Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Back from the PT facility. Eval was conducted by a PT with a student doing one of her clinicals for her PhD in PT. They took all sorts of measurements. Even though R knee is swollen and sore, the ROM was 116 (Flex - 9). When I left the rehab, ROM was 100 so this is a grand improvement and I was concerned I would have much if any.

Scheduled 2 PT sessions in the pool for next week. Hoping to gather a set of exercises I can do on my own in the pool at the Y. Not sure how many weeks they'll think I'll need.

Am doing pretty good trying to get off the Oxy. Took first dose (10 mg) today after getting back from PT eval.

Christa


RTKA 8 June 2015
 
I started my outpatient PT with a student finishing her first year of graduate work in a PhD program. She will be a wonderful PT someday. She was careful but got good coaching the certified PT guy (whom I really like). I enjoyed watching her work and learn -- even if it was on me.

Good luck with the Oxy wean down.
 
Had a good outing today. A friend drove me all over WNY from Lancaster north to Lockport. We spent 4 hours in the car and had a great lunch in a restaurant overlooking a harbor off Lake Ontario. The car ride was fine until we got to the restaurant. Ouch, the fews yards were very stiff. I took a cane and only used it when we decided to walk down to the boat slips. The incline up and back wasn't bad, but my knee wasn't happen. I made the mistake of not using the handicapped washroom as I thought I was going to have to call for help in getting down (and up) to the toilet. Note to self: When they're available, USE the handicapped facilities!

Came home, took 1250 mg of Tylenol and iced. After a couple of very restless hours, I'm giving in and taking the Oxy and more icing.

It was great getting out of the house and the weather was perfect. I foresee a very quiet Sunday ahead.


RTKA 8 June 2015
 
Sounds like you were on the edge of what you were comfortable with. Only thing I would have done differently was to bring the cryo cuff. And use the handicapped stall. :)

Glad you had such a nice outing.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I'm about 3 weeks ahead of you. Wow, I couldn't have handled that kind of car ride that early. It is nice to get out though.
 
Sounds like you were on the edge of what you were comfortable with. Only thing I would have done differently was to bring the cryo cuff. And use the handicapped stall. :)

You're right, I hit the edge. Another 1/2 and I probably would have be crawling to the front door. Re the cryo-cuff, I've not used it since coming home from rehab (3 weeks ago), I rely on 2 bags of peas. They last about 45
minutes. Do you think icing for a couple of hours instead would make a difference?

@Nilbog, I never even gave it a thought, silly me. I just knew we weren't going to be doing much walking. In fact, according to my Fitbit, I've only walked 1580 steps so far.

Regardless, I'm having dinner, took 10mg Oxy and will ice again after dinner.
 
It's the riding in the car that's so wearing at this point in recovery. After a day like today, wonderful as it was, a little extra icing is a good idea.

I came upstairs for bed and realized I didn't take my Tylenol this morning, and I did a bunch of work today. No wonder I was feeling a little stiff!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
You are so right about that. Two rounds of icing, meds (including normal NSAID and Oxy) and I feel much better. Time for a hot shower and my bed.

I've had a few days when I forgot my meds. They were never in sequence, though. Wonder how long it will be before I have 2 "good" days in a row?


RTKA 8 June 2015
 
It's still very early days in your recovery @celynda
Probably what you did with your long day out was a bit much for your knee at this stage, although I'm sure it did wonders for your spirits!
 
@Celle, so true. I keep forgetting it's relatively early. I had errands for today but think I'll postpone them until tomorrow and just spend today, resting and doing a set of exercises. As you (and everyone here on the forum) can imagine, it is very frustrating to "think" you are ready for something and fine out you really aren't.

Good Thing to learn. Have a great day!
 
I think we can all sympathise with your frustration, as we've been there, too. Hang in there - in the end, it's worth being patient.
 
I am officially a double member of the ODIC. My left thumb and index finger has been bothering me for a couple of years on and off. It has gotten worse since R TKA as I've using it with the walker and the cane and, of course, getting in/out of chairs, beds, etc. I saw the hand PA at my OS group - really liked her. DX: severe OA in the left thumb and index trigger finger. The OA is bad enough that she's ready to schedule a thumb joint replacement (OUCH). nb: is there a site like BS for the hand?

We settled today for two cortisone shorts. One in the thumb and one in the index finger. Shots in the hands hurt like hell and are even worse the second day. So I came home and iced both hand and knees (good thing I have 4 bags of peas). Then went for a massage at the local Y. This was great. Then I stopped at the grocery and got 6 bags of stuff. Hopefully, I won't have to go to the grocery for another week.

Before writing this update, I completed an online job application in preparation for a job interview on Thursday, wish me luck. A few more emails and then it's ice and Oxy for me.

Kill me now, please.
 
Best of luck with your job interview. Ouch for the hand. Mine, apparently, is carpal tunnel, and I'm having the release surgery on Thursday for that. I hope I get good results, because it's gotten quite miserable this year with no other relief in sight.
 
Yesterday was a good day as I was pleasantly surprised at how painless my left hand was the day after the cortisone shots. The splint really helped.

Today was the first day of my PT in the pool. It was a very good session and included the following activities:
- 4 laps walking the pool (about 25 yards)
- marches - 30 each leg
- squats - 30 each leg
- back kick/bends - 30 each leg
- chair bicycling - 5 mins
- lunges/hamstring stretches - 5 ea leg

Then the PT spent about 15 min doing gentle stretching and massaging the leg knee and incision.
When I got out of the pool, I used the steps normally - imagine my surprise.

I'm scheduled for pool PT 2x week for next 2 weeks. The PT said not to do the regular exercises on days I'm at the pool.

So far, so good.


RTKA 8 June 2015
 
I looked through a lot of the threads and didn't see anything about this, so if I've missed something, please @Josephine or @Jamie please point me in the right direction.

I'm 5.5 weeks out and have noticed something odd this week. When I stand up and walk, there's a tight/heavy feeling at the top of the kneecap. It doesn't hurt just very stiff and sore. The PT today said it was scar tissue and would break up with massage. Does this make sense. I can tell it's affecting my gait.

Thanks!


RTKA 8 June 2015
 
@Jamie, thanks for your response to my post on Roxie's thread. Wish there was an easy way to copy/paste between threads.

Anyway, I have tried to scale things back. I ice 3-4 times a day for an hour at a time. My outside activities are limited to PT and the 2-3 x per week grocery/Target runs. I've pretty much eliminated the narcotics from the daytime regimen. May take 10mg of Oxycodone at night if I have trouble sleeping. Otherwise, I take 200 mg Celebrex 1x per daily and 2 625mg Tylenol Arthritis 2-3 x per day. Which pain med might be more effective for this kind of stiffness?

Thanks for indulging me here. I've passed through the Depression phase (thanks to Effexor and Welbuterin) and now I think I am in the Bored Stiff phase; with occasional visits to the ODIC.
 
I've passed through the Depression phase (thanks to Effexor and Welbuterin) and now I think I am in the Bored Stiff phase; with occasional visits to the ODIC.
:rotfl: This is how it goes with most of us. It's only temporary....patience, patience, patience! You'll get there.
 
Patience has never been my strong suit. Maybe I should consider the Oxy my "patience" pills?.
:prayer:
 
Sometimes that really helps. Drugs do have a purpose in recovery if it helps you be more comfortable.
 
I'm now at 6.5 weeks and am feeling a bit stuck.

The heavy/soreness at the top of the knee has been around for two weeks. At PT today, the therapist isolated the pain to my hamstrings so she gave me another stretch to try: stand on a stair, tightened the entire leg and drop my heel for a count of 10. She also suggested I take the Oxy more frequently.

I'll give it a try on the days I don't go to therapy. I see the OS next on the 31st. Hopefully this will be resolved by then.




RTKA 8 June 2015
LTKA 14 Sept 2015 (sched)
 
Back
Top Bottom