Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Wow. I just re-read my entire thread for the first time. Realized I never felt 100% fixed and now I know why. The implant was the problem.

I’ve been trying to determine how much time to take off work this time and I think my plan of 2 weeks might work. Then I can start a phased return depending on lucidity. I spend a lot of on Conference calls which I can take from my bed, a recliner, or the sofa. Now, I know every Surgery is different and this recovery will be different than the first. I can still hope and plan, right?
 
After your revision your energy drain will be way down for at least a month or so. That also includes confusion. It extremely hard to concentrate during the drain, so any work you might be able to do will take much, much longer than before your surgery. And you will need to check for mistakes! We can do some dumb things while in the energy drain and brain fog!
 
Good Point, Sistersinhim. Fortunately, my boss and work are very flexible and if I need more time off, it won't be a problem. Since I wasn't working after the first one (Job ended day after surgery), I wasn't trying to do much (except look for another job)! In fact, it was 8 weeks before I really got serious with the job hunt and landed the job I have now.
 
You are blessed to have a very understanding boss! Let your knee be your guide!
 
The revision countdown begins. The Revision surgery is scheduled for March 15 and I will be very busy between now and then.
  • Monday, fly to Kansas City for four-day work trip changing planes in ATL.
  • Home for a week
  • March 6, fly to Indianapolis for three-day work trip changing planes in Detroit.
  • March 12, 2.5 hour trip each way for pre-op work. Nice birthday present.
  • March 14, taking train to Jacksonville the day before surgery.
My pain is pretty constant at a 6 and this with max NSAIDs, Tylenol and occasionally Oxy at night to sleep as pain wakes me up at night. I’m exhausted just thinking about all of this.

I am ready for Recovery with LoungeDr, electric Cryo-cuff, bath seat, and bed tray. My niece is staying for five days and I’ll decide before she leaves if I need to hire help.
 
Take advantage of grocery shopping online, Walmart does it in Ohio, so probably other places, too. I don’t know if they deliver but hopefully a friend could pick it up for you. Other stores probably do also.

I shopped as much as I could before surgery. I stocked up ( more like stock piled!) on non perishable items so that there would be less to shop for after.

That’s nice your niece is coming for the first 5 days home!
 
I just ordered online from Walmart and did my grocery shopping last week because I've been under the weather. They have free shipping, but no frozen foods or perishables available. Sam's online shopping where they pull everything for you and you buy ahead of time. You just go to their pickup area to get your order. Another really nice time saver! Plus it saves all that walking through the store!
 
I’ve been trying to determine how much time to take off work this time and I think my plan of 2 weeks might work. Then I can start a phased return depending on lucidity. I spend a lot of on Conference calls which I can take from my bed, a recliner, or the sofa. Now, I know every Surgery is different and this recovery will be different than the first. I can still hope and plan, right?
We do recommend 12 weeks off work, and I think your plan is rather optimistic. See how you go, but with a revision you will take just as long to recover as you did from your original surgery.
 
I’m counting the days now. Spoke to the Pre-Op nurse at Mayo today to determine if any additional Pre-op testing is needed. None expected. I’m stopping multivitamins and Advil as of today.

My cold and ear infection are mostly resolved. Still have a lingering cough which is probably allergies.

My pre-Op appointment is Monday and I have a list questions for the OS including: what anesthesia does he prefer (spinal or GA); expected duration of hospital stay; whether or not they use hospitalists; pain management plan; what will he do with the original implant; waterproof bandage, etc.

I already know he uses glue, doesn’t use a cryocuff (I have one from original TKA); doesn’t use CPM; recommends TEDs stockings.

This weekend is for stocking up on recovery friendly foods.

Have I missed anything?
 
I’m counting the days now. Spoke to the Pre-Op nurse at Mayo today to determine if any additional Pre-op testing is needed. None expected. I’m stopping multivitamins and Advil as of today.

My cold and ear infection are mostly resolved. Still have a lingering cough which is probably allergies.

My pre-Op appointment is Monday and I have a list questions for the OS including: what anesthesia does he prefer (spinal or GA); expected duration of hospital stay; whether or not they use hospitalists; pain management plan; what will he do with the original implant; waterproof bandage, etc.

I already know he uses glue, doesn’t use a cryocuff (I have one from original TKA); doesn’t use CPM; recommends TEDs stockings.

This weekend is for stocking up on recovery friendly foods.

Have I missed anything?

Wishing you the best on your surgery! Since this is your second go-round, you probably know what you’ll need, but something that occurs to me: plenty of ice for your ice (cryo) machine. Another huge help to me was a thing we got to make getting on and off the toilet easier. It has arms (like a chair) and a bar that fits across the back of the toilet seat area. It’s not “intrusive” at all and didn’t cost much. (Got it at Walgreens.) Twelve weeks out of my knee replacement and I’m still using it. Also, laxatives usually really are miserable for me to use for constipation (from pain meds), but I’ve found one that is easy on my system and effective: Miralax.
Don’t know if any of this is relevant or helpful to you, but there it is. Shooting up a prayer for your surgery and recovery.
 
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm good with the toilet situation as mine is a comfort height and a very small bathroom so I can actually use the sink and windowsill to help me get up.

For the cryo cuff, I purchased six pint size bottles and put them in the freezer. Three of them fit in the cryo cuff so the cold water stays cold for a long time. Then, I just switch the ones from the machine with the ones in the freezer. So much easier than schlepping water.
 
Oh yeah, I agree about the frozen water bottles. They worked like a charm and lasted so much longer than the ice cubes.
 
Just completed the Pre-Op appointments and am cleared for revision surgery on the 15th (Thursday). What a way to spend a birthday. I like what I've learned though:
- will be getting a spinal and blocks rather than GA, which is good.
- incision will be closed with glue and covered with a clear waterproof bandage. I'm looking forward to taking a shower when I come home.

I had to sign a paper acknowledging the dangers of opioids and that I will only get them from my OS. They won't send me home with enough to last until the wound check (two weeks post op). I have to count the pills and call for a paper RX to be mailed with three days notice.

The OS has two plans for my surgery. He seems to think the instability of the implant (with both flex and extension) may be related to the size of the plastic separator between the two pieces of the implant. He's going to try different spacers and if he can achieve stability both ways, then he's going to just replace the spacer.

Plan B is a complete replacement with a Stryker implant.

@Josephine, have you heard anything about this type of option?
 
I'm following your thread with special interest because I too have DePuy Attune implants, though mine so far are giving me no trouble at all. One never knows what will happen down the road, though. :unsure: I hope you get a good resolution!

You're fortunate that in FL the doctor can mail you an opioid prescription. In many states, including mine, you have to physically pick up the script to take it to the pharmacy. It's good your medical team has communicated about how this will all work to you ahead of time. Post-surgery is no time to be trying to figure out the rules! Sounds like you're in good hands.
 
I, too, am glad they are organized. It sounds like they also take pain management seriously. I guess I'll have to wait and see what I come home with.

The best news of all is the small collection of oxy I still have from the original surgery. So I should be set.
 
The OS has two plans for my surgery. He seems to think the instability of the implant (with both flex and extension) may be related to the size of the plastic separator between the two pieces of the implant. He's going to try different spacers and if he can achieve stability both ways, then he's going to just replace the spacer. @Josephine, have you heard anything about this type of option?
Many times! Many, many times.
 
So, @Josephine, do you have any suggestions or advice as to whether or not I should care which option the OS chooses? Will my recovery be any different?
 
In your shoes, I wouldn't care at all. He's going to fix it - that's all you need to focus on!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom