Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Have you tried all avenues for assistance in your car hand controls? You are considered disabled and should have assistance programs available to you. Googling your area or state to see what you can find out about assistance programs.

Another thing you can check into is getting on Medicare and Social Security Income until you age into the program. They might be able to help with your car's change.
 
That's great news! There's no place like home, and no bed like our own. You've come such a long way; I know you still have a long recovery road ahead, but looking back you've really achieved a lot. Don't do too much around the house, your body has been through so much and we don't want to see you in the ODIC.

I agree with the others-check into the programs mentioned to see if there's help out there for you.
 
Have you tried all avenues for assistance in your car hand controls? You are considered disabled and should have assistance programs available to you. Googling your area or state to see what you can find out about assistance programs.

Another thing you can check into is getting on Medicare and Social Security Income until you age into the program. They might be able to help with your car's change.
Medicare for non-seniors requires applying for Social Security Disability, a highly adversarial process that can take years of filing appeals.
Not for the faint of heart.
State based employment, disability, and voc rehab programs may be more fruitful.
 
I was on SSI after my 2 kneecap removals. My sister is on it right now. Both of us have joint problems because of birth defects. I'd say that it is worth a try. What can you lose but some time? Ask your doctors about it. I bet they'd be glad to assist you in getting SSI disability.
 
I’ve been home almost a week now and am doing okay. I saw my PCP yesterday to have her take over the scripts from the SNF. As she’s putting them in the system, she let’s me know she’s leaving the practice at the end of October. When I ask her for a recommendation, she says she doesn’t really know any other doctors. So now I need to find a new PCP. I find one who’s in my network and seems to be well thought of on the local Facebook page. My appointment is late January. GRR.

She did send in referrals for Infectious Disease (about 45 min away) and Psych (to make sure my depression/anxiety meds are still appropriate). The Psych referral is local. Now I am waiting to hear from them about appointments.

I’m starting to think about moving to a different town with better access to medical facilities. Somewhere near a teaching hospital, maybe.

Too many things to think about today.
 
Living in a rural area that is underserved in terms of specialists, I sympathize, and understand how overwhelming it can be.
 
I may have a solution to local healthcare. When the home health nurse was here yesterday, she told me a clinic nearby which she recommends. I’d heard good things about it but thought it was a charity clinic (sliding scale). Rather it’s a full-scale medical practice. So I’m in the process of getting my medical records to them so I can make an appointment within a few weeks. Lewisburg may be home after all. Moving is so expensive and exhausting.

OT is coming next week and I’m looking forward to getting tips on better organization for the kitchen and winter dressing (heavy socks and boots).

The PT suggested I might be able to drive after all as I am short (5’2) and so don’t really need to bend the knee too much to drive.
 
The PT suggested I might be able to drive after all as I am short (5’2) and so don’t really need to bend the knee too much to drive.
I'd be very careful about this. You have to be released to drive by your doctor or your insurance probably won't cover you. Most won't. You have to be able to quickly put your foot on to the brake if an emergency stop is needed. I imagine you will be guarding that leg of yours for quite a while and not want to quickly move it. I was released at 6 weeks but didn't try to drive until I took a friend with me and practiced quick stops in an unoccupied parking lot. I felt secure enough at seven weeks out, but still had a friend with me in case I needed her to take over for me on that first time.
 
24 Oct Update - had to cancel appointment with Flap surgeon. My ride had a health emergency. I tried to turn the appointment into a video or audio appointment without success. I am so frustrated. I sent the doc some pics and my questions so maybe they’ll response at the end of the day.

My car hasn’t been driven since I went to the ER in August so the battery has died. Was going to have the ride jump the car and use it to get to the doctor’s. Now, need a different solution...

I am so ready to get back in the car AND get rid of the blasted immobilizer AND walker. I’ve taken a few steps without the immobilizer and while confidence is low. It’s not painful..

Thanks for listening.
 
I’m so sorry. :console2:

Does your surgeon’s office offer any ride services, for getting to and from appointments? I know some PT places do that. Maybe you could also ask about that?
 
Your immobilizer freedom is on the way. I'm sorry about your car battery. Do you have a neighbor you can ask for help?
 
My car hasn’t been driven since I went to the ER in August so the battery has died. Was going to have the ride jump the car and use it to get to the doctor’s. Now, need a different solution...
Aww, that's a shame and certainly a disappointment, I'm sorry.
What about one of the transportation services like Uber or Lyft when you're in a pinch?
 
4 November Update:

The car has a new battery and I have a new shorter immobilizer.

I saw the flap surgeon for the final time on November 1. He said everything looks good and the remaining open wounds will heal. Even though there are currently no signs of infection, I am not “cured.” The infection could come back even years from now.

I asked him about a different immobilizer as the current one is 20” and doesn’t stay in place. He called the joint surgeon (who was scrubbed in) and put him on speaker. The joint surgeon was very concerned about my extension mechanism and said I needed to keep the knee straight when walking. This means using the immobilizer forever or until “she gets fed up…” He suggested an ACL brace which may be a custom one. Wonderful… I see the joint surgeon on 4 Dec so will talk with him more about a different brace. I left the appointment with a 14” immobilizer which still slips but is a bit more manageable. I’ve stopped wearing it at night and during the day at home when I can concentrate on keeping the knee straight. I do wear if I’m going to be up and about for a while doing lots of things.

I asked him about driving and he had “no opinion” as my case was very rare and unusual. I was to use my own judgment. The key here is keeping the leg as straight as possible and not putting any weight on the bended knee (more on this later). IMHO, this is great news. My Subaru has all way power seats so I can lower the seat and put it back quite a bit. I even have have memory settings so I can set them and forget. The day after the appointment, OT came and observed me getting in and out of the care without bending the knee. Friday, I drove three minutes to take two of my dogs to the groomer. It was fantastic! Today, I went to the farmer’s indoor market and to the bagel place. I am thrilled to be driving again. I will take it slow and careful as my adventures today were quite tiring. I am also glad I won’t need to fit the car with hand controls.

Of course, I’m still using the walker and don’t know when/if I’ll transition to a cane.

PT also came Friday and officially d/c me from home health care. There will be no out patient PT as there is nothing they offer that doesn’t include ROM or bending the knee. According to the PT, the only quad strengthening exercise not involving bending the knee is straight leg raises while lying down. I tried last night in bed and couldn’t manage one. GRRRR.

Okay, back to “no weight on bended knee” and what that means. I’ll never be able to get down on the floor and if I fall, I’ll have to call 911 as I’ll not be able to get up unassisted. I’ll have to sell my NuStep recumbent elliptical as I won’t be able to use it. Nor, will I be able to ride a bike or jog. I am pretty sure walking my dogs (one or more at a time) is off the list as well.

I suppose I should be grateful to still have my leg. I am, of course.

This week, I see my new PCP and get a haircut for the first time since July.

Thanks for listening.
 
Congratulations on driving! I remember the joy I felt when I could finally drive again. Enjoy getting your haircut. It makes a girl feel pretty!
 
You drove!!!!! :loveshwr:

I had a custom brace after blowing out my ACL, used it prior to ACL graft surgery and then postop. I expect that's what they mean. It's a hard plastic brace, hinged at the knee with a locking hinge preset to the maximum permitted degree of bend. it tightens with mghty strong velcro bands above and below so being custom made it has minimal slippage. It's really really important to have two or three good lengths of stockinette to wear under the brace, so one can be washed and air dried at a time.
 
Sounds like you are doing great considering everything you have been through.
What about isometric quad tightening exercises until you can build up to straight leg raises? I found isometric quad exercises also very good for relieving that tight band feeling a lot of us get after surgery.
 
I had a custom brace after blowing out my ACL, used it prior to ACL graft surgery and then postop. I expect that's what they mean. It's a hard plastic brace, hinged at the knee with a locking hinge preset to the maximum permitted degree of bend. it tightens with mghty strong velcro bands above and below so being custom made it has minimal slippage. It's really really important to have two or three good lengths of stockinette to wear under the brace, so one can be washed and air dried at a time.

How long was the brace? And what do you mean by stockinette? Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll talk to the doctor about this.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom