Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

What wonderful news, celynda! An early Christmas present of sorts...and the best kind!
I am excited for you to meet with Dr Chalmers and learn what they hope to accomplish with you.
We'll continue to be here for support, so know that. Hugs and best wishes!
@celynda
 
On Dec 19 I have appointments with ID and Dr Chalmers. It’s fantastic to have this organized so fast.
:yay: What a blessing to get in so quickly! Please know that you are being prayed for.
 
That is an impressive response from HSS. Here’s hoping this bodes well for how things are going to proceed. I can’t wait to hear more once you’ve had your appointment. We’ll all be right there in your back pocket for support.
 
Oh that's fast!!! :loveshwr:
 
So very happy to hear this for you! Such good news!
 
21 Dec Update (After HSS visit) ~

My goal for the appointments was to get a plan and I have a plan. The appointment with Dr Andy Miller (ID) went well. He suspects an active PJI (Post Joint Infection) with sinus drainage. He supported the current wound care and antibiotic regimens. He ordered and MRI and blood work (CRP and Sed Rate).

I then saw Brian Chalmers who did the revision in May. He agreed with Miller’s orders. As the drainage is not extensive and I am asymptotic (no fever), there’s nothing emergent to be done. If the infection worsens, HSS’s plan would be two washout surgeries within a week. We can‘t do anything about the implant (revision) until/unless the infection is removed.

The MRI is scheduled for 12/26 at University of Virginia in Charlottesville (2 hours away). I’m okay with the distance as it gives me an opportunity to go to Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and other “big city” stores. My local hospital’s MRI can’t handle the metal. I’ll do the bloodwork next week as well. I’ll send the CD to HSS as I get it.

I asked about PT and he supported that as well with a focus on quad and hip muscles, rather than the knee.

I’m getting a locking brace next week as well. I’l have to pay for it as the doctor’s notes don’t say I have a knee instability. In addition, the fact I have a “knee immobilizer” means I may not be eligible for another brace for years. I don’t understand this and could probably get HSS to submit better notes. The brace price isn’t bad so I’ll just cover it.

This is good news - going into 2024 with a plan.
 
It must be a tremendous relief to finally have a plan in place, @celynda. I'm so glad you were able to be seen by seen quickly and hope your MRI reveals more actionable information.

We will all be sending you positive thoughts and prayers as you continue this journey. Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year.
 
Good Luck and sending positive wishes.
I think you are doing amazingly in the face of all your challenges.
Coping with 2 hour drives still makes me a bit anxious- you are so strong!
 
Wow!!! It's coming together. May 2024 be the year you truly walk towards resolution of this journey. :new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Great news that you have a plan, celynda. Please keep us in the loop as you move through next steps, we'll be here for support all the way. I hope you have a nice Christmas!
@celynda
 
I’m glad your appointments went well. It sounds like the doctors are going to actively support you and deal with your concerns. Hope you enjoy your Christmas! Going into 2024 with a plan sounds like a winner.
 
So happy that you've got a plan coming together.. That has to feel good to you and maybe you can have less to fret about.`

This is good news - going into 2024 with a plan.
Now that is a great way to begin a New Year.!
 
Dec 29 Update ~ The trip to Charlottesville was successful. Before the MRI, I had a grand time shopping at Costco, Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. I took a cooler and filled it up. The back of the car was full of goodies.

The HSS docs have the results. Dr Chalmers said, “I saw the MRI…
I was going to call you to discuss having some of your care locally with one of our HSS former fellows that is at UVA - obviously happy to see you anytime as well, but having someone to go to more locally and to coordinate care and ID is important I think.”


I let him know I was open to seeing anyone he recommended and appreciated the option of returning to HSS if needed.

“Tracy Borsinger at UVA said she can see you and coordinate with their ID team there and communicate with me regularly”

He’s going to call next week with the plan. Since he didn’t say the MRI looked good, I‘m thinking the MRI showed a sinus tract or other problem.

@Jamie - do you have any information about Tracy Borsinger at UVA? Seeing a female Ortho will be a new experience for me.

The lab results were mixed:
  • CBC was normal
  • Sed rate was normal
  • CRP was elevated at 19 (10 is normal)
Of course, it’s had to know what this means. I guess I need to wait until I talk with Dr Chalmers next week. Waiting is the pits. Good news is I have no outward symptoms of an infection.

On another note, during my wound care visit this week, I realized I couldn’t feel the PA aggressively debriefing the two open spots. I can now add Nueropathy to my list of problems. Hopefully, it’s temporary and will go away as the nerves cut during the various surgeries regenerate. I still have the shooting pains into my ankle along with swelling. The HSS docs think the swelling is related to the infection.

Thanks for reading and your support. This forum is a godsend! May 2024 be a better year.
 
Thank you for the update... yay for progress! Sending a huge ((hug)) and best wishes for 2024.
 
May 2024 be a better year.
2024 will be a better year for you. You are on the road to recovery having great doctors on your team! We will be following your progress! God bless you!
 
This sounds good. I’m not familiar with this surgeon, but if she comes with an HSS recommendation, I’d say she’ll be a good one for you. I hope you can get in to see her soon. Please let us know how things go and post if you have any questions or concerns.
 
I had a good conversation with Dr Chalmers this week. The blood work was okay and the MRI didn’t show any sinus tract. With the infection suppressed under the current antibiotic plan, there is nothing urgent to be done. Should things change, he had a couple of ideas neither of which included an amputation :console2:.

I have an appointment with Dr Tracy Borsinger (UVA) on Jan 30. I’ve also requested Dr Miller to send a referral to their ID group to get established with them as well.

Dr Chalmers remains on my case should a consult or return visit is required. Dr Borsinger comes highly recommended even though she is relatively inexperienced orthopedic surgeon having completed her residency in 2022 and the HSS fellowship in 2023. The BoneSmart philosophy is to seek out the most qualified and experienced OS available. I am glad to have HSS as a backup.
 
even though she is relatively inexperienced orthopedic surgeon having completed her residency in 2022 and the HSS fellowship in 2023. The BoneSmart philosophy is to seek out the most qualified and experienced OS available.
While I realize they need to get experience, I’d want a doctor with a lot more experience taking care of me, in a case this serious. Just my opinion.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom