Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Florida companies are the best, you know! So happy for you. You must be very skilled to acquire another job so quickly. Your family will be thrilled to have you moving back to the Sunshine State, assuming that is the plan. Good call not coming right away - it appears hurricane Erika might be taking a bead on us next week.
 
Congratulations! This is wonderful news!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
It's official. The company increased their initial offer by 15% which I accepted. I start 16 September and am very excited. I have to admit, I was very surprised I was able to survive this summer on the half-salary I received while being on short-term disability.

The new job is remote which means I'm working from home for the most part. This will make taking care of the knees much easier.
 
Yay! The remote operation should also make you second surgery more feasible when you decide to do it -- assuming you and your boss can agree on the best time to be away for a few weeks.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Three month (14 week) update: Saw OS yesterday and got a very good report on the R knee. ROM and flexion great. The only complaints I have is some stiffness in the morning and still having trouble settling down and getting to sleep. I stopped doing any PT or "extra" exercise 6 weeks ago and I still see regular improvement. The only thing I've not attempted is getting down on the floor and back up again.

I totally forgot to take my AM dose of Tylenol Arthritis and didn't feel it until I was in the grocery store with a full cart of groceries. The pain is behind the knee so that's where I'm icing. I've ordered an adjustable bed which will be delivered next weekend. I think sleeping with the my legss elevated may reduce some of the stiffness. The massage feature won't hurt either.:heehee:

The OS says the Left knee isn't as bad as the R was and I could probably get another 1 - 2 years out of the knee. I got a steriod shot in the L knee which seems to be doing the job. The next appt in mid December for either another shot or scheduling surgery. I'd like to put it off as long as possible. The L knee has definitely calmed down as the R has strengthened so maybe I can wait the year.

Working from home (new job starts Wednesday) should be much less stress on the knees. Although I will have to make sure and schedule in pool time at the Y to make sure I keep making progress. Having definite reasons to leave the house will be good for the sanity.

Since the job is 100% remote, I can work from anywhere. The current plan is to relo to Florida (to be nearer to aging parents) in Feb or March when my current lease is up. The ordeal of packing, moving, and driving 1600 miles will be a real test of the state of the knees. Fortunately, I know at least one good OS in Central Florida: thanks, @Slainte.

Sorry for the length of this post. It's been a long time since the last update....
 
Ooh, an adjustable bed with massage! You are living the life, girl. February is a great time to move to Florida. You might get to wear a sweater! So nice to hear you are doing so well.
 
It's amazing what a new knee and a couple of months can do. In early April (2 months before TKA), I went to a knitting conference in a large conference hotel and was in agony. There was so much walking and I was is pain just getting from my room to the classroom. Fast forward to last Saturday and another knitting fair. I drove 2.5 hours each way and walked for several hours on a concrete tradeshow floor without any complaints from the knee. Even made two additional stops with walking before coming home. The next day, the knee was sore and swollen from overdoing it but NO PAIN. This is fantastic!
 
Day 1 of new job has finally arrived! Like most new days, it wasn’t all smooth sailing. My laptop and docking station arrived which means I can access newjob email (YAY). VPN token has not arrived which means I can’t access the corporate intranet or any sites ON the corporate network. It could be Monday before it arrives, so have no idea what job related tasks are on tap for Thursday or Friday. Oh dear, maybe I’ll just have to knit.

This is my first job working 100% remote/from home. It’s nice working in my slumming clothes for sure! Have no idea, though, when I’ll meet my peers/colleagues F2F. For a job with some travel, it was a bit surprising to learn this morning I may have to travel to Indianapolis 8 straight weeks starting in October! Eight weeks of travel will be a very good test of the new knee.
 
Wow, I guess this is my first post in two months. I've been working in Indianapolis, IN since early October. I'm delivering new hire training which means lots of standing, walking, and sitting. The job is doing well and I am really looking forward to Dec 3 when this project ends. On Thanksgiving (11/26), I'm driving home to Buffalo (8hr). On Sunday, I fly back to Indy for the last week. It's been great having my dogs with me.

As for the knee, it's still painful, especially if I bump it into the desk (OUCH) or when it's stretched out at rest. One the one hand, I'm surprised it's still painful after 24 weeks. My OS said at 6 months, I'd at 80%. I'm not sure I would agree I'm there yet. When it hurts, it's almost as bad as pre-Sx but it's not a lingering pain, more of a short stab and then it subsides. I'm still on 200 mg Celebrex and Tylenol Arthritis. I see the OS for a six month check in a couple of weeks so I'll see if he thinks anything's wrong. I doubt it; i think it's just my expectations are out of whack.

Since I've been in Indy, I've not really been here much so I hope everyone's doing as they expect!

Thanks for listening.
 
I've missed you. I'm glad the job is going well. I'm sorry you're experiencing as much pain as you are. It doesn't sound as if anything is wrong enough to be concerned about, but I would definitely make sure it gets discussed at your six month follow up to be certain of that.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Glad you are able to be with your dogs! Hope your OS tells you all is well.
 
It could just be related to the fact that you're on your feet a lot for work. How does it feel when you have a low activity day?
 
Dec 18 Update: 6 months and 1 week with new Right knee. After driving 18 hours from Buffalo to Winter Park, Florida. Things are a bit stiff. My L hand/thumb is actually worse then the knee but the knee is still complaining if I don't move enough. The next month or so will be really tough as I need to find a new place to live, get my stuff moved and unpacked, help my folks pack/move to their new home in a continuing care retirement facility and, oh yeah, continue to work.
It's a good thing I have a job where I can work anyone and an understanding boss whose flexible about deadlines.

As for the R knee, it's still sore sometimes and stiff sometimes. I'm still not climbing stairs 100% with one foot. Mostly, because I don't encounter that many stairs. When I do, however, I can go down one foot at a time, up, I need to both feet on the stair. I'm really glad to have a great Ortho practice nearby and based on @Slainte recommendation, probably a new OS as well. The OS who did the Right knee in June says I should be able to get another year or so out of the L so that's what I'm hoping for.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
 
It sounds as if you're doing very well. :yay::happydance:

Best wishes for all the busy things you have to do.
 
The Right knee is doing well. Looking forward to seeing new OS in Orlando, the new home city. I've put an offer in on an house and hope to close in February. The Left knee is also doing good so hoping to defer surgery for a year or more.

Happy New Year!
 
I'm now 13 months post SX and am pleased for the most part.

No pain and stairs still aren't my friend but I can do them if I have to. The only thing bothering me is feeling "crunchies" when getting up from a seared position. The OS says it's just scar tissue being scratched and nothing to worry about.

The other knee is doing fine.

Hope all is well for everyone
 
Stairs should continue to improve. Thanks for checking in with us.
 
Good to hear from you. Hope all goes through quickly and efficiently on the house.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Just over two years ago, I found Bone Smart and it was a great help during my surgery and recovery. It's been almost a year since my last post and I thought I'd provide another update.

While my recovery was relatively smooth and stress free, I never regained a comfort level with stairs and extensive walking. The knee either hurt or felt swollen. I put this down to being out of shape generally and leading a sedentary lifestyle. In Jan, I saw a new Orthopaedic surgeon who confirmed the TKR parts are where they should be and suggested physio to build up the muscles.

In Feb, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic which was a total wake up call for me. I joined the local Y and started going to an Aqua Zumba class and walking in the pool twice a week. The additional exercise (and low-fat diet) have been very good to me as I've lost 14 pounds in 6 weeks. Unfortunately, the additional exercise has aggravated the knee pain and swelling. I finally made an appointment for a physio eval and learned my troubles were caused by pes anserine bursitis. I've started a stretching program which should help. The PT also has me riding the recumbent bike. I'm continuing the pool work and in a couple of weeks plan to include the bike into my workout at the Y.

I'm a little torqued at the two Ortho docs I've seen in Orlando, didn't catch the bursitis/tendinitis. It's been bothering me for a YEAR. Hope I've not done permanent damage...

Not sure how long it will take for things to feel "normal." My takeaway from this is too not let the OS off the hook. Pain is pain and shouldn't be ignored.

Time for another round of exercises and Ice.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom