to think of it. It is tough for me to get in. I am just a bit over 5' 2" which doesn't help. How tall are you? Also, our kayaks are old school and pretty deep so I can't sit down then swing my legs around. :)

Strange how some drugs work and others don't.
I'm thinking medical marijuana may work, and if it doesn't we might not care. :heehee:
 
I'm thinking medical marijuana may work, and if it doesn't we might not care.
And don't forget the munchies, not so good if you want to lose weight.
They are researching if medical marijuana reduces the dose of narcotics needed. I hope they let them finish the research.
 
And don't forget the munchies, not so good if you want to lose weight.
Good point Chris :) Health Canada is one of my clients and when the Medical Marijuana Project was looking for testers, I was tempted to apply. I am an IT recruiter so it turned out they wanted software testers. It was a fun though though! :snork:
 
@Pumpkln. Even though you are still having issues, I think you are gradually on the mend. I have noticed your posts lately show that you are improving, slowly but surely. I sure hope you stop having pain soon and are able to get off the pain meds. It kind of surprises me that you are still having so much pain; I can't remember exactly when I last took any pain meds but I know it's been a couple of months or so, so seeing you still suffering is awful. Each of us heals at a different rate. I know I always have a really hard time at first after any surgery or illness, then I heal and recover really fast once I get over the initial hurdles. I'm not 100%, I still have some swelling, but I am doing amazingly well, and I hope you get to this stage really soon. I do still notice swelling that gets better or worse depending how long I'm on my feet, and usually I am on them all day as I hate being idle........I'm going to play a lot in the next couple of weeks, but I also plan to do some sitting by the river with my feet up, a good book in one hand and some iced tea in my other hand. :kayak:
 
I have noticed your posts lately show that you are improving, slowly but surely.
I am definitely better, no doubt about that. The mal alignment keeps stressing my muscles, this is what is causing most of my pain.
Happy to hear how well you are doing, you will be able to enjoy your vacation!
 
Hi Chris,

I hear your comments loud and clear. When you have time to reflect, it is incredible how you felt in the moment. Pain is a strong guide and when out of control, will cloud judgement and take you unexpected places. I too can say there were days when I wanted to give up, with the knee and other issues as well. Try not to be too hard on yourself, as life's plan for you will unfold in due time.

Glad to hear you can get in the kayak. I love being on the water but haven't been in mine in 4 years, such a pity. I just don't have the leg strength to get in and out yet, or really haven't tried to. Losing weight will help with this as well. Need to set small goals!

Do take care and keep us posted,

Dawn
 
Glad to hear you can get in the kayak.
Haven't been yet, but it is a ride on top kayak, I think I can handle it. Check out @Just Jeff's thread, he was kayaking fairly soon after BTKR's. No way I could get into one where you have to wear a skirt. I already know from past experience my knee will protest from leaning on the side of the kayak. I will let you know how it goes. BTW my friend has no idea I have hatched this plan. She is off fishing in Monterey Bay, from her sea kayak. I will talk to her this week. DH will say :no-fin:, he does not like water, boats, or anything associated with water, except the view.
I hear your comments loud and clear.
Dealing with that night has been difficult for me, on top of that I ended up in the ER with through the roof BP, a day later. Thanks for understanding. :friends:
 
Hi @Pumpkln - as one Chris to another, I thought it was high time I popped in to your thread, instead of just 'liking' or 'agreeing' with what you say in other places.
I know things have been difficult and painful for you, (as I read but don't necessarily post) but that never seems to stop you being there for others and supporting - sounds a bit sucky but it is something that I really admire.

I visited my old Mum today and actually mentioned to her the saying regarding Positive Attitude that you have in your signature - one that I strongly believe in and try to adhere to myself. That plus the huge dollop of the faith that it would seem we both share.

I really hope that you manage the ride-on kayaks. They are not for me, but many of my friends at our holiday home have them and enjoy exploring the quiet waterways and river, that small craft with a propeller have difficulty with.
When I met my husband he used to white water canoe for university - I spent many weekends watching him and then racing the bus along country roads to meet them all at the end of the race. I was regularly berated and ridiculed by him and his mates for all the female impedimenta I brought with on these trips, until a particularly bad downriver slalom when lots of boats got holed. My hair dryer came into its own then for setting the fibre glass and I was the hero!

I think we would make a great pair of couples. I share your DH's lack of enthusiasm on all things water based, and you would get on famously with my other half, who you probably know by now, is boat-obsessed.

Anyway - you keep on keeping on and I hope your recovery continues to progress well.

See you around the threads @Pumpkln

XXX
 
who you probably know by now, is boat-obsessed.
I love to sail, but have not gone in years. Probably should ask my brother to take me, he belongs to a sailing club and could arrange it. He own a small motor boat, he manages to bum rides on sail boats. Don't worry he does major favors for these people.
:kayak:me
:walking: you.
Thanks for stopping by, and your kind words,
Chris
 
@Pumpkln, sorry you are having a rough time coming to terms with your ER visit and pain. I have been to the dark place you mention whilst in hospital for the original TKR. It is a horrible place to be. The pain was so uncontrolled and horrendous and all I wanted to do was escape from it any way possible. This is before I found bonesmart. I repeatedly got told to toughen up and left without suitable medication. It was made worse because my husband couldn't visit me because he had a very bad cold and temperature. I had no visitors for quite a few days. Eventually I got to see pain management and they were going to come back and see me the next morning to try and sort out painkillers. It never happened and I was released home and spent the next few weeks at screaming pitch in so much pain. I still have flashbacks and get upset thinking about it.

I'm very persistent now when I go in hospital now to get the right treatment as much as possible for the pain. Which is why I ended up with an epidural left in place for one week at this last surgery. I am fortunate that my GP will prescribe the painkillers I need but have the problem in finding effective ones. In the past I have been prescribed artificial 'weed' but I was far too spaced out on it to function.
 
Thanks @busylizzie , It really does help to know you were not the only one who had this experience. It has changed me in many ways, just trying to get my head around the whole experience is a struggle. It was only for one night, in the morning I finally figured out to take Norco, and call my primary. I cannot imagine going through that for several days.
I have a pain med Dr. now and will stick with him for any future needs. He has been my back Dr. for several years so we have a history, and I like him.
We have medical marijuana here, since I won't smoke anything, it is out. The edibles sound way to strong for me.
 
@Pumpkln, the 'weed' was in tablet form and used for pain and extreme nausea. I have been through 3 pain management teams at different hospitals. The anaesthetist at pre-op at the last surgery was the most switched on and seemed to understand me the best and fought for the epidural as well as the spinal. I have a very high pain threshold as determined at the pain centre trial I took part in a few years ago. I find it hard to believe the pain this knee has caused me. The whole experience has changed me too. I have started trying to live more for the day and be more positive, but it is difficult sometimes to forget the past no matter how hard I try. I have to concentrate on what I can do not what I've done in the past or want to do.

I have had feedback recently when out and about , about being positive despite all that has happened and having a smile on my face. I guess I'm counting my blessings that I can now walk all be it with foot ankle pain and using crutches. I still have dark days.
 
Hi Chris @Pumpkln

I'm sorry you are still re-living your horror night!

I had an experience like that (although not related to any of my medical issues). It still comes back to me, 5 years later, although not as severely. My GP says that it is hard-wired into my thinking, a bit like PTSD. It's a little bit less severe each time, so I hope that your flash-backs decrease in severity, too. :friends:
 
I'm glad the voltaren gel is helping the IT band. I used it last night before bed and it helped keep my knee more comfortable overnight. Why I wasn't doing that before...:doh:

ETA I replied before I saw your really bad pain night post. I hope it is a bit better now. :console2:
 
Hi @Pumpkln Wanted to pop in to see how you are. It sounds as though the past week has been better. I am happy to hear that. You have been through a lot these past weeks. What a recovery process this is, and especially for you all who have had revisions. I have a lot of respect for you all.
~~hopefaith
 
Back
Top Bottom