Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

Well done. Xxxx prayers for continue healing.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
It has been over a month since I last posted and thought I should up date my progress.
I have been working with my teacher, making great progress, my knee pain is now at a discomfort level, and at least for awhile every day I have "0" pain. :yay: I can sleep through most nights, unless of course mother nature calls.
If I over do, of course I pay with increased pain, trying my best to stay away from the ODIC.
My walking has changed considerably, my gait is smoother, and I no longer rotate through my revision with each step.
Distances I can walk are still limited, I have put this off for now, and will continue working on my gait, adding a little distance at a time. My goal next for next summer is to walk a mile. That may not seem like much for some of you, but that is a big deal for me. I use crutches if I approach the ODIC, just not worth it to tough it out, done more than enough of that and know better.

Yesterday I was able to spot the carpet on my hands and knees, of course it felt funny, but no complaining from my knee today. Looks like I am good to spot the carpet from time to time. Mundane but I will take what I can get.

On another note, I used to play a lot of sports as a kid, comes in handy from time to time. Yesterday I was waiting for my order, a man was walking by me, some how his tablet got launched in my direction. I had caught before I knew what happened. Girl sitting behind me had eyes as big a saucers, she is a soft ball player and was impressed with my catching ability. Good to know my brain can still figure out that kind of stuff. Pretty amazing how our brains work so fast.
:walking:
 
So glad to hear of your progress Chris! We must celebrate the wins! I am convinced, for example, that at 2 1/2 years post knee replacements, I will never be able to kneel comfortably again (a shame since as a quilter, to make the quilt "sandwich" one needs a large area such as a floor, to pin it together!). Yet I am delighted I am able to walk good distances with no thought at all about my "parts." Congrats on the great report. And if ever my tablet goes airborne, I hope you are nearby!
 
Wow, that is quick thinking. Definitely your good deed for the month!

Every recovery is so different. No way can I get on my hands and knees but I can hike over a mile without actually entering the ODIC. I don't know that it is really all that great to put distance on. More likely it is better to just be up and puttering around a few minutes longer each week as you are doing.
 
Hi Pumpkin ..... hey! I can get back on!!!!!!! Hooray! Between Jo and Jamie, they've worked hard on getting me back on. Somehow I couldn't sign on.
It's SO good to hear from you Pumpkin and hear how well you're doing. Some catch too. I was never much of an athlete except for doing freestyle skating. My Ortho. Surgeon told me that's what started injuring my knees ... landing on the right leg all the time, and occasionally the left, when doing a jump.
Since I last chatted with you all, I also had a revision. Things sure are a lot better! One very odd thing did happen ..... I had several months where it just hurt, then I noticed that when I went down steps I was unconsciously turning my right foot just slightly in, so I worked on walking with both feet straight. About a month or so ago, the knee was still hurting, and ..... I went to bed one night, got up in the AM, and nothing! I didn't feel a thing! And now, except for when the weather is bad, I have absolutely no pain at all! I could hardly believe it! I am overjoyed. I have no idea what happened, but it's fine. I think it will always be a little bigger looking than the left knee, til I have to have that one done, but who cares!?
Take care my friend and it's soooooo good to hear from you.
Amberpep - i.e. Barb
:yay::egypdance::froggies::kittymilk::doggie:
 
Barb,
Good to hear from you, and happy to hear you are doing well! How is your dog getting along?
Sorry you had such a hard time getting on, glad it finally worked for you.
:walking:
 
I'm doing great, but my dog isn't doing so hot. Heart murmur is now grade 5, still taking pancreas meds., teeth rotting from puppy mill food....will be cleaned and extracted on Monday.
I can finally say I think I'm over the hump of the RTKR! I am so happy about that. But, it sure was a long
process. My right knee sort of looks like my Dad's did .... big and lumpy! I'm hoping to finally be able to go whitewater rafting again! Now if I can just find someone to go with me! My friends all think I'm nuts!
Take care friend ...... wonderful to hear from you!
Barb
:wave::SUNsmile::flwrysmile::kitty::puppysmooze::froggies:
 
Hi Chris, Reading your post made me feel both happy and sad. Happy because you are so much better. Sad because it reminded me of your long journey and how much you have endured - and not only with your revision. I have recently completed a Mindfulness course. The emphasis is very much about living in the here and now and it seems that's exactly what you are doing. The pleasure you took in being able to clean the carpet jumped out at me.

I wish I could have helped you more on your road to `The Promised Land'. I'd have been pleased if I'd been able to help you even just half as much as you helped me. But all I've got is my sincere good wishes. Don't forget to update your thread - you can stop when you post that your recovery is at the stage when you can catch balls with one hand whilst cleaning the carpet with the other. xx
 
Thanks Carol and Celle,
It has been a long road, single track, with deep potholes and ruts, taking the wrong turn, getting lost, and turning on the lights and getting it.
I could have not done it without the support of everyone here.
You do not know how many people may have read your threads, not feel so alone, find out their recovery is normal, changed how they approached recovery, or learned from your struggles better ways of coping with set backs.
And Carol, I can juggle and am sure I can learn to carpet clean and catch flying objects at the same time.
 
So glad you gave a good report. Hope to have a similar report when ever I can get my appointments set for revision.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
One question I have for you all ..... I do wear shorts when I'm around here and walking the dog, but my scar is long and ugly. I've tried Vit. E, Palmers Stretch Marks Cream, coconut oil, and Vaseline. I know it's been opened twice, but it's sure not pretty .... and some of it is purple yet. Anyone have any suggestions.
I got a mini-stepper, which I have yet to use .... I know I need to, but I've gotten very lazy these past 3 years.
It's good to be back with you all.
abby ...... Barb
 
Follow up on the carpet, the spots were in a traffic pattern, now I have clean little dots in the traffic pattern :heehee:. Going to clean the rest of the carpet. :doh:
No problem with my knees after all the crawling around.
 
Hey Pumpkin, Silver here. I have not been on much. I am so so glad to hear you are slowly healing. My goal is also a mile next summer. My new knee is the boss. So different from the other revised knee. Eventually it will be hauling my bad left one around. They hope as it continues to strengthen that the other will be finally able to heal from my revision last year. I fear my left will never be okay but we will see. Glad I jumped on to see how you are and I hope you keep improving. It is a long, hard road for some of us. Sending lots of continued healing energy.
 
Hi Silver,
Good to hear from you, walking is coming along slowly, like you I am hoping for a mile by next summer. :walking:
Off to the :swim: this morning.
Sending lots of continued healing energy, back your way.
 
Good luck to you. Be careful at store. In Ky people don't care. They will take and nock you over lol... I just ignore them. One time I went in store. Some one made me stumble. My hub went after them. Was funny lol.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Hi Pumpk1n

I've been catching up on your thread. You seem to have turned a corner with your recovery now. I'm ever so pleased for you. You've not had an easy recovery but you've embraced the challenges you've faced, head on and conquered. I'm so pleased for you.

Please take care

Love Nana Moon 27
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom