THR Recovery in Labrador

Thanks Jan thus why I just seemed to rush out my friend I'd never just ditch a friend for no reason
 
10th week report -

I feel great! Every day I am grateful for this surgery and for the miracle of this bit of stainless steel, titanium and ceramic that replaced the used up hip that was there. I'm grateful for the surgeon's skill, the kind and competent nurses and those that supported them so I could literally get on my feet. I'm grateful for my loving and patient fella, who knew I was still in here - huddled in a dark cave of pain, and waited to find me again. I'm grateful for my friends and family who - though most living afar - wrapped me in concern and sent me care packages with pyjamas and chocolate and tiny birds. And I'm grateful for the lovely folk here on BoneSmart who went before and lit the path of recovery!

You that come behind me, here are my words to keep you buoyed up:

1. This is your recovery - not your neighbor's or your Aunt Sue's. You must do it your way.
2. Consider taking on a totem animal such as the tortoise or the snail. Remind yourself that there are many things best done slow - aging wine cannot be rushed, love-making, creating a culinary masterpiece - all of these are better when done slowly.
3. Surround yourself with positive people. Turn naysayers from your door kindly but firmly.
4. If you have so much as one creative cell in your body engage it. You will be glad of it. After all this could be the later you were waiting for!
5. Consider the miracle of how you came to get a new hip - all the circumstances that were involved to make it happen.

Okily dokily - time for me to get out of bed and (gently) seize the day!
 
I like your point #2 and your comparison to wine above. Going into surgery last week I constantly reminded myself how lucky I am to live in 2017 and not 1967. 50 years ago I probably had zero options other than medication and dealing with the pain. I may have been wheel chair bound for life 50 years ago. Today so far is a really good day and I look forward to my 10 week post. Continued good luck and healing to you!
 
Hi @labanan

No, I am not this weekend, which is very unusual. We are going to a place called Clevedon tomorrow. It's just under an hour away, on the coast and it will be gently does it, some walking, coffee, people watching and general chilling!

Sunday is Fathers' Day over here and so I will need to clear some space for the huge presents I expect to receive from my two (adult) sons ....

The weather forecast for the weekend is excellent, so fingers crossed. I won't even take a ukulele with me!

With best wishes
Peter
 
Touche for your post about gratitude. Well said... My sentiments exactly!!!
Best of luck as you continue on your journey.
 
I am sorry to report @labanan that I did give in to the inevitable and had a strum this evening. I am trying to learn "Over my Shoulder" and it's a lot harder than it looks. I am also trying to learn "New Amsterdam", one of my favourite Elvis Costello songs and am having more success with that!

Hope all continues to go well
Peter
 
Well, who knows @PS46 aka Peter, perhaps I'll take out my button-accordion and try to learn Oh My Darling Clementine once again!
 
I wish I had a beach to go walk on. Sounds like you are doing good. I could probably vacuum if I had to. When we moved into our new house three years ago, I talked my wife into letting us buy a roomba. We have four cats. We call our roomba Rosie, after the Jetson's maid. Rosie does an outstanding job on car hair.
 
Oh I'm positive I could vacuum. But the deal with the fella is that I do bathrooms and he does floors! Both of us think we have the better deal (but I do!) We both cook as we both eat! Ha - no we both love cooking. I do the dishes because he does the snow clearing. Our house is too convoluted for a Rosie though I love anything Jetsons (or Flintstone come to think of it- mmm...brontosaurus ribs!).

And I'm still doing swell except it is cold and rainy here.
 
11th week report:

I just read my entire thread. So glad I kept this sort of journal. I'm continuing to do well. I haven't touched the cane in awhile. My walking is going fine though this last week has been rainy and cool. I'm still filled up to the brim with gratitude for this surgery.

Today is the fella's and my 15th anniversary. We were going for a paddle and picnic but it was too rainy so we went to town and had a late lunch. Tonight we watched "A Man Called Ove". I'm crazy about my fella - we're so glad we found each other! Next week we're setting out for Ontario and then Nova Scotia. We'll have to stop lots for walking but that's okay. When we leave Ottawa to travel to Nova Scotia we'll travel along the St. Lawrence River. I love that ramble - so pretty. Last year we did it the other way - first to Nova Scotia and then to Ontario and we went through the states which I love too but not this year!

I'm working on my 14th doll. The new series are circus performers. So far I have a bare-back rider and a clown. The time is 1926 and the name of the circus is Queen Zirconia's Circus of Curious Delights.

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
Wow Jan your progress is phenomenal.

I can tell you're smitten with your husband. I think you could speak just of him and it would Shine through. Happy Anniversary

Your trip sounds lovely. Have fun.
 
Happy Anniversary Jan! Glad to hear you had such a lovely day. Time flies, doesn't it? I am amazed that it is 11 wks already for you- and pleased that your recovery is going so well. Have a great trip. I am in Portugal at the moment and enjoying the sunshine and hot weather. It makes such a difference to be able to swim and go for walks every day - lovely!
Enjoy your travels,
Diane x
 
Thanks @MyAussieGirl ! Yes, I'm smitten with him and he with me. It took me fifty years to find him but he is worth waiting for.

Hi @Delphi aka Diane - ooh, can't wait to swim! Portugal - how lovely! And simply being able to move without pain is super, isn't it!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom