TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

So happy for you! I know what you mean about it being over and that is just a fabulous feeling! I hope recovery continues with no complications. Aroma therapy really helped me to stay relaxed when my pain spiked. I've and elevation are wonderful. My Ortho didn't believe in elevating we had a strong difference of opinion about that. Remember you know what helps your body! Your in my prayers. One day at a time friend.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope the day went well for you. We all do want we have to, tomorrow I'm sure will be resting, icing and elevating. I'll bet your son appreciates your effort.
 
My long six week update: I am driving and getting around okay, but I still limp and bring the cane when I am out and about. I decided to go to outpatient PT for a while, mostly because I don't want my OS to give me grief about my compliance, or lack of. My insurance covers it, anyway. The day before PT I had pulled my hamstring (back of knee thru groin and glute) somehow and was hurting all night. It hurt to walk first thing in a.m., and none too thrilled about going to PT. However the pain had eased somewhat by my 4 pm appointment. I need not have worried- it was mostly eval, followed by a couple of basic exercises that I do all the time at home (duh). The therapist measured me at +7°/106°, which I believe were impacted by my pulled muscle and her insistence on measuring while I lay uncomfortably flat on my back with a cramping hamstring. I think my #'s will be be a bit better next time. She practically begged me to let her try ultrasound on the back of my knee, and I allowed it. I felt absolutely no difference, so we won't do that again. I also refused the interferential e-stim, as it did zero/nothing for me last time, and I told her sorry, but she's never going to massage my incision line. Non-compliant!

This PT office has the special pool, which I am VERY interested in, however it is currently under repair. When I see my OS I will ask for a prescription for Aquatic Therapy. Hopefully I'll be running in that warm water soon.

About pain meds: my therapist expressed concern that I'm not taking anything anymore (I'll explain that momentarily) because some of the work she'll be doing with me is "sure to cause considerable pain". HA! No, it won't because I know my rights. :rofsign:

More on pain meds- I weaned gradually from percocet 5/325. I tapered first the frequency, then the dosage, until I was down to 1/2 tablet q8 hrs for two weeks, then q12 last week. Figuring that was a minimal-enough dose, I just stopped. Well... by Friday night I had a runny nose, pounding heart, chills, neck and back ache, nausea, jumpiness, and a searing migraine. I considered going to the ER, but they would have given me morphine for sure, and I didn't want to start over. So I toughed it out, ate nothing but weak chicken noodle soup and crackers, and made it through the weekend. Migraine medicine (Immitrex) and tylenol helped, but only a little. I feel 100% better now. I don't want anyone reading this to worry about narcotic withdrawal- I am a notorious lightweight who just doesn't tolerate much. I didn't get withdrawal symptoms after my first TKR, I think, because I stopped percocet within two weeks post op. This surgery I had different, sharper pain that made me cry (literally), so I kept the meds up longer. But I won't take percocet again no matter what PT thinks about it. Besides, I have to drive!

Oh, I almost forgot- I have had several hot baths already and it was glorious. I initially worried about getting in and out of the tub because my right knee has always been the dominant one, but thankfully I have decent arm strength.

My patella was "jumping" for a while when I straightened my leg in a certain way, but non-painfully. I can't reproduce it this morning, so hopefully it was just one of those things. Everyone take care and have a great day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You sound good and strong about your needs and limitations. I have yet to get down into the bathtub but it is getting colder here so it is coming. And if you can do it at 6 weeks, I should be able to garner the nerve to try it at 4 months.
:umm:

BTW, I am still not using Strava because it keeps going defunct on my iPhone. I will have plenty of time this winter to figure it out.
 
@Wanttobebiking , try uninstalling & reinstalling the app. I use Strava for even little walks around my neighborhood, because I Iike to know how far I've gone. It is exactly 0.2 miles to the center of the park near my house. Silly, I know.
 
Not silly at all. I have the Garmin Vivofit and I monitor miles and steps all the time. The trouble is it doesn't give me much credit for swimming and I have to put it on my shoe when I bike. I am checking out the new garmin smartwatch and I have my eye on the garmin edge, but truly my focus has been on work and my knee. Will have to sort out the electronics over the winter.

Amazing that you are already 6 weeks post-op. Congratulations!
 
I'll have a different one if I get approved for Aquatic Therapy. Yesterday's PT was actually very nice, and did nothing that hurt me. Her comment was a little odd, but I won't let her cause pain. I mostly want to work on my gait.
 
I found a website that will calculate calories lost by putting in your weight, speed, and amount of time biking. It does swimming too, by typing in length of pool, laps and weight.
 
Hi @Clipless Diana - found your thread and caught up. Love the Zipties - unfortunately they are a privately held company so no opportunity to buy stock! :tantrum2:

So glad your recovery seems to be going so well. As you noted, each knee and each recovery is different. I experienced the same - minimal bruising on the right; massive on the left.

I got the UP by Jawbone for monitoring my hikes, steps, workouts, calories burned, and food. Really like it. When my original UP24 stopped functioning, the company was great about replacing it right away with the UP 2. I was on my way to Spain to hike the Compostela de Santiago and they got it to me in time! I have a nickel allergy, so cannot use some of the products which have exposed metal on the inside of the band/watch. No problems with the UP.

Sitting here watching the skies grey up - we SOOOO need a good soaking in SoCal!!
 
@Clipless I have a question. How do you know when aquatic exercise is what is needed? What is the difference about doing it in 'Y' open swim or one with your own PT?
 
@Clipless I have a question. How do you know when aquatic exercise is what is needed? What is the difference about doing it in 'Y' open swim or one with your own PT?
Great questions... #1) I have no idea, but I will hazard a guess: if you enjoy being in the water, and if you can find a PT place with the special pool, go for it! Just ask your doctor to write you a prescription for Physical Therapy that includes the words "Aquatic Therapy". At my PT clinic the incision must be fully healed (no scabs).
#2) The difference between doing it on your own vs with PT: Again, haven't started yet, but I believe the therapist would use their training to direct your movements toward a specific therapeutic goal- more flexion, better gait, etc. After my first TKR I had to travel some and took advantage of hotel pools and jacuzzis along the way. I have zero training in PT, so I just walked back and forth, kicked gently, and practiced a few lunge-type maneuvers. It felt great!

Here is a video from my PT clinic that hopefully explains it better:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@NightQuilter , thanks for stopping by! How fortunate that you knew about your nickel allergy in advance and got the safe implants.

When I heal up let's meet for a hike on one of the Backbone segments! I've still got a lot of healing to do, but I will pm you my contact info.

Happy Thanksgiving!
 
@Clipless that pool looks fab, I did some aqua aerobics before my op & found it was so helpful, maybe when I go for my PT at hospital they may refer me to use the pool.:egypdance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom