Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

@Silver,
I am using a walker at home, and crutches when I go out. Thanks for the positive feedback about my progress.
 
Hi @pumpkin, Just stopped by to wish you well since we usually meet up in the games room and I realize you just had a recent revision. I hope you are doing better and just wanted to offer my feel better soon. Take good care of yourself.
 
Hi Pumpkln - how are you feeling since the revision? Are you feeling improvements or is it too early to tell? Hope all is well and I appreciate your visit earlier. Take care!
 
Are you feeling improvements or is it too early to tell?
Still way to early to tell, when I weight bear on the revision knee, every soft tissue and muscle wraps around my leg tightly from just above the knee to the ankle, like they are hanging on for dear life. So today, I reduced my weight bearing to toe touch only and am much more comfortable, but I am an unhappy camper in that I seem to be going backwards.
Would like to say I am doing too much, but if I did any less I would be in bed 100% of the time.
I know they did a lot to my knee during the surgery, disturbing all of the soft tissue, removing large parts of the synovium which has to grow back, cutting bones and nerves, pounding, sawing, sanding, reaming, cementing, and balancing the knee, there are three pages of surgical notes with everything that was done :shrug:.
My alarm for night time pain medications is now going off in the middle of :alarm: REM sleep, trying to figure out how to work around this, and still not miss a night time dose. Thinking of adding an hour to the times between pain medications at night and see if this is less disruptive.
:tiredwheel:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry pumpkin. This has been my experience with revision knee: 5 tiny steps forward, 3 bigger steps back. But net somehow a little bit ahead. This recovery really tries ones patience!
 
Thank you for trying to explain it! Until I started reading about the revision recoveries I had no idea how difficult they are even compared to a TKR. Xoxo
 
This has been my experience with revision knee: 5 tiny steps forward, 3 bigger steps back.
Thanks for this @spinfanatic , I feel that way too. I am making progress, I was able to go around 10x each direction on my exercycle, 155mm crank arms, (much shorter than most). It felt really good, could have done more, but know that I would start irritating my knee, more than helping. Am on the ice machine now.
Last night I got on and off the floor without too much effort, using the coffee table to assist. Felt good to do some hamstring stretching and a few leg exercises on the floor.
Thanks @Jozilla for understanding how difficult TKR recovery, and the support you give to many others on their threads. I know it is much appreciated by everyone, including myself. :loveshwr:
 
Hi Chris you are going through the hardest part right now. The early days can be hell and double hell given its a revision. You know a lot about what's going on and how best to deal with it, but even so its a tough time. You know the idea of `going backwards' is so common as is the roller coaster ride. Sometimes a good old moan can help (well it does me). Thinking of you. xx Carol
 
Sending you all my best wishes for your challenging recovery. Enjoy the wine, have just been able to have a glass again myself.
Hugs x
 
Hi there @Pumpkln , I just read thru the revision part of your thread, having noticed that on our
limericks site.
Wow for you! What a trooper you are, with all you are going thru right now.
My THR makes me just a piker.
Continued good recovery for you! I enjoy playing the limericks with you. :friends:
 
Hi @pumpkin, hope you are feeling well. I know I love the limericks. It takes my mind off of other things and lets me unwind.
 
Hi @pumpkin , Chris.

Remember that it's still very early days. Slowly, slowly, you'll make progress. 2 steps forward and one step back - that's the way it goes. But all the while, you are healing and time is on your side.
 
Hi @Pumpkln I was wondering how you're doing and all. I can't believe you've braved the floor-I've been too chicken to date to try it...I'm afraid I'll never get back up again. I did, however, finally sit on the sofa the other day and got back up on my own. Until then I've only sat on it with someone in the room as it's too squishy to easily rise back from. But I somehow just stood up with only my cane for support! The PT was in the other room after I sat, and I stood before she came back in-sure surprised her...lol. I've sooooooo wanted a bath these last few days, I've had the flu (again!) and a hot bath was so needed....sigh. I'm glad you are doing the bike-I ordered a peddle exerciser and hope it arrives soon-I'll be lucky to do 1 round-probably will only do half rounds for a while. I didn't realise a revision was so much harder than a TKR-I'm so sorry you're struggling sometimes. But I know you'll do well, you have such a wonderful attitude and work well. I was so frustrated today, being ill again and housebound, that I finally let myself have a good cry. I don't know if it helped, but it sure didn't hurt. I actually turned off my med timer at night a few days ago-I really needed a block of undisturbed sleep, and it's worked out. I wake up when rested or if my knee aches and take a pill. I'm still using 2 mg Dilaudid every 2 hours. I wish I could take a long lasting pain med, but at least there's one I can take. Had to go without any a few times with this flu-couldn't keep anything down. I hurt sometimes but since I wasn't really moving around other than to the restroom, it wasn't as bad as if I were moving the knee a lot. What was bad was when PT got here I had upchucked the last pain med so had nothing on board. She offered to skip it, but I really didn't want to miss one of my last two in-home PT appt's which would have happened with her schedule this week. It did hurt to try to do anything so we mainly walked that day. But, my ROM is getting really good even through all this-it was 115 when she was here. My knee recovery has been going okay, but my health keeps setting me back. This, too, shall pass. Let me know how you're doing and keep up the great work! Kim
 
Thanks Celle and Kim for stopping by, sorry Kim that you have the flu, I cannot imagine being sick right now.
Did some gently floor exercises today, and the Exercycle 10x in each direction. Still using the walker, my knee is letting me know it is not ready for more weight bearing. It does seem my knee is not as hot or swollen as it was a few days ago. ROM still around 105, I am sure it will slowly but surely increase with time.
115 is wonderful this early in our recoveries.
Happy one month anniversary to Kim! (and me too)
 
Hmmm... Since I was feeling kind of weak today, after reading your post, I felt my knees. . Sure enough, they were warmer than the have been for the last few days. Thanks for reminding me to listen to (and feel) my knees!

I'm glad you got to the floor. That was scary for me for quite a while.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Ok, if you can, please explain to me how to get down to and up from the floor-I should try it but have been chicken. I'll do it with hubby around if I can learn how. If your knee isn't ready for a cane, by all means use the walker. I am lucky to be using just the cane, and I mostly use it for stability now. I'm fighting back from this latest flu-it's weird today and yesterday, like morning sickness. I feel sick and vomit a little all morning, then in the afternoon I begin to feel a little better. Go figure. And no, there is no possibility I am pregnant....:rotfl: Happy one month to you too @Pumpkln ! We are both doing amazingly well! I think you're farther ahead than me but we are both troopers. :cheers:
 
It's really quite easy. It's how you learned as a little kid. Getting down is simple. Bend over and touch the floor, then just swivel your hips and ease your butt down with your hands. Getting up is just the opposite. Lift your butt up with your hands. Swivel so you're walking on hands and feet with your butt in the air and knees just slightly bent. Now, walk your hands toward you and stand.

I found a video that does it the same way as me:

Rising from the floor after bilateral total knee …:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Using a coffee table for arm support, I kneel down on my (right) good knee, into half kneeling, then swivel down to the right cheek. Reverse to go up.
This is how I have been getting on/off the floor for a long time, so I have a lot of practice.
Kim, I think we are doing about the same, we just do different things.
Jeff, glad you listened to your knees, figure you are on your ice machine about now.
 
Back
Top Bottom