Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Just got back from my 7 week post op check with the OS and everything's good. In fact, my compliants (trouble falling asleep and pain around knee) are completely normal for 6 - 7 weeks. Being in the "sweet spot" sets me up for having a good experience with the 2nd knee in September. Knock on wood.

He's also letting me stop formal PT "for good behavior" and also to focus my energy on getting ready for the Left surgery. While I won't be doing any formal PT, I will start going to the Y a couple of times a week and doing the same exercises in the pool. Also, I'll be doing more walking next week since I'll have my two dogs back. I am so excited about going to Florida on Saturday to get them. I

Christa
 
Safe travels! Do you have a date for your September surgery?
 
Thanks. The L knee will be done on the 14th. I've started a 2nd Pre-op thread for it.

Of course, if I get a job before the 14th, I will cancel the surgery and reschedule for late 2015 or early 2016 under the new insurance. I don't think it will be good form to start a new job and immediately go out on leave. LOL
 
You'll enjoy having the pups back. Safe travels to bring them home.
 
Arrived in Orlando without incident. I sat on the left aisle so was able to stretch my R leg out somewhat. I took advantage of the wheelchair service in Orlando. After a lunch out, got back to the folks place and iced, elevated, and medicated. I also took the first daytime nap I've taken in a couple of weeks. In bed now, icing and elevating so hoping for a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is a family lunch to celebrate my brother's birthday. Not sure if I'll be able to elevate at restaurant...

And, Monday is reuniting with my girls: Oreo and Riley.
 
Welcome to Orlando! Is it rainy enough for you? And be sure to have a barrier between you and your pups when they first see you. They will be so happy.
 
My folks live in Winter Park and so I'm used to the rain! Yesterday's rain was a nice touch for napping! Today is the birthday lunch which will be nice to see everyone. I actually had a pretty good night's sleep. I iced and elevated for a bit while I was reading in bed.
 
Glad you were able to rest in a different bed. I am in Maitland, so we are right next door! Enjoy your lunch!
 
What a day...

Headed over to reunite with the dogs. YAY.

The friend has three dogs of her own and all of them are friendly and harmless. The French Bulldog jumped up to greet Mom and scratched her leg. My mom has VERY thin skin and the scratch ended up being a 6" scrape on her shin. Blood was everywhere. A call to 911 was made and the EMTs were there w/in 5 minutes.

They wrapped her leg and took her to the local Emergency Department. Dad rode in the ambulance and I followed in their car. 3 internal stitches, 5 external stitches, antibiotics, tetanus, and pain meds later we were discharged. My knee was not happy but I was a good daughter and walked way too much parking and fetching the car.

After dropping me back at my friend's house, they headed for home (1.5 hours away). When they stopped to pick up the prescriptions at the grocery near their home, they couldn't start the car. Reason? I still had their key fob (they have a keyless car). Dad had to take a taxi home, get the spare key, and return to the grocery. Fortunately, Mom is doing fine and will hear just fine. I, OTOH, feel so bad/guilty for this even happening...

Once they left, I took some Oxy and rested until my friend got home. My dogs were so glad to see me. One is curled up in her bed and the is stretched out next to me in bed. Here's to a quieter tomorrow.


RTKA 8 June 2015
LTKA 14 Sept 2015 (sched)
 
What a crazy run of events! I feel bad for your mom, but it was not your fault. Just an accident. And having their key fob! You wouldn't have had it if you had not been the dutiful daughter and schlepped back and forth to the car. No good deed goes unpunished, huh?

Glad you got your dogs and are resting. Hope your night has sweet dreams and restorative healing.
 
I'm so sorry about what happened to your mom. You've just illustrated why I detest those key fobs (although, in the ones we've had in rental cars, a notice comes on the dash when the fob is out of range, maybe your dad missed the message).

Nice to be with your pups again!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thanks Jean and Joan.

The key fob is on it's way back and I've checked in with Mom. She's doing fine; taking it easy and just needs Tylenol for the pain.

I'm amazed all the activity didn't send me straight to the ODIC! Minimal pain today and swelling is moderate as well. Hanging at my friends house with the five dogs (my two and her three). They are all asleep and I'm icing and elevating.

All is good.


RTKA 8 June 2015
LTKA 14 Sept 2015 (sched)
 
I hope you have just been having too much fun with your dogs to post. Just wondering how you are doing.
 
Thanks for the reminder. We've been home almost a week and the dogs have settled down. I'm continuing the routine (feeding/walking) they got used to Florida. My knee is not really happy right now. It's swollen and quite sore. I think it's a result of the extra walking and playing with the dogs. I've gone back to icing every couple of hours and keeping it elevated. I need to return to the Y and exercise in the pool but haven't got around to it yet. I'm still taking 10 mg of Oxycodone 1 - 2 a day. Here's a pix of them to enjoy...

The job front is looking good as I have a second interview today for one job and expect to hear about a second interview with another in the next day or two.

Christa
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Revision #3 Journey
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 255
Oh, cute puppies! Sorry for your discomfort. Hope it will be quite temporary
 
Christa, I can see how you could get carried away playing with them. Hoping all goes well with the interviews! I'm sorry you're uncomfortable now, and I hope it's temporary. The pool work I've been doing helped tremendously.
 
Just realized I've not posted in awhile. I'm at 10 weeks out now and think I'm right on schedule with the "typical" recovery. The R knee is still swollen and sore almost all the way around the knee cap. During the day the pain ranges from 1-3. At night, it jumps to 5-7 and is impossible to get comfy and sleep without 10mg of Oxy. Otherwise, I'm taking 200 mg Celebrex (NSAID) and 1300 mg Tylenol 2x per day. My stamina is increasing although I find it painful to sit with my legs bent for more than 20 minutes.

The L knee is complaining as much if not more than the R and I'm really glad the TKR is scheduled for 14 Sept. Then again, should I receive a job offer (and I hope to get one on Friday or Monday), I'm thinking I should postpone SX until new insurance is available. I can't see me telling the new boss, I'm really thrilled about the job but I can't start until mid-October. Then again, if HR drags its feet, the start date offered by New Job might not be until 1 October which would be 2 weeks post-op which MIGHT be doable on a PT basis, right?

Okay, now is the time for someone (many someone's) to help me come to my senses. Any takers?
 
So many unknowns. I hope everything lines up to work well for you. Two weeks sounds awfully early, but I can understand the pressure to do so if the offer comes in.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Two weeks is early. Hmmm. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. And wouldn't you rather have it behind you as you start your new job? I went back to work full time at 3 1/2 weeks, to a desk job that I could do in my sleep. Good thing, too, since I was fairly comatose that first week. Keep your options open, see how the offer progresses, then decide which way to jump. Hope it all works out so that you get the best of both worlds.
 
Two updates for today....

I went to a new place and got a pedicure. It's so nice to be pampered. The day spa is in an older house and I had to climb 4 steps to enter the building and then another 4 to get to the service area. This is the first place I've been to since my SX on June 8 with stairs. Going down was a piece of cake and I did them normally. Going up was almost as good except for the last step where I needed to switch legs and use the non-operated leg to push off/up.

I went for the pedicure in celebration because I received a JOB OFFER today. We still negotiating salary but I intend to accept. Even though the company is in Florida, I won't be moving right away as I will be working from home for the most part. There is a local office but I don't think I'll be expected to work from there. As y'all can imagine, many details are still be worked out.

With a projected mid-September start date, I'm postponing my L TKA until December or January. Need to wait until new insurance and other leave details are confirmed. In the meantime, I'll survive with steroid shots and NSAIDs. Working from home means I can ice/elevate as needed and change position when I need to.

I am so relieved to have a job again.
 
Back
Top Bottom