Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

@Pumpkln hey there! I have been having more heat and swelling. I saw my chiropractor using that tape
on someone yesterday. How does that work?
Yes, evenings are difficult for me too.
I actually found swimsuit today right inside the door of a shop. It was a great price and it fits! Polka dot no less! So the "I don't have a swimsuit I'd be seen dead in":yikes: excuse is gone.
Your progress really sounds familiar. I'm a little frustrated with mine.
Hope your evening is restful.
~~hopefaith
 
Hi @hopefaith,
Congrats on the polka dot swim suit, it is so hard to find one that fits. No more excuses, time for a swim.

Kinesio tape theoretically works by lifting the skin so fluids can flow, easing edema. Eases pain by providing sensory input similar to rubbing a sore spot. The research is inconclusive, reports from athletes and patients support that it works for swelling, pain, and range of motion. Your chiropractor may be able to provide a better explaination. You can try it with your chiropractor, and see if it works for you.
Welcome to the slow train to recovery!
 
Pumpkin, I know this is slow but you will make it and by this time next year you will be passing me while hiking or swimming. Take a day at a time. Stay safe. Tashia
 
I think I am getting better on this slow train to recovery.
This weekend I have not had to use my walker in the house, I had been needing it on and off, depending on what my knee wanted. My knee is no longer hot all the time, warm yes, but not hot. Went for a very short walk, 200 feet, it got a little warmer, some ice, and it cooled right down. A week ago it would have just gotten hot and angry. I notice my knee is starting to get its figure back, the swelling must be going down.
Going to the :swim:every other day, the cool water seems to calm my knee down. The water is at 86 to 87 degress, not to hot not too cold. Staying out of the hot tub, my knee says no not yet.
Still taking pain meds, when I forget I pay with pain and swelling, and just feeling rotten, like this will never be over.
I hope everyone had a good healing weekend,
 
Slow and steady, @Pumpkln, that's how our healing rolls. I'm doing pretty well these days, and am pretty busy playing catch-up with everything I've put off these last few months. Hard to believe it's almost 3 months already! The only things I'm not ready to do yet are mopping my floors and working outside in my garden. I've been picking some, but no weeding, etc. I had so many cucumbers already I made a couple half gallon jars of refrigerator pickles this week-I can't wait to taste them in a week or so. (see attached picture) I have noticed some swelling and stiffness if I forget to stop and elevate in between stuff, it's so hard for me to stop and rest. I haven't taken any pain meds, other than an occasional Motrin, in a while-I don't have much pain anymore. I'm glad you can get into a pool regularly-I want to get into a pool but don't have access to one yet. My cane is permanently retired, and I've been walking around my block in the evening when it's cooler. I have to consciously remember to walk heel toe instead of the funny gait I have been used to for so many years-I notice I limp a lot when I don't walk correctly and have barely any limp when I walk correctly. I still have a little bit of a hard time walking first thing in the am when I walk-until I walk a bit and loosen up. I have gone shopping without using the electric cart, but still use it at WalMart as that's just too much walking for me. I've been driving myself all around for my errands; I am so glad to be free once again! We've been through a lot , and are both doing well, and are on the road to complete recovery. I'm proud of both of us.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Revision Complete, recovery continues
    pickles (3).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 136
I love hearing from both of you that you are having such good luck in getting better. Remember still go slow so that you don't swell. Have a wonderful week. Tashia
 
It is at a snails pace as it is.

Chris, when I saw the OS today the subject of revisions came up. OSs seem to be very skilled in choosing their words carefully. If they were hooked up to a heart monitor, the machine would show that they were flat-lining. Anyways to the point. When he talked about revision I was surprised that he put so much feeling into what he said. The just of it was that a revision is in a league of its own. So I don't think standard TKR recovery times apply.

You say your recovery is going at a snails pace, but given that you are recovering from a revision, its more likely that you are galloping home. Carol
 
@Pumpkln
Hi Chris! I have missed you!

Wow you have some great news. Planking, chucking the walker, getting new shoes. A lot goes on while I am away for a few days.

So happy that you are keeping up with the swimming and that it is healing for you. Likely a good idea to stay away from the hot tub if your knee is not ready. I am not a fan of hot tubs myself so it is not something that I would miss. I enjoy baths when I have the time but I am more of a quick shower to get on with the day. When I was a runner, I would bathe with epson salts to ease the muscles and would just love it when I would lay there with candles and wine or tea and just let the scent of the bubbles relax me and slow down my mind. Never for long but enjoyable just the same.

Likely best to hold off going back to work until you feel ready. Going back to cover holidays could turn into something more and could change their expectations on you going back on a more regular basis.

Anyway, I hope things continue to go well for you. I am looking forward to watching a bit of FIFA. Now that I have been away from it, perhaps I will be more patient on the dramatic episodes.
 
@lovetocookandsew @tashia @patient 99 @71Beetle,
Thanks for stopping by to say Hi and offer a few words of encouragement.
Kim your pickles look wonderful, they look like the new pickles they serve in NYC, and I bet yours are better! I have been forgetting to stop to ice and elevate as often during the day, seem to be doing OK, so guess I am ready to cut back on ice time. The gasket cam loose on my machine, it was still under warranty, I now have a new shiny Breg running nicely while my knee cools down.
Tashia, Thanks for your good wishes and continuing support.
Carol thanks for sharing what your surgeon said about recovery from revisions being a whole different game. Yes I am galloping, just have to go around the track more than most of us to the finish line.
Lisa, Glad you are at home and recovering, WOW two new knees, in a few months you will be a new woman with your active life coming back! I am going to the pool everyother day, my knee loves the water, as does the rest of me.
My goal is to tread water for 30 minutes by the end of the summer, we will see. Thanks for the reminder about using epsom salts.
Watching Germany descimate Brazil, first lopsided game I have seen in the world cup, sad to see.
Went out to breakfast this morning, and did not use my crutches to walk into the resturant. The distances were short, no problem.
Could not swim this morning, the weather was hot humid, cloudy and threatening lightening and thunder, just enough to keep me out of the water. So hot today the A/C :ice: came on at 6 AM.
Have a good day!
 
Forgetting to stop and ice means you are getting better....yay! If you needed to stop and ice your knee would be yelling at you, so forgetting is a good sign. I'm glad you got a replacement icer-would have been horrible if it was out of warranty and broke. We planned our vacation for September this year so my knee will be much better by then and kids are back in school so we'll avoid the crowds. I don't think I'd enjoy myself walking and rafting, etc. much sooner than that. Going back to work too soon is not good-only you know when your knee is ready and your body is recovered enough from all the stress to manage. Don't go back one minute sooner than you're ready. The cucumbers never get heated or cooked-they are picked, washed, sliced and put right in the jars, then the brine is poured over them-then right into the fridge. They are always really crispy-not limp like bottled pickles in the stores. It is hot all right-I sure don't like this weather. I had to go out early to pick some veggies for dinner and it was already almost too hot for me at 9 am. At 2 am it was still something like 75 out-I hate these hot summers here. But at least we get the river breeze at night cooling us down into the 60s and sometimes the high 50s most of the time-where we used to live it was hot as hades 24-7 and the a/c never stopped for months on end! Your summer weather is almost identical to ours-and they both suck...lol.
 
Going back to work too soon is not good-only you know when your knee is ready and your body is recovered enough from all the stress to manage.
I agree, I am going to wait until I am fully ready to start working.
I forgot a pain pill today, a first for me, don't think I am starting a trend, it just happened. The alarm I have set did not ring.
New ice machine is working better, I think the gasket must maintain a better pressure difference. The pad seems fuller, and colder.
Another hot one tomorrow, we had a pretty big rain storm with thunder and lightening this afternoon. Thank goodness for AC.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pumpkln , that is great about the pill. I wish I could say that. Wait a minute I did last night. this heat is horrible. Well its summer and cann't do anything about it. Take care and remember to go slow. I am so glad that you are going to wait to go back to work. Take care Tashia
 
We have a lush garden for a day :SUNsmile:, then :snow plough:. As close to a lawn mower as I could get, seeing some snow has a cooling effect.
Noticed I have gone down by one pain pill a day, going in the right direction!
 
@Pumpkln, caught up on your thread, you are getting there now allbeit slowly. Probably a good way as you are not yoyoing by overdoing it and then going backwards. I read on another thread that your ROM is hovering around 120 which is great. All your trips to the pool must be helping your overall progress and fitness. I can't wait until I can get in the water and enjoy some weightless exercise.

As you kept telling me slowly slowly does it, it is the toitose that won the race. You will get there with your spirit and determination. Take care.
 
Hi Chris,

Happy to hear you have dropped a pill. That is a great milestone and I do hope you don't experience any added pain as a result.

Will you be watching FIFA this weekend? My husband and youngest son are together in a pool and they are one of 5 remaining entrants left so we will be watching as each game will have an impact on the overall winner. Very exciting! Go Germany!

It has been really warm up here as well. I got out by the pool today but it got so warm that I had to come back into the air conditioning. I cannot wait to be able to soak in the pool again.

What are your plans for the weekend? Hope you have a good one!
 
@71Beetle We will be watching this weekend, I like both teams :reading: who to choose ????
My problem is Messi is my favorte player, and Germany my favorite team, I do like the German goalie.
I throw up my hands and say oy, such a decision. :bath:

@busylizzie ,Going swimming about 3 days a week. I was crushed to read the pool you were hoping to use will be closed, I hope you can find another one. I enjoy it a lot, the only place I can move so easily, and normally.

The velco ripping sound I have been having under my knee cap, is starting to feel irritating, not painful, so guess it is time to call the OS office on Monday.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom