Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

I was trying to keep the PT happy and at the same time follow the mantras as explained here.
Time for a re-think: You don't have to keep the PT happy. She/he has to keep you and your knee happy. Your knee is the most important consideration. Listen to the knee.
 
Yes, you want to do a few exercises but also listen to the knee. I hope today is a nice restful day for you.
 
Post Op 18 days Update:

Checked out of rehab facility yesterday and was so glad to leave. Final ROM was 100/10. First night at home wasn't too bad. I very carefully took a shower using the shower stool I purchased from Amazon. Slept in my own bed and didn't wake up once for pain meds or to visit bathroom :yes:. I remember sleeping on both sides and my stomach, heaven.

In-home PT came this morning for an assessment. PT should be a 2x for two weeks. Expecting the OT assessment next week.

Am using cane for inside walking. Have even been known to take a few steps unassisted.

Pain is minimal (~2) and I've only taken 1 Oxycontin XR today. I am very pleased and relieved to feel as good as I do. Time for some ice and a mid morning nap.
 
You sound WONDERFUL!!!! SO happy for you!! 20 days left for me!!
 
You and Clair are going to be a good team.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@celynda, great report! Isnt it a wonderful feeling to sleep in your own bed?? I do hope that because you didn't wake up for meds that you weren't in too much pain this morning! Keep up the good work! You're well in the way to recovery!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Congratulations on being home and sleeping soundly on night one! You seem to be doing great!
 
Great to hear you are home and doing so well. Improvements should continue to be seen week by week--just don't go crazy and join the ODIC. :wink:
 
Today's big adventure was taking a bag of trash out to the trash room using the walker. The distance was probably 200 yards. Amazed at how exhausting it was... Pain is still managed with just the Oxy XR. Haven't needed the breakthrough Oxy for a couple of days. Wondering if I should stop taking the XR during the day and take 5 - 10 mg of Oxycodone every four hours PRN. Have 3 week follow up with OS tomorrow. Looking for answers to following questions:
  1. When can I drive?
  2. When can I get in a pool?
  3. When will I be up to a 2 hour flight?
  4. When can/should I start tapering the meds?
  5. How long to continue the aspirin?
  6. When should I consider having the L knee replaced. It's almost as bad as the R and is being overused while the R is healing. If I have it done soon, it will be relatively inexpensive for me as I will only need to cover the COBRA premiums as I've already hit the out-of-pocket maximum for the year. If I wait, I'll have to start over with co-pays, etc. In addition to recovering from the RTKR, I am also looking for a new job as the current ends on 30 June. If I get a new job right away, it wouldn't be good form to go out on disability again so soon. OTOH, if I have the Left knee done this summer, I won't be ready for a new job until Sept or later which will do some serious harm to the savings.
It's probably a good sign with all these questions floating about. Of course, with the OS visit tomorrow, I may be wiped out and amazed I even THOUGHT about doing anything more than resting, icing, and elevating. Thanks for the ramble. I'd appreciate thoughts and suggestions on the timing of the 2nd surgery.

Christa
 
It is probably too soon to start tapering the meds, but you could try going with just the oxcodone every 4 hours and see how it goes. Did you ask your doc today about the meds & 2nd knee?
 
The post-op visit went well today. Saw the OS's PA and asked her all my questions. Starting today, I'm tapering off the XR Oxy by taking it only once a day for three days and then once every other day for 4 days. At that point, I should be able to drive. Will just need to watch when I take the Oxycodone. My OS general likes to wait 12 weeks before doing the 2nd TKR. PA is going to talk with OS re my particular factors and see about doing it sooner.

This was the first outing since the surgery and boy was it exhausting. I came home, iced, took 10mg of Oxycodone and basically crashed. Still managed a couple of sets of stretches.

Tomorrow is first day of in home PT. Wish me luck.


RTKA 8 June 2015
 
How are you doing now that you are on your new med schedule and have had PT?
 
Doing pretty good. Am taking the Oxy XR at night and so far so good. Had 2nd of 4 in home PT sessions today and she added more exercises to the list: Standing Straight Leg Raises (10); Going up/down one stair only; Stair touches (10 each with each leg and then alternating). Trying to do this group of exercises once a day in additon to the original group: Quad Sets; Straight Leg Raises; Long Arc Kicks and Short Arc kicks.

After PT this morning, had an outing to the grocery for produce. Was gone for 30 minutes and really relieved to get home, take 10mg of Oxycodone, and ice.

I heard back from OS office and he's willing to consider doing the L TKA in 3 - 4 weeks. Waiting to hear from scheduler now.
 
POST OP DAY 27 Update:
Had a couple of outings this weekend. Yesterday, went to the grocery with a neighbor. Actually managed to walk the width of the store as I needed items from frozen foods (far end) to produce and the bakery (near front door). I put the cane in the grocery cart and managed okay. Of course, icing, elevation, and rest was called for when I got home.

Today, I drove for the first time. I'm 4 weeks from Sx tomorrow so I figured it was close enough... I took 10 mg of Oxy before bed last night and haven't take any since. I am taking Celebrex 2x a day and am pleased to be tapering off the meds as much. Back to the drive. It was to a farmers market about 4 blocks away. A distance that should be walkable some day. No issues with driving either way. The market is in a parking lot so the surface was pretty even. I took the cane and used it more for a confidence builder than support.

Tomorrow, I'm driving a bit further to the town hall to get a new disabled parking permit.

I'm sleeping well at night; with only one (at most) trip to the bathroom. I can sleep on both sides as well as my stomach or back. Generally, I am a stomach sleeper so this is a good thing.

While I am in the house, I rarely use the cane as I walk okay without it. I am still very stiff with more soreness than pain. My gait is uneven because of the stiffness but I am careful to walk properly (heel, toe).

I am really missing my two dogs and get teary when I think about them too much. I talk with their foster mom every day.

Hope to hear tomorrow or Tuesday about scheduling the Left knee. Also kicking the job search into gear.
 
I may have joined the ODIC today. I drove to get the new disabled parking pass. Of course, the entrance to the building without stairs was as far away from the office I needed as you could get. Then I went to Target for TP. I also did a few sets of stair touches and steps along with straight leg raises, quad sets, and foot pumps. I do these at least 3 - 5 times a day whenever I think of them. I do 1 set of 10 with both legs. After a pill, ice, and elevation, I walked for 20 minutes after it cooled off this evening. The pain is more like a 5 this evening and it's more around the knee cap than on top.

I've started wearing my Fitbit last week to keep track of my steps. Today I walked 1.1 miles (~2900 steps) which is definitely the most steps since I've started tracking them. Is a mile too much walking for 4 weeks post op?

During the day, I go between extreme cabin fever and weepy. Even though I know this is all "normal" it's still very frustrating...

After reading what I just wrote, I am not sure if it makes sense to anyone. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Christa



RTKA 8 June 2015
 
Sounds like you have jointed the ODIC for sure. That was a lot more exercise than I got at 5 weeks. I don't know far I was walking as the pedometer didn't work at the incredibly slow rate I was traveling, suspect it was more like 1/2 mile. Eh, take it easy for a day or two or three and take the pills if you need them! Knee will feel better. Walking is supposed to be the best exercise but you already did the driving and walking, no need to add more. Maybe on errand days no extra walking for a while longer? A lot of the regular PT exercises irritated my knee too, I'd be counting those as steps as well. Except for ankle pumps, I like those unless my knee is really tired and sore and some days even then. I'd do those and glut squeezes so at least I was doing something even though actual knee work was too much for that day.
 
Four weeks out, I averaged 3080 steps per day with my highest day recording 4561 steps, so if you feel okay or recover after an elevation and icing session, you're probably in the ballpark. It all depends upon how YOU feel. In miles, that was an average of 1.65 miles per day with my high day being 2.45 miles.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I may have joined the ODIC today. I drove to get the new disabled parking pass. Of course, the entrance to the building without stairs was as far away from the office I needed as you could get. Then I went to Target for TP. I also did a few sets of stair touches and steps along with straight leg raises, quad sets, and foot pumps. I do these at least 3 - 5 times a day whenever I think of them. I do 1 set of 10 with both legs. After a pill, ice, and elevation, I walked for 20 minutes after it cooled off this evening. The pain is more like a 5 this evening and it's more around the knee cap than on top.
When you have a couple of outings, it's a good idea to skip the exercises that day - you get enough exercise during the outings. On those days, spend more time resting, icing and elevating.

There's really no need to do your exercises so often. once a day is enough.
 
Thanks, @Celle, @PolarBear60, and @KYata for your responses. I feel a lot better now and realize I shouldn't be pushing myself so hard.

The in-home PT came this morning and discharged me. So now, I'm on my own for PT. which is okay as I know the exercises to do.

I've an appt with the OS on Thursday to discuss doing the Left TKA as soon as he has an opening. Since it's so hot outside, I may try and do some exercising at the local Y until the 2nd surgery happens.


RTKA 8 June 2015
 
July 9 update: Saw doc and PA today to discuss doing the L knee. His general rule is waiting 12 weeks between knees. However, he'll do the L knee sooner if I stay off the narcotics (Oxy 20mg XR and Oxy 5mg PRN) for 3 weeks. He also wants me to do outpatient PT 2x in the meantime. So, I've made an appt for a practice with a reputation for being hands on and they have a pool.

I'm targeting August 10 which gives me 5 weeks to get off the Oxy and strengthen both legs. Also, the PT I liked from the first rehab will be back from vacation then :).

Doc said I was doing really well with the R knee considering I'm 4.5 weeks post-op. I am also able to get rid of the TEDs stockings. He also said he'd be able to approve the short-term disability for up 6 months if needed for both knees to recover. In the meantime, I am continuing to look for a job. Should one come along before the L knee surgery, I'll postpone the surgery until the Christmas holiday.

This seems like a doable plan. Have I missed anything? After my 10 min session on the recumbent elliptical at the Y yesterday and the outing to the doctor this morning, my pain level is at 6 and I've taken 10mg of OxyCondone and am elevating and icing. May even take a nap.





RTKA 8 June 2015
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom